The 280PS Thread

I know the Golf is smaller, but before buying a 280 superb, did anyone do a comparison with a Golf R or R estate ?

the base price for a 280 Superb Sportline Estate isn't that far off the base for a Golf R estate, but I expect it would be different when specc'd up to the same levels.

Talk to "Old Newbie 2" on here, he test drove the 280 and then went for the Golf R Estate 

• Like 1

The clue is in "On US-spec Gen3 TSI engines, the lower engine cover is not included and the intake manifold it covers definitely isn't the prettiest. ECS has found the proper cover from the European Market and paired it with the correct ball stud for direct fitment." 

Apparently you can order the "kit" from your local dealer if you know the part numbers :)

The way it was explained to me the cover is from an older engine version and does not fit the MK7 golf and Superb 280 directly thus the need of the US company to create the necessary fitment kit.

• Like 1

I know the Golf is smaller, but before buying a 280 superb, did anyone do a comparison with a Golf R or R estate ?

the base price for a 280 Superb Sportline Estate isn't that far off the base for a Golf R estate, but I expect it would be different when specc'd up to the same levels.

I drove the Golf estate, and many more cars I considered purchasing. In addition to the smaller dimensions I found the ride harsher and the base spec a bit too 'poor' compared to the L&K.

On the other hand I found it more enjoyable in stock trim to drive than the Superb so it all depends on expectations/needs.

I have been in many stage 3 Golf R's and while these are a little quicker than mine I find that they are not a family friendly car anymore, unlike the superb which is a proper Jekyll and Hyde machine when properly modified, more similar to an RS6 than a modified Golf or Cupra.

Just my 2p :)

• Like 1

The way it was explained to me the cover is from an older engine version and does not fit the MK7 golf and Superb 280 directly thus the need of the US company to create the necessary fitment kit.

The was a guy on here called Tom (he had a Golf R hatch at the time) and he looked into it as the lack of the cover does look a bit pants IMHO, I think that by the time you got the cover and the ball ended fixings it was well over £150.00 which is pretty mad for a bit of plastic and a couple of metal fastenings. 

• Like 2

The was a guy on here called Tom (he had a Golf R hatch at the time) and he looked into it as the lack of the cover does look a bit pants IMHO, I think that by the time you got the cover and the ball ended fixings it was well over £150.00 which is pretty mad for a bit of plastic and a couple of metal fastenings. 

So maybe getting the one from the US for $117 all in is not bad, especially if someone can bring one during a trip there.

So maybe getting the one from the US for $117 all in is not bad, especially if someone can bring one during a trip there.

You could be right there, now who do I know that's going to the US .......................................

Talk to "Old Newbie 2" on here, he test drove the 280 and then went for the Golf R Estate 

We were looking to replace SWMBO's Octy 2 FL hatchback, & since she decided that she didn't want to take-over my Superb the replacement had to be a sensible-sized car, smaller than a Superb Wagon.

A Golf GTi hatch was too small, Leon ST Cupra was probably big enough but looked like a Seat inside, she won't have an Octy 3 vRS, Audi's are too expensive so we had to consider

purchasing an R estate.

With DCC & 18" wheels the ride is OK, it did indeed require some expensive options but we did get a decent discount so we kept he cost down, & the residuals will probably better than a Superb.

Back then (early '16) we weren't impressed with the performance of the 2 x 280 estates that we drove, but would have been quite happy otherwise to own one.

Time of course moves on & I'm now considering replacing my Superb with a new (ish?) car. We have a test drive in a 280 booked for tomorrow, watch this space for our comments.....

DC

• Like 1

We were looking to replace SWMBO's Octy 2 FL hatchback, & since she decided that she didn't want to take-over my Superb the replacement had to be a sensible-sized car, smaller than a Superb Wagon.

A Golf GTi hatch was too small, Leon ST Cupra was probably big enough but looked like a Seat inside, she won't have an Octy 3 vRS, Audi's are too expensive so we had to consider

purchasing an R estate.

With DCC & 18" wheels the ride is OK, it did indeed require some expensive options but we did get a decent discount so we kept he cost down, & the residuals will probably better than a Superb.

Back then (early '16) we weren't impressed with the performance of the 2 x 280 estates that we drove, but would have been quite happy otherwise to own one.

Time of course moves on & I'm now considering replacing my Superb with a new (ish?) car. We have a test drive in a 280 booked for tomorrow, watch this space for our comments.....

DC

Let me know how you get on DC :)

Let me know how you get on DC :)

Well, we got on quite nicely, lot;s of shopping traffic on Sunday but the sales guy found some reasonably quiet roads.

Never got the chance to get above 70 mph, but easy to drive, feels smaller than it is, too much noise from the back (estate running on Pirrelli Cinturatos) but still not

as responsive as I expected.

(Problem for us, is that our Superb 2 is in quite nice shape, has just reached 23K miles & the AMD 251 ps remap has made it quite nippy & reasonably economical too...)

This car (66 plate) had taller gearing than I expected, the long-term avg. fuel consumption = 25 mpg, not good but maybe used for short trips & demos only.

Compared to an R estate, quality as in fit & finish is at least 95% as nice, so that's not a problem, I'd also think that the oily bits are the same, it certainly had the ventilated

rear discs as per an R but are not fitted to the 220's. 

Bigger car, mostly better equipped than an un-optioned Golf, but with too many small items as options rather than std. fit. Not a problem if you buy new, but make selecting a used car a PITA!

Performance, on paper not much in it at all, but the Golf feels much more urgent when pushed. Both cars are very flexible / docile in traffic, unlike the tuned cars of yesteryear.

If I had to make a choice (& I didn't already own a nice Superb 2....) then a new Superb3 would just win, on size, capability & comfort.

Financially, I'm not so sure, when we ordered the Golf we compared PCP deals, & ignoring the different interest rates the MGFW's were really low on the Superb, especially when compared with the Golf.

Not too surprising, but depreciation is the biggest expense when owning a car, so it does influence one's thinking.

Since it's VW finance setting the figures, I'm hoping that their Crystal Ball estimates are accurate for both brands, but, who knows?  

I'm thinking that the Superb will be more affordable than the Golf when they are 2 years old, so maybe I'll wait for another year or so before unlocking my wallet!

So, for us it's either keep the Superb for a few years, & do nothing for now, or maybe replace the EOS with another newer "fun" car.

Doesn't need to be a convertible, or very large but DSG would be required, as would decent performance.

Nothing concrete in mind just yet but we have driven a Cupra 290, v. quick of course but a little grey inside, Other options might include a Polo GTi, but after that we

are running out of ideas! 

Hope you enjoyed the waffle, DC

• Like 1

All owners with the Pirelli Cinturato P7's find them noisy (including me), I believe the residuals on VW's will always be better than the Skoda although I think in the UK thats driven by badge snobbery than any real tangible reason as I'd put my Superb up against a Passat any day and the fact that the Passat is diesel only in the UK is a major turn off for me and a bit short sighted by VW especially as the anti diesel ground swell is getting stronger here with local councils charging more for parking permits for diesels in CPZ's in London.

I like the Golf but think they are expensive compared to the opposition.

I've never been really impressed with the fit/finish of Seat's so they wouldn't really be an option for me, I'll be interested in which direction my Brother goes when he changes his car next time (he currently has an TSI VRS Octavia Mk3) as he can only just get that in his garage and get out of it. The Rapid would be a non-starter as unfortunately it isn't rapid! 

If your Superb isn't costing you anything I'd keep that to be honest ;)

• Like 1

Never got the chance to get above 70 mph, but easy to drive, feels smaller than it is, too much noise from the back (estate running on Pirrelli Cinturatos) but still not

as responsive as I expected.

yes, Pirrellis are very noisy, but that are just small part of all noises

after any Škoda you will feel high improvement, but after Audi 100, Hyundai Sonata, Peugeout 508 you will say WTF

while in high speeds, my top score is 180km/h on 130km/h track, is comparable or better,

then in low speeds it is awful

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/skoda/superb/20-tsi-280-sport-line-4x4-5dr-dsg/first-drive

Skoda marketing people won’t like liberal use of the word ‘cheap’, but relatively speaking it’s true of course.

Like I’ve said before, the seats are nice, but I can certainly do without the ‘go-faster’ look, especially as my car already goes faster without feeling the need to shout about it.

All owners with the Pirelli Cinturato P7's find them noisy (including me)

It's saying something that I actually look forward to switching to my "noisy" winter tyres because they're so much quieter than the P7.

You can stick these "Eco" tyres :sick: somewhere where the sun don't shine.

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/skoda/superb/20-tsi-280-sport-line-4x4-5dr-dsg/first-drive

Skoda marketing people won’t like liberal use of the word ‘cheap’, but relatively speaking it’s true of course.

Like I’ve said before, the seats are nice, but I can certainly do without the ‘go-faster’ look, especially as my car already goes faster without feeling the need to shout about it.

I think it's a good alternative to a vRS Octavia, but not as garish as a vRS 230.

In the right colour, (Corrida Red.....) a 280 Estate would stand out in the crowd of metallic grey cars on UK roads.  

It would look good in the garage alongside the Tombstone Grey Golf.......

DC

• Like 1

yes, Pirrellis are very noisy, but that are just small part of all noises

after any Škoda you will feel high improvement, but after Audi 100, Hyundai Sonata, Peugeout 508 you will say WTF

while in high speeds, my top score is 180km/h on 130km/h track, is comparable or better,

then in low speeds it is awful

I had bunch of noise on bad roads and after spending couple of hours with a friend we pin point all the noise creating things in the boot like tire pump, screw driver and sealant bottle, safety triangle  we warped them with sticky cloth tape. also the dog net (i have the combi) was making noise where the metal hooks rub against plastic mounts. We fixed all these and now the car is very silent on bad roads. Still i have some loose bottles of cleaning stuff that are making noise and i will take care of it later but no DSG noise like in this video and no suspension noise as well. 

All owners with the Pirelli Cinturato P7's find them noisy (including me), I believe the residuals on VW's will always be better than the Skoda although I think in the UK thats driven by badge snobbery than any real tangible reason as I'd put my Superb up against a Passat any day and the fact that the Passat is diesel only in the UK is a major turn off for me and a bit short sighted by VW especially as the anti diesel ground swell is getting stronger here with local councils charging more for parking permits for diesels in CPZ's in London.

I like the Golf but think they are expensive compared to the opposition.

I've never been really impressed with the fit/finish of Seat's so they wouldn't really be an option for me, I'll be interested in which direction my Brother goes when he changes his car next time (he currently has an TSI VRS Octavia Mk3) as he can only just get that in his garage and get out of it. The Rapid would be a non-starter as unfortunately it isn't rapid! 

If your Superb isn't costing you anything I'd keep that to be honest ;)

Touching a complete tree, as I write, the SuperB is running well. It managed 38 mpg this AM on a shopping run to/from Maldon on slowish country roads & 35 mpg to/from

Tunbridge Wells Skoda on Sunday at slightly higher speeds......

If your brother does need a slightly smaller car, then maybe he should consider a Golf Estate.

At list prices then they are expensive, but we both know a man that knows another man who is prepared to talk discounts.............

As for a Rapid, they're nice as courtesy cars but you'd not want to own one!

TTFN, DC   

Tun

Touching a complete tree, as I write, the SuperB is running well. It managed 38 mpg this AM on a shopping run to/from Maldon on slowish country roads & 35 mpg to/from

Tunbridge Wells Skoda on Sunday at slightly higher speeds......

If your brother does need a slightly smaller car, then maybe he should consider a Golf Estate.

At list prices then they are expensive, but we both know a man that knows another man who is prepared to talk discounts.............

As for a Rapid, they're nice as courtesy cars but you'd not want to own one!

TTFN, DC   

Tun

It would have to be the Golf Estate as he couldn't get his golf clubs and trolley in the back of the hatchback :D

It sounds like your Superb is a keeper tbh DC :)

• Like 1