The 280PS Thread

Can anyone explain how launch control changes start behavior on the 280? Can you use it without putting it in „ESC Sport” mode? Any opinion if this feature reduces lifespan of various transmission components?

@ionelmc It's in the owner's manual, certainly the UK version...

Launch control
The launch control function allows the vehicle in mode S or Tiptronic to reach its maximum acceleration when starting off.
› Disable the TCS - Braking and stabilisation systems.
› START STOP deactivate - Manually deactivating/activating the system.
› Fully depress and hold the brake pedal with your left foot.

› Fully depress the accelerator pedal with your right foot.
› Release the brake pedal.
The vehicle starts off with maximum acceleration.
› Reactivate the TCS and START STOP when the desired speed has been reached.

It's not something you'd do as standard. You'd look pretty stupid sat with the engine revving at 4000 rpm every time you stop, not to mention the resulting fuel consumption.

I tried it twice just because I could. The first time at 280 PS I extricated myself out of the back seat, the second time at 350 PS I extricated myself out of the boot.

The engine and transmission are well capable of handling it but, like any mechanical component, if you push it hard too often you will increase wear and reduce MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures).

• Like 4

On 2/27/2017 at 10:28, philpix said:

Looks great still prefer Phoenix Anthracite alloys though. Enjoy :)

I really like them too and nearly bought a pair as a winter set. What worried me was that every set of diamond cut alloys, I have had in the past, have eventually got white worm despite waxes/protection etc. And the phoenix has large areas of diamond cut waiting for this to happen and trigger the OCDP in me.

Still contemplating what to get as a winter/alternative alloy set.

3 minutes ago, indyjukebox said:

I really like them too and nearly bought a pair as a winter set. What worried me was that every set of diamond cut alloys, I have had in the past, have eventually got white worm despite waxes/protection etc. And the phoenix has large areas of diamond cut waiting for this to happen and trigger the OCDP in me.

Still contemplating what to get as a winter/alternative alloy set.

Exactly the opposite to me then:

19” Phoenix Anthracite L&K summer wheels

19” Vega Anthracite SportLine winter wheels :D

On 7/13/2016 at 00:12, BillyJim said:

I haven't fitted the RaceChip Ultimate yet.

The RaceChip Response Control took a mere 5 minutes to fit.

It has 6 settings divided into 2 Eco, 2 Sport, and 2 Sport+. The lower Sport+ suits my driving style best.

Just imagine the throttle with zero lag = instant response; across the entire rev range.

My biggest bugbear with the default throttle response (even with the "Audi" setting) occurs when braking for junctions. When I could see it was clear before stopping, applying acceleration resulted in a lag before the engine responded.

Not any more.

I could ramble on about the Response Control, but the simple verdict is "what a fantastic bit of kit".

Hi BillyJim, did you find a convenient place to "hide" the Response Control box?  

Just now, Prykey said:

Hi BillyJim, did you find a convenient place to "hide" the Response Control box?  

The cubby hole under the light switch is a perfect place for them!

Just now, Gizmo68 said:

The cubby hole under the light switch is a perfect place for them!

Sounds good, I take it that its easy to feed the wiring into that location!?

Dead easy as the cubby hole comes out so no modifications are required to get the cables connected, takes about 5 mins to fit 1st time round and a couple of mins to remove.

Just now, Gizmo68 said:

Dead easy as the cubby hole comes out so no modifications are required to get the cables connected, takes about 5 mins to fit 1st time round and a couple of mins to remove.

Am I right in thinking that there is a switch to turn the box of and return the car to normal for servicing etc as I don't know if I could be bothered to remove it every time ;)

3 minutes ago, Prykey said:

Am I right in thinking that there is a switch to turn the box of and return the car to normal for servicing etc as I don't know if I could be bothered to remove it every time ;)

Yes mate just press the on/off button. ;) 

9 minutes ago, Prykey said:

ON / OFF and 6 personalised settings 

(ignore the pedal in the photo, the S3 pedal has the plug on the top making it easier to get to)

product-stage.png

Edited by Gizmo68

Just now, Gizmo68 said:

ON / OFF and 6 personalised settings 

There are 12 in theory mate as you have the six modes on the Response Control, and the ability to have the DSG in sport or normal. It alters the map quite significantly, and depending on mode chosen can actually give a nice sporty drive without bouncing off the rev limiter all day, which is handy. RaceChip advertise it as 12 modes now for that reason. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Looks like I'm going to have to break the piggy bank open as the throttle response really annoys me, its far better in Sports Mode but I'd rather not be hanging onto a lower gear when driving on the congested streets of London.

3 minutes ago, Prykey said:

Didn't feel the need to hide it. Mounted it with the supplied velcro to the left of the steering column close to the centre console as shown below. Any higher and the steering wheel blocks my view. I fed the cable behind the floor carpet and tucked it behind the plastic of the centre console. There was very little excess cable to tidy away.

IMG_0415.jpg

I didn't bother removing it when it went in for service. I just switched it off.

5 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

Didn't feel the need to hide it. Mounted it with the supplied velcro to the left of the steering column close to the centre console as shown below. Any higher and the steering wheel blocks my view. I fed the cable behind the floor carpet and tucked it behind the plastic of the centre console. There was very little excess cable to tidy away.

IMG_0415.jpg

I didn't bother removing it when it went in for service. I just switched it off.

Cheers for the photo :)

On 3/23/2017 at 13:38, wooyay said:

I notice the guys at PistonHeads are now running a 280 Estate Sportline in their fleet for their load lugging duties for the next year.

Skoda Superb Estate 280: PH Fleet

I read this with interest.  The other half is enjoying her Superb 2.0 150 DSG SE-L Estate and I really, really like the car - to the point I am considering getting one at the expense of my Merc A45 AMG ... nothing wrong with the Mercedes but the idea of total stealth in a Skoda with effectively a Golf R engine in it and 4WD is soooo tempting !   That and I would be able to use the power of the 280 Skoda a bit more than the 380 in the A45.  

A bit frustrating this:

It concerns the door trims that were replaced on recall, but is nevertheless 280-specific as you’ll see.

Travelling on the autobahn, I started to get bad wind noise / whistling from the passenger door from about 120 mph. At 150 or so mph or became horrendous. The other door was just fine.

A mechanic at a dealership over here had a quick look at the trim, but could see no obvious problem. So unless it can be tested by a mechanic at 120+ mph – which it clearly cannot – it looks like I’ll have to live with the imperfection.

PS: Sat in a Kodiaq. Not my thing, but I guess people who like those sorts of vehicles might take to it. Bland was my first impression.

3 hours ago, eurotraveller said:

A bit frustrating this:

It concerns the door trims that were replaced on recall, but is nevertheless 280-specific as you’ll see.

Travelling on the autobahn, I started to get bad wind noise / whistling from the passenger door from about 120 mph. At 150 or so mph or became horrendous. The other door was just fine.

A mechanic at a dealership over here had a quick look at the trim, but could see no obvious problem. So unless it can be tested by a mechanic at 120+ mph – which it clearly cannot – it looks like I’ll have to live with the imperfection.

PS: Sat in a Kodiaq. Not my thing, but I guess people who like those sorts of vehicles might take to it. Bland was my first impression.

Windtunnel testing? It's going to be a rare UK dealer that will consider that... :-)

I'm an ex 4X4 driver and do like the look of the Kodiaq. I would have considered one but the timings didn't work for my circumstances and impatience. What I really don't understand though are the people with children who seem to turn to SUVs as family vehicles, hence the proliferation of 2WD versions. I can think of little more pointless (or embarrassing on arrival at a deep puddle) than accepting the compromises of an SUV without all 4 wheels being driven.

5 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

What I really don't understand though are the people with children who seem to turn to SUVs as family vehicles...

I think it's the feeling of invulnerability you get when you sit up high, looking over the traffic. I'll bet it's the husband's choice of a family runabout, rather than the wife's. I've seen women behind the wheel of Range Rovers that look like they'd need a stepladder to get out.

Having said that, my favourite ride was a 1980 GMC van that had the engine cover between the front seats. You actually sat right over the front axle. Talk about visibility. Well, forwards anyway...

4 hours ago, freelunch said:

I think it's the feeling of invulnerability you get when you sit up high, looking over the traffic. I'll bet it's the husband's choice of a family runabout, rather than the wife's. I've seen women behind the wheel of Range Rovers that look like they'd need a stepladder to get out.

Having said that, my favourite ride was a 1980 GMC van that had the engine cover between the front seats. You actually sat right over the front axle. Talk about visibility. Well, forwards anyway...

I understand the lofty view, but more and more SUV type vehicles seem to even lack that to a great extent. I just find it odd.

Anyway, I'm taking the thread way off topic - my apologies!

Edited by CheshireBumpkin