Turning off rear wiper

VAGCF

When driving in rain on Friday night the rear wiper was wiping intermittently. Trouble was I wasn't driving fast enough (down lanes) for any water to be sucked onto the rear screen so the wipe was on a dry screen.

Whilst "helpful" tech. has its uses now and again I'm one of those folks who wants to decide when something happens with some things (the human brain is still a better judge in some circumstances :D ) not when the designers think it should!

Looking at the control stalk I couldn't see any way of operating the rear wash wiper, unless I'm missing something? Looking at the handbook I can see that you can turn off the auto wipe via the menu but how do you then operate the wiper manually? 

On my 2014 model you push the right hand stalk away from you to turn on the rear wiper and further still for the washer. It may have changed on the very latest model though?

On my 2014 model you push the right hand stalk away from you to turn on the rear wiper and further still for the washer. It may have changed on the very latest model though?

It's the same on my F/L model too.

Rear wiper is manual operation only. Push or pull the right stalk.

I'm not wishing to be rude, but is this post a "wind up".

On my 2010 Yeti it's the same as the two other replies. Also when driving in rain with wipers on and headlights on, the rear wiper will automatically wipe intermittently with the "off" position selected.

It's the same on my F/L model too.

Rear wiper is manual operation only. Push or pull the right stalk.

No it aint.

I think both Urrell and Anzio's  last posts are correct - in that it is configurable in the Maxidot:

Automatic rear window wiper

If the windscreen wiper is in position 2 » Fig. 37 on page 52 or 3 the rear window
is wiped every 30 or 10 seconds if the vehicle's speed exceeds 5 km/h.
When the rain sensor is active (the lever is in the position 1 ) the function is only
active if the windscreen wipers operate in continuous mode (no break between
each wiping process).
Activation/deactivation
The function of the automatic rear window wiper is activated/deactivated in the
information display in the menu:
■ Settings

■ Lights and visibility 

Jim

Edited by muddyjim
  • Like 2

I'm not wishing to be rude, but is this post a "wind up".

On my 2010 Yeti it's the same as the two other replies. Also when driving in rain with wipers on and headlights on, the rear wiper will automatically wipe intermittently with the "off" position selected.

No, Anzio, it's not a wind up but a serious question! :D

Your second sentence is what I don't want it to do, with lights on or off. I want to decide when the rear screen needs clearing!

I've had plenty of Audis and VW's in the past and haven't had a problem.

I'm also pretty handy and can usually understand manuals but in this case I failed miserably on both counts and was obviously being thick! :D Though at least my understanding of being able to turn off via the menu/Maxidot was correct. I assume this leaves the auto operation when selecting reverse in place though?

Thanks to everyone for their replies and advice.

Good day (unfortunately) for having a play with the wiper controls! 

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

I did say I didn't wish to appear rude. Third sentence making me think of a wind up. Glad you are all sorted now.

No problem, I would have probably have thought the same myself if the roles had been reversed! :D

Had the same issue last night, heavy rain and slow speed, and of course with the near vertical rear screen very little falling rain gets onto it.

So this morning, before setting off to work I went into the menu and turned off the auto. wipe function, so I'm happy now!

And of course when looking at the stalk I realised I was having a "thick" moment as regards the manual operation! :D

Though in my defence (as weak as it is :x ) I don't have a rear wash/wipe on my TT and the Fiat Stilo, which I've been driving for two years has a rotary switch for the wash/wipe.

Whilst talking of wind-ups. The only one I've actually done on a forum was on a Triumph motorcycle one, where I posted that I'd lost a plastic valve cap off one of the wheels and where could I get an OEM one. I expected all sorts of abuse but all I got was sensible replies! :D