Length of Notice period?

preston334

Morning all. Well yesterday evening, I finally got the news that I been waiting for nearly 2 weeks. I was offered a job with our main client on the 17th July, pending a satisfactory medical last week. Medically I passed it as fit, but due to declaring my heart condition and medication, I had to see a doctor, just for further details and she declared me fit without restrictions for the vacancy, so the agency has been made aware and have started the ball rolling.

Now on my form I did state I have to give a months notice, but the agency said the client is keen for me to start asp.

As I was off on long term sick from last July to end of March, I've return to work on a temporary part time contract of 2 days per week, but at times I've worked more days as per work requirements and it doesn't state any notice period whatsoever? I'm looking at giving a minimum of a week's notice and looking at starting on the 10th August. That gives me 7 working days to clear my current work load rather than dump my boss in the crap with our main client and to sort out any admin with the client

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

• Like 1

Technically you're bound by what it says in your contract. If there is nothing in your contract, the statutory period you have to work is one week. In reality you could just walk out and it's unlikely your employer would be motivated to do anything. I get the impression that wouldn't be your style though - good :)

What you need to do is negotiate with your boss. If you're moving over to your main client, I imagine that might determine his/her attitude to your notice period as it would be a good idea to keep the client sweet. My advice is to be honest and play it straight down the middle. That way at least you'll maintain the respect of both parties.

I made a lot of good friends over the years, so I don't want to ruin those relationships as they may potentially could be a future manager or I might look at roles in their areas.

Regarding my boss, I can't honestly see him causing any issues, as he could jeopardise any on going works or future schemes for his company, but he might not be happy as I've been with him 11 years. He was a bit funny at first with a couple of our fellow employees who went to work for the main client, but over the years they have pro actively promoted our company with the client, so he's actually gained work and I hopefully be in a position to do the same at some stage.

We have just had a spate of people leaving giving 1 weeks notice (due to a new company setting up in area and offering better contracts). Management are annoyed, but not at the folk taking the better offer, as it's just one they are not allowed to match. Had one person only in 2 weeks though and gave no notice as per terms of contract so early on, they were not impressed hahaha. I too have seen something much more fitting locally for my skill set and would more than double my salary. While I would feel a little bad dumping it on them in current climate, there is no way I would be offering a notice period any further than I have to. That said if it was zero, I'd still do 7 days to just not really hit them hard. At moment my hours have near doubled due to the other defectors though, so no matter what all is for the best and FUBAR is cashing in :D

That said, I am loving this bottom of the food chain role at moment, it's so damn easy just going in, doing a job and going home again! My legendarily short signature which is more like a stamp, is almost redundant. 

It's a dog eat dog world, there is no sentiment in business, never will be.

It's only your conscience holding you back apart from any employee works contract..

Your leaving at some point, so the boss still has a gap to fill, unless the stakes or upped to keep you?

No point in burning bridges. You don't know when you'll ever come across anyone from your old work again.

Speak to the boss and agree something that suits everyone if you can. If not 4 weeks is the usual going rate.

No point in burning bridges. You don't know when you'll ever come across anyone from your old work again.

This ive always gone by this rule.

Even though it did bite me in the bum once, as the boss decided not to pay me for those weeks notice.

But im sure your boss wont be that bad (:

Ive only ever worked 1 weeks notice i think. Once i did none, but the contract hadnt been drawn up yet

• Administrators

All I know to add to this is,  if you breech your contract, you're also potentially liable for your employers costs in finding a tmp replacement.

This was discovered when a co. I worked for didn't pay us for a few months then tried to go lord lucan. So despite the co. breeching. If we'd walked out; 3 month notices, this was also a breech and our co.boss; nice as houses till this, would of taken any opportunity to recoup something. S'ok we wound him up instead.

So best to play honest, I suspect if enough of you go to main client and it becomes a 'problem'. Then new emps of your existing co might get a exclusion clause added, it's not uncommon, but some debate if actually enforceable.

Thanks for all your replies and advice. Had a phone call from the client today and they want me to start on the 10 August as they want the current electrician to do a handover before he moves on to his new role. So I've arranged to meet my current boss tomorrow morning at our office and do it face to face and to thank him for his and others support over the last 11 years. We will probably still bump into each other due to how close both companies work together. Will keep you all updated tomorrow

Well I seen the boss this morning and went quite well. I explained I was went for a vacancy with our client, and was offered the job verbally pending the outcome of the medicals and they have confirmed the position and start date of the 10th. He said He fully understands why I went for the role, as it's basically what I do now and it's a great package. He was going to increase my hours, but he has admitted that he can't guarantee what the work situation would be in a few years time. He admitted he would miss me as I been with him 11 years now but he knows that somewhere along the line, we will work together again and I will actively promote the company to my new managers. I thanked him for his help and support over the years. He's going to arrange to settle up any outstanding hours and holidays, and my bonus for the 7 months of the year. As we shook hands, he said to have a think where I want to go for a meal and a few drinks with the lads before I go, so glad it's ended on a good note. Thanks for the advice

• Like 3

I assume your contract doesn't have clauses about working for clients of your employer for a certain period? Most these days do.

Nothing in our contract regarding working for our clients. In fact we take on some their employees as part time consultants when they retire, to help out with schemes. I think he be more angry if anyone went to work with a direct competitor

Edited by preston334

Arent you lucky in having an understanding boss; I had one once, but the majority were [insert rude words here]

One was so bad that when I went to give notice, I went over his head straight to the main office for the whole group, rather than for the local division; when they asked why, I said I didnt trust him to hand it over.

Mind you, he was in a league of his own as a bumhole, the final straw (after a string of fabricated written warning attempts), was a written warning for looking at him in an arrogant manner - while defending myself during the previous 5-6 attempts.

Well I seen the boss this morning and went quite well. I explained I was went for a vacancy with our client, and was offered the job verbally pending the outcome of the medicals and they have confirmed the position and start date of the 10th. He said He fully understands why I went for the role, as it's basically what I do now and it's a great package. He was going to increase my hours, but he has admitted that he can't guarantee what the work situation would be in a few years time. He admitted he would miss me as I been with him 11 years now but he knows that somewhere along the line, we will work together again and I will actively promote the company to my new managers. I thanked him for his help and support over the years. He's going to arrange to settle up any outstanding hours and holidays, and my bonus for the 7 months of the year. As we shook hands, he said to have a think where I want to go for a meal and a few drinks with the lads before I go, so glad it's ended on a good note. Thanks for the advice

I fear this is a rarity nowadays and it is pleasing to see the above :thumbup:

• Like 1