Facelift VRS seats vs Pre Facelift

Are the front seats the same shape, just trimmed differently?

I understand they'll be a straight swap (bar airbag wiring) but hoping they're a slightly different shape back?

I think mine are the cause of my bad back in my Pre FL. They're just not the right shape for me :(

Same shape and same trim on most facelift to pre facelift seats. Its only the black edition facelift seats that are a different trim and they are exactly the same seats other than the colour.

Edited by mattvrestate

The mk3 seats are lovely.. but your right u wont find any for a while untill people start crashing them :(.

John (Redders on here) has them in his mk2 and they look epic :thumbup: they dont look very different in shape though other than the headrest are part of the seat.. bolsters look a similar shape imo

Edited by mattvrestate

Seat Leon FR seats have bigger bolsters and are a different shape.. If thats the shape you are after then they are suprisingly cheap.. iv seen a few sets go for £250 on fleebay.. they do have the FR logo though.

The mk3 seats are lovely.. but your right u wont find any for a while untill people start crashing them :(.

John (Redders on here) has them in his mk2 and they look epic :thumbup: they dont look very different in shape though other than the headrest are part of the seat.. bolsters look a similar shape imo

His looks great, they do look a pretty similar shape though.

Seat Leon FR seats have bigger bolsters and are a different shape.. If thats the shape you are after then they are suprisingly cheap.. iv seen a few sets go for £250 on fleebay.. they do have the FR logo though.

Just had a quick look on eBay, they do look cheap & pretty nice, but can't find any leather ones. I don't really want any logos (apart from VRS) on them and also the rears have to fit so the car still matches.

Not asking for much I know!

I've seen a couple of threads/photos with A6 seats in the front. They are very comfy, I've driven my dad's A6 in the past.

No info about rears though. Presume they don't fit. What about A3 rears? Straight in? A6 S line in the front with A3 in the rear (so the leather matches).

Any thing from a mk5 platform car will fit in the front, Leon cupra/k1 seats? Mk5 gti tartan deep bolster, mk6 gti tartan deep bolster, mk6 gt tdi grey tartan is lovely! Scirocco fronts, Audi a3/s3/wingbacks all fit, obviously mk3 vrs fit, the rears will all take a little modding to fit, but with a it of patience you'll get them in

Cheers redders. I didn't really want to go down the road of non VRS seats but you're getting me thinking now. I'd be happy to tweak the backs as long as they look 100% right once they're in.

Are the backs of the Mk3 seats the same shape as the ones you replaced?

I can confirm that the preFL and FL front seats ARE indeed the same shape and fitting -- the seats that I bought for my leather upgrade on my 08 plate preFL estate came out of a 10 plate FL model.

Airbag wiring was also the same between the 08 plate and FL, but I found that the airbag wiring was different between the 08 plate preFL and the 54 plate preFL when I decided to put the original seats from the 08 into the older car to remedy the older seats looking a bit tired on the shoulders. I had to strip the seat backs down and swap over the complete airbag modules and wiring as the part numbers for the two different airbags was indeed different. Note the different airbags were visually different with either a yellow or orange plug.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I think that I've tracked my problem down to the lumbar support not starting down low enough for me. I'm wondering about keeping my seats, but adding some extra padding under the covers.

Seeing as you've had yours apart before, how easy would it be to roll the bottom of the cover up from the back and fit in some extra padding? I think I probably need to add an inch or so thickness of extra foam to the bottom 5" of the back rest.

Thanks Mike. After posting that I decided to go out and have a play. Wound the seat back right forward and split the cover along the bottom underneath.

And then made some packing pieces from some silver foil/bubble wrap insulation that I had. I used about 5 layers of it, and ended up with a pad about 20mm thick and 25x15cm.

I've wedged this up from underneath behind the foam and it fits against a cross bar right at the bottom and the bottom of the lumbar support mechanism. Straight away it's given some noticeable extra support at the very base of my back, right where I think I need it.

Time will tell if it does the job. And if it does I'll probably replace it for a dense foam pad as a permanent solution, but that would probably need the seat cover stripping to get it in place.

Let us know how you get on! I have two banjaxxed ones despite Skoda doing a fix on one :(

I first tried to hot glue the plastic strip back onto the airbag, but even with the strip solid it wouldn't hold the bolster. The foam was so out of shape that it wouldn't stay in place.

So I ended up gluing the foam into place along the edge of the airbag. Seems to have done the trick.

• Like 1

Todays update. Taken all my extra padding out. Helped for 5 minutes but any longer than that and too much pressure on the wrong parts of my back :(

The quest to get comfortable continues.

Edited by phil5556