Thinking of buying a Rapid

Hello Folks,

I've come from the Felicia forum. I've been driving the same diesel Felly for 13 years and have put 216,000 miles on her. I've always done my own servicing and she's been as solid and reliable as a Massey-Ferguson tractor but is starting to show signs of wear. So I'm considering a Rapid as a replacement.

I want something that starts every time and gets me from A to B and back again without drama. I care not for electronic gadgets such as satnav, Bluetooth, USB's, ICE or any of that stuff (I'm a Felicia driver after all). My daily commute is 20 miles round trip with the odd run to the airport of 150 miles. 

I see loads of 1.2 TSI models for sale at about 1 year old and 12-14,000 miles on the clock at just over £8,000 but before I take the plunge, I'm seeking your views on a couple of things:

1. Why are there so many 1-year old 1.2 TSI Rapids on the market?

2. Are there any common problems with them that I need to look out for? I've read about road/wind noise, but that doesn't worry me.

3. What's the reliability like?

4. What life span can I expect out of a well maintained Rapid?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm sure someone on here mentioned a big rental firm that offloaded many Rapids onto the market recently.  There are also a lot of duplicate ads.  All the Motorpoint outlets seem to advertise the exact same cars so there are possibly less cars than ads.

The problems are all over this forum - they're designed down to a price, cheaply built, and rattle lots.

I've been away from VAG since selling an '86 Audi, but the long term Skoda guys here are often very disappointed with the lack of quality in the Rapid compared with Skoda's from the last 15 years say.

Both 1.2 TSi motors are smooth and nice to drive, but the 105 is a bugger to get good mpg out of.  The 86 is getting better feedback here.

The TDi sounds like a truck, and doesn't steer or ride as nicely (I have driven both)  but is cheap to run.

Edited by camelspyyder

Take the above comments as gospel. I'm not participating as I'd put you off for life :)

1.6tdi for economy but watch out for EGR short life and mega expensive to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Folks,

I've come from the Felicia forum. I've been driving the same diesel Felly for 13 years and have put 216,000 miles on her. I've always done my own servicing and she's been as solid and reliable as a Massey-Ferguson tractor but is starting to show signs of wear. So I'm considering a Rapid as a replacement.

I want something that starts every time and gets me from A to B and back again without drama. I care not for electronic gadgets such as satnav, Bluetooth, USB's, ICE or any of that stuff (I'm a Felicia driver after all). My daily commute is 20 miles round trip with the odd run to the airport of 150 miles. 

I see loads of 1.2 TSI models for sale at about 1 year old and 12-14,000 miles on the clock at just over £8,000 but before I take the plunge, I'm seeking your views on a couple of things:

1. Why are there so many 1-year old 1.2 TSI Rapids on the market?

2. Are there any common problems with them that I need to look out for? I've read about road/wind noise, but that doesn't worry me.

3. What's the reliability like?

4. What life span can I expect out of a well maintained Rapid?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Rapid Spaceback owner here. In answer to your specific questions:

1. Most of these are ex-lease cars previously registered to Budget (http://www.budget.co.uk/) or Avis. Don't let that put you off though. Most of them have been well looked after and you can find a tidy example for very little money.
  2. Most of the reported faults seem to be related to rattles and creaks. Some owners have reported water accumulating in the rear doors, and this has been reported as an issue with other Skodas/VAG cars too. My car has been fine in this regard, but there is a simple fix that the dealer can undertake for you. My car doesn't rattle (well, sometimes a slight rattle at low speeds from the area around the radio) but the doors creaked horribly at low speeds. That was cured in 10 minutes with a stick of Gummi Pflege.
  3. Mine has been fine. Most of the problems that have been reported seem to be niggles rather than anything fatal, and the 1.2TSI has been sold in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. From what I've read, the Rapid seems no worse than the Mk.3 Octavia in this respect.
  4. Impossible to say as the oldest cars on the road are barely three years old. The vast majority are still on the road though ;)

Yes the Rapid is built to a price, but if you want something that gives you a lot of space for your money, then a 1 year old Rapid will fit the bill. I picked my Spaceback 1.2 TSI 86 SE up for just under £9k and I'm really happy with it. I find it comfortable, nice to drive and there is loads of space for the family. It's cheap to tax, cheap to insure and economical both around town and on longer runs. I have a theory that many of the Rapid owners who have expressed disappointment have come from cars like the Mk.2 Octavia and have found the Rapid a step down. I came from an Astra, and although the Cabin of the Rapid isn't as upmarket, overall it's a better car for me. In many ways it's the spiritual successor to your Felicia, but will seem very modern and refined by comparison. IMHO the main problem with the Rapid in the UK has been pricing and spec. Buying used sidesteps these issues.  If you really want the last word in reliability, look for something Japanese but be prepared to pay a fair bit more than you would for a Rapid.

Hope that helps

Paul

• Like 1

Five months owner of the TDI here.

I cannot comment on the UK-specific questions of yours as I live abroad and, honestly, it seems like Skoda UK rips you guys off. Over here, ther Rapid was (and probably still is) the cheapest car in its segment. Here are my comments though:

As it has been said before the car is built to budget and lacks some features that other cars have standard. To name a few, no USB, no Xenon lights, no comfort windows (one touch up/down, key fob operation), no engine cover, no footrest, no dual-zone clima, no color LCD, to hill assist brakes. There are more I surely forget. Most of them are only available as options even for the highest trim level.

I believe the engines are reliable, the TDI CR is many years on the market and the only real problem is the DPF which is expensive to replace once clogged. If you opt for the diesel, get the 105 PS version if you can, it is substantially better than the 90 PS one.

Nobody can really comment on the overall reliability as it is few years on the market, but I have heard mixed opinions. Many people here believe that because of the squeaks or the water-in-the-door fiasco it will develop more problems in the future. Maybe they 're true but I don't think it will have any big problems or that it will be the new Reliant Robin.

Also worth noting, is that it's essentially an elongated Polo/Fabia with more boot space and not a poor man's Golf. It is however both spacier and cheaper than the Golf, while sharing the same powertrain.

Edited by eyegr

Suzuki,Mazda,Toyota,Kia,Hyundai and Honda are cheaper than a Rapid with more equipment as standard. Don't let me put you off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only one of those I could find for the same ballpark price as my Rapid was the i30. If I could have bagged a Mazda 3 for what I paid for the Rapid I'd have been in there like a rat up a drain pipe, believe me! ;) Same goes for the Civic and SX4 S Cross. Unless you're comparing the Rapid to smaller models like the Swift? No good for me as I have a family.

The big problem with the Rapid isn't really the car, it's the price. That's why it hasn't sold so well and you can now get big discounts, especially for pre-reg. Also look at the price at 1 year old. Used prices are a better indication of what hre car is worth relative to other models as they show what the market will bear.

• Like 1

The cheapest (OTR price) liftback Rapid S you can get for £ 14400... cheapest Toledo S for £ 16945

OK, there are differencess like engine, wheels and accesories... but both are exactly one construction. That is reason why you see Rapids...

BTW.

Mazda3 (liftback) - cheapest is for £ 17295

Edited by 67igor1

The cheapest (OTR price) liftback Rapid S you can get for £ 14400... cheapest Toledo S for £ 16945

OK, there are differencess like engine, wheels and accesories... but both are exactly one construction. That is reason why you see Rapids...

BTW.

Mazda3 (liftback) - cheapest is for £ 17295

LOL! :D  nobody pays £16945 for a top of the range Toledo, let alone the cheapest.

The recommended OTR prices are works of fiction.  

I looked at brand new Rapid/Toledo at 12k or 13k or prereg i30 for 13k.

IMHO none of the three were worth a penny more.

the bottom line  - for the money I'm really happy with it, and I ignore the infrequent creaks rattles and knocks.

Edited by camelspyyder

Thanks to all of you for the swift responses. I value all of your opinions and take on board the fact that Rapids haven't been around long enough to prove long-term reliability.

I'm comforted to note that the reason for there being so many on the market is that lease companies are changing their stock and it's not necessarily owners dumping them after a year of disappointment!

As I said before, the lack of whistles and bells doesn't put me off. I just see electronic gadgets as something else to go wrong that will cost a mint to repair. That's why I've loved my Felicia tractor.

I'm going to go and take a look and a test drive in the next few days and can now go armed with a bit of knowledge of what to expect.

Thanks again.

Call Me Ishmael.

More than happy with our Spaceback and I came from an uncomfortable Octavia III. As others have said though there are one or two common niggles with the design, I've had creaking doors; fixed under warranty and the odd minor trim buzz on very poor roads.

Also the TSI 105 can be less economical that you might expect if you subject it to a lot local runs. I've been off work for a couple off weeks and doing a lot of short trips compared to long commute and I think I'm going to end up around 40 mpg rather than the usual 48-50 mpg.

Regard the TSI the 86 and 105 versions are 8v motors with a chain driven cam. The 105 first appeared in the Yeti in 2009 and the 86 in the Fabia the following year. They have had their fair share of teething troubles, however get anything built from 2013  and you should be OK. These engines have now been withdrawn from June this year due to EU changes from Euro V to Euro VI.

TP

LOL! :D  nobody pays £16945 for a top of the range Toledo, let alone the cheapest.

The recommended OTR prices are works of fiction.  

I looked at brand new Rapid/Toledo at 12k or 13k or prereg i30 for 13k.

IMHO none of the three were worth a penny more.

If you time it right there can be some good deals to be had. My lad is in the process of changing his Fabia II for a new MY15 Ibiza. With big updates to the MY16 that's just starting to hit forecourts and dealer stock to clear of 'last years model', he's managed to get the new car for less than a number of pre-reg and 64 plate cars of the same spec he had been looking at  B)

TP

• Like 1

Stormchaser will offer you his Rapid and a bag of Maltesers and take your Felicia off your hands, he needs a decent car ATM. :p

Basic Rapids can be had with not many miles on for a good deal less than you think if you search around. If you wait a little longer they will be awash with stock come new reg time, all those lucky folk buying the newer Rapid :peek:

Just my bit of fun here, yes there are a few problems, you only hear from folk who have them, I've had the odd one with my Toledo (same car, different badge) creaking driver door seal (not fixed yet) noisy rear hatch (fixed) water in the rear door bottoms (fixed) oh and I had a bolt starting to go rusty in the engine bay holding the wing on (fixed, painted) That's it I reckon I have a pretty decent car for £11.5k (pre reg 10 miles on the clock last year)  My Mazda on the other hand, well I'll be here all morning typing what improvemnets I've made to that, what Mazda should have done at the factory...... :D

Go buy a Rapid, or just look at a higher spec Toledo for the same money, happy car hunting.

Edited by MickA

If you time it right there can be some good deals to be had. My lad is in the process of changing his Fabia II for a new MY15 Ibiza. With big updates to the MY16 that's just starting to hit forecourts and dealer stock to clear of 'last years model', he's managed to get the new car for less than a number of pre-reg and 64 plate cars of the same spec he had been looking at  B)

TP

Me too!  My brand new '15 Ibiza was dirt cheap :clap:

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Thanks again. I like Maltesers, MickA, so that could be a deal! :D

I'll take my time shopping and wait for the right car at the right price.

It's been so long since I bought myself a car (got my Felly in 2002 at 2 years old and with 13,500 miles on the clock) that I need to take a refresher course!

Thanks again. I like Maltesers, MickA, so that could be a deal! :D

I'll take my time shopping and wait for the right car at the right price.

It's been so long since I bought myself a car (got my Felly in 2002 at 2 years old and with 13,500 miles on the clock) that I need to take a refresher course!

I had a Felicia a few years ago, god those front suspension struts were a pig to remove, bolts were absolutely welded in. Had an Estelle as well many years ago, that went well until the head gasket failed. It was my first new car in 2012 (Citigo) since the only other new car I've owned, which was a Nissan or was it Datsun Cherry. That didn't last long I hated it, went Renault another big fail.

Have a look at a nearly new 2/3 months old Skoda fabia SE ( 64 plate ) 70bhp , one of the last made fabia. mark 2 , I got two of these , great no nonsense cars , never here of problems with these bullet proof cars

snip...

I have a theory that many of the Rapid owners who have expressed disappointment have come from cars like the Mk.2 Octavia and have found the Rapid a step down.

snip...

Hope that helps

Paul

pretty much hit the nail, for me at least

we had an octy 1 est, octy 1 hatch, mk1 VRs, roomster, then fabia 2 GLII est and citigo over the last 15 years

when the rapid came out I had a look and took an instant dislike, cabin did not seem as roomy, less kit, definite built to price (and that price was far less than skoda UK wanted on the forecourt)

I looked at the fabia 3 when it came out, various issue with the price and spec (an when I went to look the sales staff ignored me)

when I actually sat in the fabia 3 I found the same issues that put me off the rapid (lack of airy cabin compared to our previous skoda's etc) price and specs

as you can see I walked away and very happy

personally I would not recommend the current skoda range as it is not a patch on the previous range as far as value for money, build quality etc

go have a look, but have a short list of 3-4 cars and look and test drive them all

no manufacturer has a perfect car not even merc, bmw etc and everyone has a different set of needs.

so it is about finding the best fit for your budget and needs

• Like 1

Thanks again guys,

I'd heard that Skodas aren't what they used to be. The old Felly's going to be a hard act to follow in terms of age and reliability. It isn't much to look at and doesn't have an on-board computer or any of that stuff, but I knew it was going to start every time and keep going all the way there and back again.

Just for the record, I never had to take the suspension apart, it's all original as is the engine, gearbox, starter, injectors, fuel pump, even the brake pipes - all factory original. The alternator was overhauled last year at 208,000 miles and she's had 3 new clutches (one for each learner driver in the house) and 2 new rear wheel cylinders. Other than that it's been regular servicing and grease painted onto the brake pipes every year.

I'll keep an eye on NI Autotrader, but am quite happy to travel to the mainland for the right car. Diesels can be a bit hit-and-miss out here as we've so much laundered fuel marketed as the real stuff. A car that's been running on 'Dodgy diesel' is destined for trouble!

If you're coming from a felicia you'll be impressed by a rapid or any other modern skoda. I had a felicia as well as two favorits and an estelle. The modern cars are in a different league.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

only major issue I can see is if you are wanting to do most servicing yourself expect to pay out for a copy of VAGCOM diagnostic software

so much electronics in modern unless you have the relevant computerised tools fault finding is a nightmare

moderd common rail fuels systems are far more fragile than the old bosch rotary pump in early skoda's before PD due to the increase injection pressures and tolerances on pumps and injectors

also the engines are far more picky about oil, as it needs to be low ash for the DPF and cat's, also tends to be fully synthetic

one thing I think you can't run it on variable service if you do it yourself, not sure if vagcom can set it. but you sound like me 10,000 mile, oil and filters. 20,000 add plugs etc

if you go petrol, make sure you take the plugs out on a regular basis as I believe a few have had problems getting them out if left to the 40,000 mile recommended change,

you will find you need a few special tools, wind back tool for the brake calipers etc but the guys on here will be able to help what you need to remove the plugs etc

it will be  steep learning curve for you

Edited by bluecar1