Windows 7 reinstall

adamal

My laptop has given up the ghost. I have tried cleaning it and defragging etc but it is just painfully slow and driving me potty. So essentially I have backed up all the data to a portable hard drive and I want to try a reformat and then a reinstall of Windows 7 before upgrading to Windows 10.

I have most of the programs I need to reinstall but I do not have a Windows 7 disk (PC was bought years ago with W7 pre installed). I have seen people advertising W7 discs from decommissioned machines on eBay stating that they work for a one time install and are genuine.

My question is how is the key freed up from the supposedly damaged hardware they were previously installed on? Is this legit as for 30 quid it sounds like it is what I need? It states it comes with a Certificate of Authenticity too.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Do you have a windows code stuck on the underside of the laptop?

Worn sadly but hopefully trundlenut's program will work for me...

If you have a Windows key on the bottom of the laptop then you're laughing as all you need to do is reinstall the same version of Windows and enter the key, it will then validate the key when you next go online.

You can buy from Ebay and you can get them for as little at 30 quid, best look for sellers with high feedback scores as they'll want to keep them. So just search Windows 7 Professional, it's the best one really as you'll then get Windows 10 Professional.

The reason I say that is if you went for Windows 7 Ultimate you'd lose some of the stuff you gained from Windows 7 when you make the jump to Windows 10, because you'll only get Windows 10 Professional.

Thanks. It is actually Windows 7 Ultimate on mine but I am sure I don't use the "ultimate" features anyway so not too bothered about the latter.

I have a program somewhere which can extract the windows key before you reinstall. Handy when the sticker on the Base is worn.

Think it is this: http://www.winkeyfinder.com/

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

KEYFINDER ,DOES LIKEWISE --http://www.tucows.com/preview/1590587/ZebNet-Office-Keyfinder?q=keyfinder

My laptop has given up the ghost. I have tried cleaning it and defragging etc but it is just painfully slow and driving me potty. So essentially I have backed up all the data to a portable hard drive and I want to try a reformat and then a reinstall of Windows 7 before upgrading to Windows 10.

I have most of the programs I need to reinstall but I do not have a Windows 7 disk (PC was bought years ago with W7 pre installed). I have seen people advertising W7 discs from decommissioned machines on eBay stating that they work for a one time install and are genuine.

My question is how is the key freed up from the supposedly damaged hardware they were previously installed on? Is this legit as for 30 quid it sounds like it is what I need? It states it comes with a Certificate of Authenticity too.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Adam, you can download the Windows 7 ISO pack here: http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-7-all-in-one-iso-free-download/#more-23466

That ISO has all the versions of Windows 7 on in their latest forms. All you do it download it, create either a bootable dvd from the ISO files and reload it onto the computer and use your existing Windows 7 license key. Or create a bootable USB that will load it for you. I've used the images from that source for a while now and not found any security issues. Others I know also in the tech business use them also.They are untouched and work as normal. It's better than dicing with death on some of those dodgey Win 7 keys for £30. Let us know how you get on.

PS. in case you don't know how to create a bootable disc or usb, there are instructions on the site or on the net.

Thanks guys. Work has prevented me from looking at this but loads of great suggestions here. I will look on werkend and report back.

Thanks

Adam

Adam, I forgot to mention just incase you are not sure, if you download from the link I enclosed in my post above, you can only install the Windows 7 version that you already have a license key for. So if you have had Windows 7 Home Premium on your computer, you can only load the same version. You cannot upgrade to Windows 7 Professonal for example or your license key won't work. That link I posted contains the ISO that has all versions just as the original does.

DO NOT USE THE ABOVE!

I just tried to install it and my AV & Malware scanners went ballistic. More mal & adware it than anything. Over 100 items listed in the scans & it took over 20 mins to rid myself of it.  :devil:

Well all sorted thanks chaps. Got my key from Trundle's link and downloaded a windows 7 ISO courtesy of Estate man's link. Then I upgraded to win10 and its like a new PC. Just got to reinstall my programs now....

• Like 1

DO NOT USE THE ABOVE!

I just tried to install it and my AV & Malware scanners went ballistic. More mal & adware it than anything. Over 100 items listed in the scans & it took over 20 mins to rid myself of it.  :devil:

You should always scan  things you have downloaded BEFORE trying them out, although to be fair, even that doesnt mean it is safe - I scan everything, but still managed to get the Menora toolbar on my rebuilt PC a few days ago.

My own fault, I usually scan with Avast, Spybot and Malwarebytes, but hadnt got around to installing Spybot, so missed the problem.