Draining coolant without removing undertray

Hi. I wondered whether, as usually stated, it is actually essential to have to remove the undertray when draining coolant or can I just open the drain tap on the radiator without removing anything?

I am not an experienced DIYer or mechanic so please bear with me if this is a simple question.

Thanks hutchysrs. I understand about needing to catch the drained coolant safely, I wondered whether it could still be done somehow without removal of the undertray. I should explain that due to a medical problem I find it difficult to get down to low levels and can work better from above the radiator, I can just see the drain tap from there and wondered if it is possible to put a catch tray under the car then open the drain tap without needing to remove anything. If it is not then thanks anyway for the help and I will have to get a mechanic to do it for me.

Edited by billh65

I'm sure it's possible to catch most of it, but because the tray is curved a lot of it will sit on the tray until you drive it etc.

I'm sure most people let it go down the drain and think it's harmless anyway, doesn't mean it's right though.

If you could be slightly more specific about your location, someone might volunteer to help you.  If you're anywhere near me, I'd be happy to.

Thanks Wino. I'm nowhere near Oxfordshire but it was nice of you to offer. To make it clear I am not disabled as such but, due to medication I am on, if I get right down on the ground I cannot get up again without assistance, which is why I prefer to work from above in a standing position.

Fair enough. I would have thought that if you can reach the drain tap from above, you might also be able to reach to put a piece of suitably-sized hose on the drain pipe next to the tap, and then drop that into your receiving bowl/tray beyond the undertray?

When I tried to find somewhere legitimate to dispose of old coolant in my area, I drew a blank.  Only advice I found (online IIRC, not sure exactly where) seemed to be to flush it down the loo. 

I have found that I can reach and open the drain tap and can feel the outlet pipe so now off to find a suitable piece of hose.

Regarding the disposal of the old coolant, I saw also advice on the net about flushing it down the loo. According to that it means that the output would be treated at a sewage works rather than go straight into a river etc. Makes sense I suppose but I'm not convinced that it is any more legal than down the drains which is apparently highly illegal and can end in court. I do understand that the fluid is highly poisonous and I would hate to cause someones pet or, indeed any wild creatures to suffer from it.

Anyway thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated by a complete amateur.

Could always dump the old coolant in the 'oil' bin at the tip. Not sure they appreciate it, but it would be properly dealt with at least :)

I asked the guys at the tip (in the office not on the 'shop floor') what to do with it when I was arranging to take some asbestos and they said flush. The surface drains from my house go to the main sewer anyway, but on newer builds the surface drains go to soak ways or local streams etc. hence why it should be flushed to ensure it goes to the main sewer and thus a treatment plant.

I had the same issue regarding coolant disposal. I asked my local council who said take it to a local garage and ask them if they will dispose of it using their normal methods, possibly handing some money over. In the end, I took it to the local tip and they said put it in the waste oilbin! So that's what I did :)