vRS comparisons / opinions sought

Hanslow

Hi all :)

Joined in July 2003 when I was interested in an Octavia but after redundancy ended up with nothing, got job and ended up with an '04 MR-2. Now looking for a change and want to get a 'sensible' car and then a second car for fun.

I've got a test drive booked for tomorrow in a Fabia vRS and I was wondering what people thought about the standard suspension setup. I've read through some of the posts on here and see that some people think it's fine, others think it's a bit wallowy and needs stiffening.

Obviously it's not going to handle like my MR-2 (which has stiffened and lowered springs) but, I was wondering if anyone had taken out the Toyota Corolla diesel when they were test driving and if so, how did it compare suspension wise, particularly when cornering, to the vRS.

I'll find out myself tomorrow, but I'm keen to know whether it'd be better, similar or worse so that I don't set my expectations too high ;)

Thanks

Steve

I test drove a CTR, Vrs and Ibiza Cupra when buying mine and for a new car found it pleasant enough to drive. Suspension was ok for everyday driving. Eventually bought the ibiza but the suspension on it is far too stiff for everyday driving. Feel every bump in the road and skips and jumps when you get to bumpy bits. In my opinion the Vrs is a good compromise between too stiff and too wallowy. Steering feel could be improved (pretty sure power steering assistance can e adjusted with VAG-COM).

I'd say they've tweaked the suspension to make it feel sporty. At low speed less than 50 i find you can feel alot of the bumps on the road, potholes etc. and at high speed its a good balance. The only thing is braking where it does seem a bit soft and will dive alot. But overall its a good compromise.

The standard setup is more than adequate for everyday driving. If you want to be a bit quicker into corners and have a more positive feeling on the road then I would consider an upgrade.

Obviously it's not going to handle like my MR-2 (which has stiffened and lowered springs) but' date=' I was wondering if anyone had taken out the Toyota Corolla diesel when they were test driving and if so, how did it compare suspension wise, particularly when cornering, to the vRS.

[/quote']

You're in luck. I have a Toyota Corolla Diesel car which I use for work and the std. suspension of the Fabia vRS is far superior. You will see when you test drive it. Everything is just soggy in the Corolla!

The Fabia vRS in std. guise is truely a fantastic all rounder and it's handling is very tidy. It may not be as sharp as some hot hatches but it compensates with more comfort etc..

The reason why some change suspension is that there are some who prefer a more sporty handling and will quite happily compromise some comfort to achieve the desired effect.

Thanks all, particularly Chowy :thumbup:

Don't need the car to be razor sharp, just wasn't keen on the wallowing in the Corolla. The other car that I intend to get will make up for the handling ;)

Looking forward to having a good long drive in it now :D

Thanks folks ;)

Thanks all' date=' particularly Chowy :thumbup:

Don't need the car to be razor sharp, just wasn't keen on the wallowing in the Corolla. The [i']other[/i] car that I intend to get will make up for the handling ;)

Looking forward to having a good long drive in it now :D

Thanks folks ;)

Enjoy :) Let us know how the test drive goes!

Mate i dont think you will be dissapointed. I have came from 2x CTRs/182/WRX and i can honestly say hand on my heart that i am not dissapointed with the VRS handling. Yes as said its not as tight as a hot hatch the likes of 182 and CTRs, it has more body roll, but it is a potent weapon on B roads. You can still cover ground at a very fast rate(well i can) and it seems to stick pretty well. I am actually enjoying the softer ride compared to my previous teeth rattlers that i had.

As said its a nice compromise between to hard and too soft. As for a track weapon, the jury is still out on that one for me at present. Maybe at the beginning of next year mines will see Knockhill. But to be honest i aint expecting much on track with the standard set up.

Go and enjoy anyway.

Paul :thumbup:

Hi im a new vrs owner and I test drove two toyota diesels and was very impressed with both. They drove far better than the wallowy petrol versions I presume they were on harder suspension due to extra weight of deisel engine. So my impressions

1.4 D - This is an all aluminium diesel engine that produces I think 90bhp which is impressive for its size. It goes well and handles well as not too much weight up front. Though apparently is a bit sluggish when loaded with people! The corolla is bear mind size wise on par with a focus or astra. On B roads the car went round the bends very well I know it sounds funny but compared to the fabia the suspension is compliant and seems to move rather than the car.

2.0 D - I think about 110bhp old school iron block and it does feel a fair bit heavier to drive, however again feels very competent round the bends at speed. Both models are less skippy compared to fabia vrs at speed probably as they are bigger cars.

Cars well built and comfortable so why did I go for a vrs?

1) The corolla is bland it isn't much fun and wouldn't feel special to own

2) Its a bit sluggish and does not have the talk or power of a vrs

3) They are too expensive

So there u go only my opinion mind for what its worth! Love my furby vrs even if it does hanle like a boat, driven in the right way she is a fast boat!

Hi

I find the vRS ride and handling pretty much ideal for a road car. There is enough suspension control and travel to make very fast progress over bumpy B roads and enough compliance to make it comfortable. It is IMO a well judged setup.

Chris

Interesting post hurricaine.....I found the 2.0D4D very wallowy indeed :( Maybe I've been spoilt somewhat with my MR-2?

The vRS won't be being used as a track weapon....that's what the Lotus will be for ;) Should be able to get a full day in the car even though I've been offered a full weekend. I've arranged to test drive it near my parents as I'm over there this weekend and my parents have been happy with their Octavia and Fabia from them :)

I'll report back my findings and opinions over the weekend.....

Just for interest, my driving 'history' consists of '04 MR-2 Roadster with TTE springs, '00 UK Impreza turbo with full decat, boost controller and Eibach springs, '99 Ford Puma. All have handled really well, but as I'll be (eventually) going down the two car route, I don't have to have the vRS as the ultimate handling machine, I just don't want it driving on marshmallow ;)

Report to follow Sunday sometime ;) I'm really hoping that I like it :D

In its favour, the vRS is a good compromise for most of its intended audience - i.e. a warm / hot hatch for people who, perhaps, dont want a real hot hatch. It is biased to ride and comfort, and its got a soft, slightly floaty ride that is excellent for the motorway.

However, its a bit baggy when really hustling it, but its fun in its own right. Its absolutely nowhere near as good as something like a 182 though.

Interesting post hurricaine.....I found the 2.0D4D very wallowy indeed :( Maybe I've been spoilt somewhat with my MR-2?

The vRS won't be being used as a track weapon....that's what the Lotus will be for ;) Should be able to get a full day in the car even though I've been offered a full weekend. I've arranged to test drive it near my parents as I'm over there this weekend and my parents have been happy with their Octavia and Fabia from them :)

I'll report back my findings and opinions over the weekend.....

Just for interest' date=' my driving 'history' consists of '04 MR-2 Roadster with TTE springs, '00 UK Impreza turbo with full decat, boost controller and Eibach springs, '99 Ford Puma. All have handled really well, but as I'll be (eventually) going down the two car route, I don't have to have the vRS as the ultimate handling machine, I just don't want it driving on marshmallow ;)

Report to follow Sunday sometime ;) I'm really hoping that I like it :D[/quote']

Thats my long term plan when I can afford it fabia for everyday stuff and fun and lotus for weekends and track days. I reckon ur hopes may be a bit high in handling terms based on ur past car history. Fabia is stiffer than the toyota but harder suspension does not always mean better cornering don't forget. Go for a fabia vrs its ideal for everyday fun and economy then a lotus for ultimate driving well good problem sorted! :rofl:

Again guys all comes down to driving experience and ability. I have previously been in cars as said above, CTRs 182 and have had guys in less competent cars keep tail with me, obiviously there driving skills(or bottle) exceeded mines, and in the furby to date i have kept and outpaced superior motors, again maybe down to my driving skill and ability.

So anything is possible in the right hands :)

Paul :thumbup:

Well the test drive went well, which was done at Horton's in Lincoln. It was arranged there as my folks have both had dealings with them and they came recommended. Met Steve Horton in the morning and was instantly put at ease. Quick cup of coffee and a chat, details of my MR-2 taken, keys handed over and told to enjoy it ;)

Got in the car and did the pre-drive checks, knobs, switches, etc. Seat felt high, so pumped it down to the bottom, felt better. Took it cautiously to start with pulling out of the garage forecourt gingerly. Reached the junction with the main road, nothing coming, 1st gear, pull out, change up, 2nd gear, put foot down a bit....jeeeesssssuuuussss!!!! Wasn't quite prepared for the torque in 2nd gear :D Found myself up to that particular road's speed limit very quickly so eased off.

Having lived around Lincoln for a number of years, decided to hit the village roads (including the muddy single track ones ;) ) on the south side. Car felt quite composed on the road, giving enough feel about the road surface without following every hole and bump in the road (and believe me there were some!).

Started to build up some confidence so pushed it a bit more into some of the corners. Occasionally had slight understeer moments, as I like to learn the car gently, so soon got an idea for how quickly I could attack bends. My concern on suspension setup for cornering was happily dismissed. In comparison, the 2.0 Corolla diesel I'd tried a couple of weeks back seemed like driving a boat round bends. Whilst not being in the same league as my '2, there was little wallow in bends and felt like it was giving nice progressive loading on the corners.

Couple of issues I had with 2nd gear....it revs and runs out of numbers far too quickly! Also had a couple of torque steer moments booting it out of some low speed bends in seconds, but that's all part and parcel of relearning FWD with buckets of torque.

Overall, very impressed. Certainly ticks most of the boxes for a daily runaround. Slight concern over the number of condensation problems being reported, but that's no worse than other car issues I've read about. Had a look under the bonnet and was a bit surprised at the front grille being attached to the bonnet and appeared very plasticky, looking like it would snap off if you dropped the bonnet too hard.

I was told I could have the car for the weekend if required, but given that we actually live just over an hours drive away, decided to give the car back the same day having covered a modest 80 odd miles (we had relative visits to squeeze in as well ;) ). You can probably tell my style of driving from the trip computer telling me I had 215 miles left when I got in the car. After the 80 odd mile drive, it was now telling me I had 230 miles left....better ask for a pipe and slippers for xmas ;)

Quick chat with one of the other chaps in the dealership when I dropped it off led to him asking me what I felt about the car. His comments were 'that it goes like a rocket', with my response of 'yeah it's not bad'. He seemed somewhat shocked that I hadn't found it rocket ship material, but then he didn't know my driving history. Think he understood when I mentioned the Scoob ;) Note for dealers, never assume things about your potential client.....

Overall, I could see myself in one of these cars, I just have to adjust my driving style and remind myself that the Elise will come when we've sorted the house a bit more and cleared the garage out. I've always liked sitting in a car with my **** about 2" off the floor so this is a little more removed from that experience and more sensible than what I'm used to ;)

Thanks for the comments folks, hopefully other people may find this useful in future. I'll be getting a phone call from Steve on Monday and we'll be discussing what sort of deal could be done. The shame for me is that leather interior isn't an option, but I've been reading the forums and seen that it can be done by a third party so if I get one, that could be a future proposition. I'd be looking to get around an '04 vRS and some cash back on the deal which would help fund the Lotus, but I'll have to wait and see what can be done.....

Cheers

Steve

Forgot to say, I'm sincerely hoping it wasn't the drive, but ended up with stomach cramps mid afternoon which led to me chucking my guts up twice that evening :eek: I'm assuming it was some dodgy food or something, but don't honestly know. Somewhat spoiled the day, but I guess that couldn't be helped :(

Forgot to say' date=' I'm sincerely hoping it wasn't the drive, but ended up with stomach cramps mid afternoon which led to me chucking my guts up twice that evening :eek: I'm assuming it was some dodgy food or something, but don't honestly know. Somewhat spoiled the day, but I guess that couldn't be helped :([/quote']

It was probably due to you not being used to the G Forces that the torque creates! :eek:

Seriously, the way to get round the torque steer is to sqeeze the throttle rather than planting it. You get much better results from the Fabia, driven this way.

Glad you enjoyed it. I told you not to worry, it aint like a Corolla diesel ;)

Steve

Some thing you mentioned about the Furby running out of numbers.

It is a very common comment from petrol drivers, who feel the torque low down the revs and expect the car to continue to the high revs where petrol cars deliver thier power, forgetting that the torque band is 2 to 3.5 - 4 k rpm, where the petrol power comes in at 3k+ rpm. to 5k approx.

The furby is a differnt driving style ( as you have found ), and would take some getting used to, so instead of stirring the gears @ 3-5k rpm in a petrol, it is now lower down the rev band 2 - 3.5k. :)

Enjoy your car when you buy it.