Octavia Cabin/Road Noise

Have now put Goodyear Eagle assymetric 3's on the rear. These seem to have reduced the road noise to a more bearable level, compared with the Dunlop Maxx Sports. I now have two virtualy new Dunlops in the shed for when my front tyres eventually wear out.

I put Goodyear F1 AS3 on my front wheels and they seemed to reduce noise. Still had noisy tyres on the back though. My arriving MK3 has Continental Contact Sport all round so will see how they fare for tyre noise but didn't notice any major road noise on the test drive.

I drove a BMW 3 series m sport before buying the VRS. Road noise on par to be honest. I find the VRS rather civilised and it's much quieter than the Kia ceed gt I had before it. I can happily have a conversation on the motorway now and hear my music just fine. Saying that, changeing over to the Goodyear F1 as3 made a very significant difference in road noise compare to the pzeroes I had before them.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I've got a 2016 model Octavia 1.8 Tsi L&K estate (with Dunlop Sport MAXX RT 225/40-18" tyres) and one particular noise is driving me nuts. This annoying quite high pitch noise starts at about 20 km/h speed and does not change in any way on higher speeds... it is like this hollow metallic echoing sound, like sitting in a steel barrel/drum.

So far I have put STP Black Gold vibration damper + STP Biplast etc soft materials as sound deadening in boot, including wheel arches, under the back seat, all doors, boot lid and on the plastic "mud shield" in front. With these overall road noise dropped significantly, but that unfortunately caused that metallic sound to be even more annoying.

Roof / roof liner vibrating? Knocking on the roof liner while sitting in the back seat sounds like hitting a cymbal with a soft drumstick, clearly has a tone to it. In the front the roof liner sounds almost solid.

Rear suspensions natural frequency? Read here something bout skoda replacing rear shocks?

Haven't had any similar problems in any cars I've had. Had 2011 model octavia estate b4r, it was far worse in road noise but it was no where near as annoying, as it had "normal" low frequency ruble, just lots of it.

Any ideas?

• 9 months later...
On 04/10/2017 at 08:56, aerrae said:

Hi,

I've got a 2016 model Octavia 1.8 Tsi L&K estate (with Dunlop Sport MAXX RT 225/40-18" tyres) and one particular noise is driving me nuts. This annoying quite high pitch noise starts at about 20 km/h speed and does not change in any way on higher speeds... it is like this hollow metallic echoing sound, like sitting in a steel barrel/drum.

So far I have put STP Black Gold vibration damper + STP Biplast etc soft materials as sound deadening in boot, including wheel arches, under the back seat, all doors, boot lid and on the plastic "mud shield" in front. With these overall road noise dropped significantly, but that unfortunately caused that metallic sound to be even more annoying.

Roof / roof liner vibrating? Knocking on the roof liner while sitting in the back seat sounds like hitting a cymbal with a soft drumstick, clearly has a tone to it. In the front the roof liner sounds almost solid.

Rear suspensions natural frequency? Read here something bout skoda replacing rear shocks?

Haven't had any similar problems in any cars I've had. Had 2011 model octavia estate b4r, it was far worse in road noise but it was no where near as annoying, as it had "normal" low frequency ruble, just lots of it.

Any ideas?

Found it! The damn heat shield under the car was vibrating and ringing like a cymbal. Simply bent it here and there plus put some dampening material between the plastic covers and metallic heat shield. Yay! No more ringing! Just drove 1200km with a big smile! 

rps20180711_093923.jpg

• Like 1

Had my Octavia over a year, it has always been noisy. The noise is like the bootlid isn't sitting properly, yet no matter which way you adjust it nothing makes any difference.

I've just had to get used to it

i test drove a 2016 VRS Diesel on Saturday and didnt notice any noise at all. I currently have a 2013 Roomster and maybe the noise is similar and I have just got use to it.

• 1 year later...
On 11/07/2018 at 09:47, aerrae said:

Found it! The damn heat shield under the car was vibrating and ringing like a cymbal. Simply bent it here and there plus put some dampening material between the plastic covers and metallic heat shield. Yay! No more ringing! Just drove 1200km with a big smile! 

rps20180711_093923.jpg

Another cause for ringing was them brake back plates, they seem to ring very easily too. Added some sound deadening on them and even less tendency for that high pitch noise!

rps20190719_174241.jpg

• Like 1