Start up after inactivity

Mentioned a while back that the car would be standing unused for some weeks and wondered if it would start okay. Fired it up today as if nothing unusual had happened - starts almost before I can let go of the key!! A good sign.

Mind you, I can't actually drive it till Sept. 8th but I don't reckon it will be a problem.

Probably would not be a bad idea to let someone take it for a 30 mile drive just to circulate the oil, recharge battery, lub the a/c seals etc.

Hopefully I'll be able to do it myself soon!

It'll be fine! God know how long some of them will sit in storage / at the port for before people or dealers order from stock. Mine has been sat for all of August, and I don't pick it back up until the 28th. All you would have to worry about really is the battery potentially going flat, which a brand new one shouldn't after a few weeks.

My 1.6 TDI regularly sits in the garage for 3-4 months and always starts straightaway.

That's interesting. Mine went out of action July 19th and can be driven again from Sept. 8th. so sounds like it will be okay.

BMW (spit) has a problem with this, many left in airport car parks for two weeks drained the battery, as whilst the car was stationary and locked, the computer was still operating draing God battery. Nowadays, people line JLR have a power down timer in the system to go to only the alarm system power after that time

I also started my car today after almost 3 weeks of inactivity & it started instantly as it normally would.

I would think it is better just to leave your car for 3 months without touching it, than to start it up & run it for a short time at idle as you wont fully warm up the oil.

Edited by Gabbo
  • Like 1

My cars just special. At the 20k service a few weeks ago the dealer did their standard battery life test and its lost about half its useable life.

It got delivered to me in March 2014 to replace the car I bought in December 2013...

Luckily I drive it long distance daily, so it's only a problem if I get laid up sick for a few days, as I discovered recently.

I will stop hijacking now.

The trouble with that problem is I'd be wondering if it were a bad battery or something wrong with the charging system which would affect a new battery just as much.

• 2 weeks later...

Final word on this. Got permission to start driving today and the car behave exactly as normal, as if it had last been driven yesterday!! Worries over.

• Like 1