man boobs.... need help - please

paxton

I eat fish and chips at least 7 times a week, and a bit flabby. No point in exercise, as on this diet, i'll be dead soon anyway, so may as well put the time saved by not exercising to good use. Like ringing up for pizza, and stuff.

@Fowlerwelsh, buy a bra mate :thumbup:

All it is is an amino acid which can be found in meats etc, but your obviously taking in more…

I know what it is :rolleyes: And it doesn't work with everyone, plus your body can only absorb so much of it. This is why you need to take breaks whilst taking it. All it did for me was make my muscles look a bit bigger (hence why I am not spending cash on it anymore), and that is all it is meant for. It is designed to help competing body builders look bigger.

The best thing to take with protein is a decent amino acid supplement, this helps work with the protein. Protein is another supplement which is hit and miss as a crap protein will do nothing. you can get good protein fro meating tuna and chicken you only really need to supplement if you want to get big. Tell me otherwise and I will scoff at you, as my mate is an Army PTI and my cousin is a Marine PTI and they know a thing or two about diet and training.

Hi Mate,

If your serious about shifting the extra blubber you got going on in the breast area, then take a look over here...(lots of info on diets, training etc etc)

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk

The basics are though to loose weight: you got to be burning more calories than you're consuming: simple as that, unless your into bodybuilding that is.

HTH,

Lee

Hi fowlerwelsh

A little late, but they asked a similar question of a doctor on the telly - i.e. what to eat if intending to do strenuous exercise - in this case, older children swimming. The answer came back that one should eat carbs beforehand and protein afterwards. (Quantities unspecified.) The logic being that the carbs will be burned up as energy during the exercise.

My only other thought was that most GP's can refer you to a nutritionist. That, plus professional exercise advice (which most fitness centres offer) would seem sensible if you are likely to be doing exercise which might put a strain on your heart, especially if extra weight is likely to exacerbate that strain.

An aside, but there is a peak (for some reason) in the graph of male heart attacks between 40 and 50 years. Might be worth considering a longer term plan (rather than boom and bust, no pun intended) to see where you might be in 10 years' time if you re-trained for a generally healthier eating/lifestyle overall.

Hope this helps

Mo

I've been eating things like dates and dried figs at night as a snack(fruit is good isn't it?) .

Does anyone know if they are good for you or fattening?

Don't want to google 'dates' while I am at work!

Carbs are good for turning into energy but if you don't use it soon after eating them, they get packed away for a rainy day as fat.

Take fruit to work and eat it whenever you feel hungry. Eat regularly but not huge meals, and try and avoid eating your biggest meal in the evening (like we all do) as then there's no activity following it to burn it off (er well not enough to burn it all off, OK :D )

If you are a drinker, try and cut down or at least plan your drinking (by which I don't mean plan to go and get totally wasted at every opportunity :P ). I decided a year or two ago to stop drinking alcohol during the week, and limit myself to Friday evening to Sunday. I don't let that stop me enjoying the odd evening out, but I don't sit down with a beer (or several) every day when I get in from work. This has done me a lot of good.

To a certain degree it does not matter as much for the timing of a meal, as it does the total number of KCals you're consuming within a day. If the KCals you're consuming are more than your body requires, it will be stored as fat - simple as. Smaller more frequent meal are a better choice though, as your body will be able to handle these more efficiently for fuel. I could go into a lot more detials about what to and not to eat, but like i said before you can get a whole load of help here...

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk

HTH

Lee

Carbs are no bad thing, they are a huge source of energy, however you need to use them, do nothing and they will put on weight.

If you want a trim body you have to excersise, theirs no escaping that fact. I did a 10 mile run last night at -1 degrees, but boy it felt great afterwards :thumbup:

Eat carbs earlier on during the day or an hour and a half before exersise, proteins should be eaten after exersise.

I am in the process of losing weight, and I have found that my diet has changed. My wife and I dont really eat between meals (I am eating a few Doritos with a salsa dip at the mo!!). I snack on nuts and raisins, high in fat, but good fat. As has been said before, drink lots of water, you pee like a greyhound but you feel loads better for it. I run, but find that rowing gives a good all over workout, with the cardio as well. My shoulders are looking better for it. Just dont let your body get used to the exercise you do, because it will resist fat burning. Change around, interval training on the rower or treadmill, throw the stepper in for a twist. I am finding it hard to remove the meat under my arms, and around my belly, but it is slowly shifting. Well it took me 10 years to grow it, it wont shift in weeks.! Good luck with the weight loss, keep us all posted!!:D

I too have lost weight recently, 14 st down to 12 st. (5'11"). Regular running and free weights have assisted, along with eating healthy.

Lots of skinless chicken fillets and tons of veg. I don't drink enough water and still drink too much alcohol, but have changed from beer to wine as it doesn't appear to go straight on your belly. Still got a little pot belly that I can't seem to shift.

i found Men's Health magazine a good help and they have some good recipes if you know nowt about food like me. they also have great training advice as well. I've done this without going to the gym, but I will be joining one soon.:thumbup:

Echo the thoughts on www.muscletalk.co.uk - invaluable aid to training and eating.

Basic rules i follow whilst training up to comp are:

1) Eat 5-6 times a day. This process serves a number of functions. You are not hungry therefore less likely to snack on poor food. It keeps your metabolism working throughout the day, which keeps the body burning fuel and prevents any blood sugar plunges (the process which accounts for post-lunch sloth!!)

2) Drink plenty of water. 2-4 litres if you can manage it. Not only will you look and fel better, water assists in the transportation of toxins out of the body. Your bladder adjusts in days to the new regime.

3) Protein is a complex question. Competing power athletes (powerlifters, bodybuilders, rugby players) have comsumed excess protein for years and attribute their gains to it. However, much of the research shows that it may not be assimilated by the body and merely excreted out. I would suggest upping protein (approx. 1.5g per kilo of bodyweight)if you are weight-training.

4) Carbs are a vital part of your function. At the extreme end, carb depletion will slow brain function as carbs are used for energy for brain activity. Try to get carbs for oats, brown rice, brown pasta, small amount of brown bread, veg, some fruit. After training, try to consume a quick-release carb such as a banana and a small amount of protein to replace the lost glycogen from your muscles and to initiate the repair of muscle fibre.

5) Try for a mix of exercise type. Cardio-vascular work will assist you in losing fat (it is possible for some people with no training, but requires careful manipulation of diet). You MUST remember that it should be about FAT-LOSS not weight loss. These are different. It is a piece of p**s to lose weight (stop eating) far harder to lose fat and maintain any muscle you have existing. Weight-training will do wonders for you. Try for 1hr, three times per week with free weights if possible. Although as a beginner anything you do will have an effect.

So a typical day might be:

Meal 1: Porridge made with skimmed milk, 3 scrambled egg whites and 1 yolk.

Meal 2: Pasta salad with grilled chicken

Meal 3: Wholemeal tuna sandwich made with creme fraiche and salad

Meal 4: Apple and small amount cottage cheese

Meal 5: Salmon, grilled with a sweet potato and brocolli with lemon and olive oil

Meal 6: Cottage cheese

I know to look at this you may be thibking of crap I can never stick at that. However, if you try this in the week and then have a more relaxed diet at the weekend, it will be easier to stick to. Just remember that it is impossible to spot reduce fat. You will have to lose fat from all over to rid of the man boobies - although if this is an area of particular deposit for you it may come of a little quicker.

Hope this is of some assistance. Just to let you know, I follow something similar to this, and can lose 20lbs of FAT in 10 weeks, with no loss of lean muscle, measured with body compostion calipers. It is possible!!

All the best

Chris

I have only skimmed thro this thread, so if I am repeating anything, let me know.

I recently (well, about two years ago) started on (my version of) the Atkins diet.

You see I'm a vegi :thumbup: So all the meat eating is straight out of the window.

So, in about four months I lost just over 4 stone!!!!! Well I was nearly 17.5 to start with. (I am 6ft and 'big boned'?)

If you need to loose weight, it's easy! Just stop drinking beer, I drank only water for a whole year. (My first coffee after a year was soooome caffine trip)

And, no Carb's, cut out anything that may have sugar or flour in it. No potatoes, pasta etc etc etc.

The fist few weeks were hell, however after a while I felt great and realy enjoyed doing the diet, as you effectivly could eat all the time, as long as you did not eat any Carb's.

It's now been over a year since I stopped being realy strict (i.e. almost normal eating, but in moderation) and no weight gain.

BTW, I have recently been dianosed with Coeliac's, this is a intollerance to Gluten, i.e. things like bread and pasta, so I guess this is why I liked doing the Atkins so much.

Hi

Like vaktrebor, I'm also coeliac (no wheat or gluten), so rice and spuds. I usually cook two or three portions, then freeze some. Thus there's a homemade quick microwave option handy - which helps avoid takeaway temptation.

FWIW, "a weekly shop" doesn't work for me - it's too easy to eat the "goodies" and not bother with the fruit and veg, so depressingly watch it going off...

Better to buy frozen veg, or buy veg more frequently, then chop and freeze that day. Especially e.g. spring onions, mushrooms, carrots - a few bits can be stir-fried or thrown into gravy to "healthify" most meals.

Tinned tomatoes are apparently as good as fresh, Vit D and lycopene-wise, apparently. Potatoes and cauliflower are better (and quicker to reheat) if parboiled then frozen IMO, though I never bother freezing courgette or broccoli.

Sesame-seed bread is good for snacking: If sliced (1cm) and lightly toasted under the oven grill, then left in there to dry out. Once cold, can be stored in poly bag. Like breadsticks, it's great for when bored but aren't desperate for something sweet.

The trick for healthy eating is to have "good" things to hand that you like, IMO.

Mo