VOSA system crashed, MOT queues....Car stuck overnight.

Hello all, took my Roomster up to my local garageman to check it over prior to MOT, he went on and took it up to an MOT place that he uses (not my usual), apparently the VOSA (or whatever they're called now) system has crashed, so they can't print out a test checklist etc etc, or presumably check when my MOT expires.  So the Roomy is spending an enforced night away, I hope they look after it properly!

Richard

You can check MOT/tax status here:

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/Default.aspx

They should have a PDF of the VT29 check list on the hard drive of their computer, so they can print that.  What they can't do is access the system to start and finish the test, however they should still be able to do the test and manually record the result and issue hand written documents for them to enter into the system when it comes back on line.  This takes time which would reduce the number of tests that they can do in a day.

They did some maintenance on the new system last Sunday and it's had a few outages.  Luckily, we're still on the old system.

I've just logged onto the new system and it appears to be working, but it's a little worrying that I will have the ability to issue MOT certificates from home, if I did, I would be shortly unemployed.

Printing out check sheets? Scary how different it is here, paper check sheets have been gone for decades now. Think of the environment with your medieval Kevin Webster testing system. :P

Hello all, took my Roomster up to my local garageman to check it over prior to MOT, he went on and took it up to an MOT place that he uses (not my usual), apparently the VOSA (or whatever they're called now) system has crashed, so they can't print out a test checklist etc etc, or presumably check when my MOT expires.  So the Roomy is spending an enforced night away, I hope they look after it properly!

Richard

^^^ Don't you know, and why keep it?

Recently I took mine in for MOT 13 days before it expired, what a waste that was. They said (and I didn't believe them) that the system had thrown a wobble and spit it's dummy out and could only give me a certificate from the day the MOT was carried out and have I recently changed the reg plate. Told them the reg plate was the same last year when they MOT'ed it, and I even gave them the current cert to go off.

Actually I do have the 2013 and 2014 certificates (and 2014 smoke test printout), it expires this coming Friday 21st, I did have the pre-check followed by test, booked for last week's Tuesday and Wednesday, however my Dad died early August, and his funeral was last Tuesday, hence the deferrals until this week's Days Off.   Car acquired Sept 2013.

Richard.

I thought when your car went in for an MOT it either came out with a new MOT certificate or it didn't and was unroadworthy until it passed. It didn't matter how long you had on the current MOT.

Admittedly I've heard about 3 versions of that from MOT stations.

The DVSA have urinated on a few people's chips these past couple of weeks with their new mot computerisation.

ours changed over about 3 weeks ago and I have received an email every day with a contingency testing code.

now that's acceptable BUT when their site is inaccessible to the point where contingency documents can't be accessed or downloaded you're stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Richard

That'll teach you leaving it until the last minute!

I also had my car MOT'd on the 18th.

I booked the MOT Dec 2014 so its not a case of booking it at the last minute in my situation Graham.  :no:

Only paid £20 for it too haha.  :D