First drive in 120bhp Superb III - impressions

I had a drive in a 120 tdi ambition (SE) model (this was the only one available). It was on optional 18" wheels (235/35/45) with rear sun blinds and electric hatch. Only had it for a while but here are my initial quick views:

Driving - improved over current model especially in corners. Better handling generally but steering was a bit too sensitive with over and under steer apparent. Feels stable on the road.

Comfort- very Similar to current model overall even on those wheels ( I have 18" wheels also). Handles bumps better but then again the car is new and very tight anyway. Slight room for improvement with refinement but it's still very good.

Engine - this was the most surprising part. The 120 tdi unit is very lively and I was very impressed with the torque and acceleration. It felt more like a 140 or 150. Much quieter than current 1.6 tdi but still a little noisy at idle - not too bad though. Judging by this, I would assume that the 150 is more than enough.

Gear stick actually sits quite high and I found this a little uncomfortable but maybe that's just me. Gesr changes were fine and not too long even on the long. As I said I'm seriously impressed with that engine and in Ireland this will be the big seller.

Interior - I've already posted a review of the interior of a similar model when it was launched and the quality of the plastics has definitely improved. Door cards are a little disappointing though and I compared the to an Octavia and TBH they feel very much the same. Some lower grade plastics used on lower parts of the cabin and also the glove compartment had a hard plastic cover.

The armrest ratchets the same as previous model. Headlining feels a bit flimsy.

Everything feels tight on the road and doesn't feel like the cabin will creak too much over time. I know it was a mod spec and I drive an L&K but it just felt a little too much like a slightly bigger Octavia with a bit more damping!

Boot release is on the drivers side BTW.

I'll stick up a few pics later but first impressions are very good overall with decent refinement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I had a drive in a 120 tdi ambition (SE) model (this was the only one available). It was on optional 18" wheels (235/35/45) with rear sun blinds and electric hatch. Only had it for a while but here are my initial quick views:

Driving - improved over current model especially in corners. Better handling generally but steering was a bit too sensitive with over and under steer apparent. Feels stable on the road.

Comfort- very Similar to current model overall even on those wheels ( I have 18" wheels also). Handles bumps better but then again the car is new and very tight anyway. Slight room for improvement with refinement but it's still very good.

Engine - this was the most surprising part. The 120 tdi unit is very lively and I was very impressed with the torque and acceleration. It felt more like a 140 or 150. Much quieter than current 1.6 tdi but still a little noisy at idle - not too bad though. Judging by this, I would assume that the 150 is more than enough.

Gear stick actually sits quite high and I found this a little uncomfortable but maybe that's just me. Gesr changes were fine and not too long even on the long. As I said I'm seriously impressed with that engine and in Ireland this will be the big seller.

Interior - I've already posted a review of the interior of a similar model when it was launched and the quality of the plastics has definitely improved. Door cards are a little disappointing though and I compared the to an Octavia and TBH they feel very much the same. Some lower grade plastics used on lower parts of the cabin and also the glove compartment had a hard plastic cover.

The armrest ratchets the same as previous model. Headlining feels a bit flimsy.

Everything feels tight on the road and doesn't feel like the cabin will creak too much over time. I know it was a mod spec and I drive an L&K but it just felt a little too much like a slightly bigger Octavia with a bit more damping!

Boot release is on the drivers side BTW.

I'll stick up a few pics later but first impressions are very good overall with decent refinement.

So, the big question, is it a better car than a Superb 2?

DC

So, the big question, is it a better car than a Superb 2?

DC

Its a slightly better car but not as much as I thought it would be. They have added a bit but also taken away (presumably to keep in Line with orders from VAG not to compete the Passat etc) a bit in terms of the overall package. It has now just become another fleet car like a Mondeo/insignia and lost some of it uniqueness- and there is nothing wrong with that either I suppose. Put it this way, the MkII is still a very respectable car when compared to it.

• Like 1

Its a slightly better car but not as much as I thought it would be. They have added a bit but also taken away (presumably to keep in Line with orders from VAG not to compete the Passat etc) a bit in terms of the overall package. It has now just become another fleet car like a Mondeo/insignia and lost some of it uniqueness- and there is nothing wrong with that either I suppose. Put it this way, the MkII is still a very respectable car when compared to it.

What do you feel has been taken away? Are you referring to differences between trim levels or overall design/style?

Agree with comment about the gear lever in a manual (not seen a DSG yet) - but it is set way too high! Whoever signed that off at the factory?

Stop / start again, useless (yet to drive a good one from any manufacturer), too keen to stop leading to issues at junctions,

And finally bloody electric handbrakes! Is it me, or do these simply cause more trouble than they are worth? Hill hold on my wife's Yeti works great (stops you rolling back), but select the electric handbrake on in the Superb III and try to drive off, you will progress down the road with the handbrake on, looking like a learner on first lesson!

I'm also not convinced about the 'improvement' in style over the II, but then nowadays new models look more like facelifts than new designs anyway. Maybe when more are on the road the differences will be obvious. Looks well built though, and will pick up fleet sales I'm sure.

Agree with comment about the gear lever in a manual (not seen a DSG yet) - but it is set way too high! Whoever signed that off at the factory?

Stop / start again, useless (yet to drive a good one from any manufacturer), too keen to stop leading to issues at junctions,

And finally bloody electric handbrakes! Is it me, or do these simply cause more trouble than they are worth? Hill hold on my wife's Yeti works great (stops you rolling back), but select the electric handbrake on in the Superb III and try to drive off, you will progress down the road with the handbrake on, looking like a learner on first lesson!

I'm also not convinced about the 'improvement' in style over the II, but then nowadays new models look more like facelifts than new designs anyway. Maybe when more are on the road the differences will be obvious. Looks well built though, and will pick up fleet sales I'm sure.

Not for you then!

Stop/Start on my Mazda6 works great.

I do like the new Superb. Very nice looking car. Interesting comments from someone who owns a MK2 too.

I drove a Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI with the 8 speed auto box in. It had stop/start and it was flawless.

You could either just keep light pressure on the brake and it wouldn't switch off or if you pushed the pedal right it in would shut off. Setting off at junctions wasn't an issue as by the time you started to lift off the brake and got to the throttle the engine had restarted and you were off.

I don't like the idea of a manual box with it on so much.

• Like 1

What do you feel has been taken away? Are you referring to differences between trim levels or overall design/style?

Quality of materials - some have improved but others have not and there is dumbing down of material quality which was to be expected as VAG indicated this. Trim levels have been trimmed back generally across the range and Skoda are going to make customers pay more for spec that was included previously making a 'high spec' model quite expensive and pushing it into premium territory. The whole point of the SII was that you were getting more bang for your buck.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of a manual box with it on so much.

I thought it worked in a manual when the car was at a stop and the clutch was fully depressed. This could only be achieved if you were in neutral. As soon as you pressed the clutch to move into gear, the car would have already started. If you stopped while still in gear with the clutch pressed then it wouldn't stop the engine. Doesn't sound like this would cause a nuisance either way.

Just out of interest what are we paying more for that was included in the mk2 ?

Well some of this could be market specific to be fair but for example (in Ireland) heated rear seats, park assist and one or two other items that I can't think of right now have become options where they were previously standard on the old elegance model.  Some of the higher grade seat upholstery options have become options on some trims too.  I know new spec has appeared for the first time but my main point (and I probably didn't really make it clear on my post above) is that the options list on the SII was quite small due to the amount of standard equipment.  The list is quite a bit longer on the SIII with most of the assistance systems being paid for options across the range and the electric boot is an option also even on the L&K (again I'm referencing the Irish market).  This, on top of the price increases just doesn't make it such a compelling offering anymore.  Just my opinion though.

• Like 3

I have now driven an SE L and I must admit didn’t notice any “dumbing down of material quality”... that is not to say it isn’t there, I just didn’t notice any in the half hour or so I was in the car.

FWIW I specced up a Passat to nearly the same spec as an L&K + options (£36K) and it came out at just over £40K!

I have now driven an SE L and I must admit didn’t notice any “dumbing down of material quality”... that is not to say it isn’t there, I just didn’t notice any in the half hour or so I was in the car.

FWIW I specced up a Passat to nearly the same spec as an L&K + options (£36K) and it came out at just over £40K!

For me, it is the headlining, door cards, look and feel of the dash and damping on some fittings.

On the Passat equivalent, I specced a Passat 150bhp Highline Business Edition (highest spec) and added a few options like 18" wheels, full leather to bring it in line with the L&K and it came to just slightly over €39k on the road. This includes full LED headlights, not available on the Superb. A 150 L&K Superb with no options is over €40K OTR. Again, I'm looking at Ireland so maybe Skoda have decided to squeeze their customers a bit more here and take advantage of the very successful run it has had over the past few years - maybe I'm just being cynical !

• Like 1

Well some of this could be market specific to be fair but for example (in Ireland) heated rear seats, park assist and one or two other items that I can't think of right now have become options where they were previously standard on the old elegance model.  Some of the higher grade seat upholstery options have become options on some trims too.  I know new spec has appeared for the first time but my main point (and I probably didn't really make it clear on my post above) is that the options list on the SII was quite small due to the amount of standard equipment.  The list is quite a bit longer on the SIII with most of the assistance systems being paid for options across the range and the electric boot is an option also even on the L&K (again I'm referencing the Irish market).  This, on top of the price increases just doesn't make it such a compelling offering anymore.  Just my opinion though.

Thanks very much for your informative & helpful posts, I might just heed SWMBO's advice & enjoy my current Superb for another year or so! 

FWIW it's worth she used to work in Fleet Sales & Marketing for a UK car manufacturer, &she /  none of her co-worker,s would ever buy a new model until it had been production for at least 6 months.  

Perhaps the concept of early adopters / customers being unpaid test drivers, is something to bear in mind?

DC

For me, it is the headlining, door cards, look and feel of the dash and damping on some fittings.

On the Passat equivalent, I specced a Passat 150bhp Highline Business Edition (highest spec) and added a few options like 18" wheels, full leather to bring it in line with the L&K and it came to just slightly over €39k on the road. This includes full LED headlights, not available on the Superb. A 150 L&K Superb with no options is over €40K OTR. Again, I'm looking at Ireland so maybe Skoda have decided to squeeze their customers a bit more here and take advantage of the very successful run it has had over the past few years - maybe I'm just being cynical !

I must admit I forgot to feel the headlining on the Superb... it’s something I meant to do, but I do quite like the dash.

I specced the top of the range (in the UK) R Line

The main difference between that Passat and Superb is the Passat you need to pay for the electric memory seats (a must for me) yes they benefit from also being massaging seats, but at one hell of a cost, the LED headlights are not cheap either, the basic price is not bad at all, but when you can easily add over £10K worth of options it goes to show how lacking the spec is as std :

New Passat 2.0 TDI SCR 190 R Line 4dr DSG £30,490 Metallic - Tungsten silver £540

Park assist steering with front/rear parking sensors - £200.0 

Electric panoramic sunroof with sunblind - £925.0 

Power boot opening and closing - £235.0 

Rear view camera - £310.0 

Climate comfort windscreen - £340.0 

Electric rear + manual rear side sunblinds - £310.0 

Nappa leather - Titan Black/flint grey + heated front and outer rear seats + heated windscreen washer jets - £1825.0 

19" Verona alloy wheels + anti-theft wheel bolts + full size alloy spare wheel - £535.0 

Winter pack - Passat - heated front seats - £280.0 

14 way electric adjustable front seats + driver seat lumbar support with massage/memory function - £920.0 

Driver assistance pack plus - Passat - £1200.0 

LED premium headlights with dynamic curve and LED daytime running lights - £1205.0 

Dynamic chassis control - £705.0 

Advance telephone connection - £360.0

Additional options  £9,350 Total RRP £40,380                

Compared to the L&K:

New Superb 2.0 TDI CR 190 Laurin + Klement 5dr DSG £32,340 Metallic - Business grey £535

Ventilated front seats - £425.0 
Gearshift paddles - £95.0 
Manual rear and rear side window sunblinds - £250.0 
Heated washer nozzles - £50.0 
Space saver spare wheel - £100.0 
Rear view camera - £300.0 
Electric slide and tilt sunroof - £850.0 
Leather - Beige - £0.0 
19" Phoenix anthracite alloy wheels - £650.0 
Smart light assist - £100.0 
Bluetooth with phonebox - £250.0
Crew protection assist and rear side airbags - £435.0

Additional options  £3,505 Total RRP £36,380

• Like 1

I must admit I forgot to feel the headlining on the Superb... it’s something I meant to do, but I do quite like the dash.

I specced the top of the range (in the UK) R Line

The main difference between that Passat and Superb is the Passat you need to pay for the electric memory seats (a must for me) yes they benefit from also being massaging seats, but at one hell of a cost, the LED headlights are not cheap either, the basic price is not bad at all, but when you can easily add over £10K worth of options it goes to show how lacking the spec is as std :

New Passat 2.0 TDI SCR 190 R Line 4dr DSG £30,490 Metallic - Tungsten silver £540

Park assist steering with front/rear parking sensors - £200.0

Electric panoramic sunroof with sunblind - £925.0

Power boot opening and closing - £235.0

Rear view camera - £310.0

Climate comfort windscreen - £340.0

Electric rear + manual rear side sunblinds - £310.0

Nappa leather - Titan Black/flint grey + heated front and outer rear seats + heated windscreen washer jets - £1825.0

19" Verona alloy wheels + anti-theft wheel bolts + full size alloy spare wheel - £535.0

Winter pack - Passat - heated front seats - £280.0

14 way electric adjustable front seats + driver seat lumbar support with massage/memory function - £920.0

Driver assistance pack plus - Passat - £1200.0

LED premium headlights with dynamic curve and LED daytime running lights - £1205.0

Dynamic chassis control - £705.0

Advance telephone connection - £360.0 Additional options £9,350 Total RRP £40,380

Ah I can differences there alright. Some of the options above are standard over here (well on the top models anyway) so probably not a complete like for like comparison. Looking at your list There are one or two other options that would need to be added to what I specced online for the Passat to bring it in line with the L&K. It would make the two around the same price then which is different to the way things were with the SII when there was a more noticeable gap. At that point its down to extra space in the Superb (gap is narrowing though) over the more premium feeling and image of the Passat and resale values of course, which should be strong for both. BTW I've no intention of changing mine at the moment as it only 20 months old. I'm just curious about the new SIII and thinking ahead to my next purchase when the time comes [emoji6]