Vrs TDI ESTATE final leg MPG

4461BE46-54DB-437B-AE11-78A5E35531E7.jpg

Forgot to capture my mpg on a trip to Kerry until the last leg! But i am happy enough with the results. Mix of roads/motorways back up to Belfast.

2 adults (large!) and fully loaded with cool box tackle water clothes etc etc. Diesel was 85p a litre! 38 psi all round in tyres. 1000miles on clock before setting off.

• Like 2

To be honest, on the way back up either via Limerick or Cork the motorways aren't conducive to good mpg given the inclines in places meaning that's decent going.

Forgot to capture my mpg on a trip to Kerry until the last leg! But i am happy enough with the results. Mix of roads/motorways back up to Belfast.

2 adults (large!) and fully loaded with cool box tackle water clothes etc etc. Diesel was 85p a litre! 38 psi all round in tyres. 1000miles on clock before setting off.

Manual or DSG?

My trip down to the South of France. Mostly on cruise at 145kmh with some stretches 100+

Second leg of the journey was a bit better. Again high speeds all the way :)

As people probably know on a Saturday down here the traffic is also horrific on the autoroute hence the low averages.

Car is a manual and had 400 miles on the clock. Hoping it's a bit better on the way back although with Diesel being around 75p a litre here I'm not too bothered haha

post-131606-0-42717900-1440345676_thumb.jpg

post-131606-0-13550600-1440345733_thumb.jpg

Edited by davey1343

1,800 miles into my 2,500 mile trek through Europe last year in my vRS TDI hatch....

IMG_1810.JPG

I average around 58/59mpg from memory by the time I hit Calais on the return trip.

Now you're talking! Good figures

Have you already covered 314 miles, and have 300 miles left in your tank? Lol my tsi is lucky to have the first figure as range when I've just filled up!

Yes, 300 miles left, covered 314 Since start of journey.

I didnt get the 314 miles though, that was on a 250 mile motorway trip, when i got home and was back to normal shop runs, work etc it drastically dropped.

I usually get 500 or just over miles a tank.

no pics but drove like a vicar with myself and 2 large 11 stone great danes  and a spaniel in the front from leeds to Carlisle j44 on m6 services back down to swadlicote near derby then back up to leeds mainly motorway but it was 408 miles and 66.2 on trip

How accurate are people finding the on-board computer? My FL vRS was normally pretty close, but the one in my Mazda was way off...indicating 59-60, and barely actually managing 52-53!

I find it pretty accurate. Its normaly no more than 3-4% off compared to my aCar numbers.

I only have a 1.4 tsi but the fuel consumption display is scarily consistent with recorded consumption.

Odometer is within 1% but the speedometer is about 7% out.

Every car has its own display and instrument characteristics so you should verify them with gps and actual consumption recording.

So in my case a verification photo would show an optimistic average speed but accurate consumption.

I find it hard to tell how accurate the mpg figures are. Whether you read from the computer or calculate your own based on full-ups you're still relying on the accuracy of the cars odometer.

I think this causes some of the discrepancy between different people's readings. Even a 5mm difference between new and worn tyres can change the wheel circumference by about 3.5%.

This changes 50mpg to 52mpg. It's not a lot but coupled with other factors could have a effect.

Measuring speed from the front wheels even means that straight line vs cornering could have a effect (if the measured wheel is slowed by the differential.)

*quick and crappy maths, and being a overly anal about these things.

I keep track of my fuel use mainly to remind me to drive economically during the boring commute and save my fuel for weekend fun!

Xdq you are right about it being difficult to be precise because there are just too many factors to take into account.

Accuracy of the fuel pump, consistency of refill, temperature of the fuel from the pump to name just a few.

I am happy just to know the relative accuracies of odo and speedo. Since my figures were from when the car was relatively new I guess I should measure again against gps to what effects tyre wear to date has had.

• Like 1