Picked up my new MK3 Monte Carlo

Oni

And it's absolutely fantastic. Couldn't be happier. Christened it with a drive through London traffic and down to Dorset and it didn't skip a beat.

CarPlay is great and just works as you would expect it to. Used the apple maps to get through London and Spotify kept us entertained. The wife figured out how to use it without any instruction and she isn't the biggest fan of technology.

It's a 1.2 110 in black magic with a spare wheel. Everything else is standard Monte Carlo.

The only thing I might do is get it lowered but I'll think about it for a while. Already had 2 randoms compliment it whilst parked up.

• Like 2

Some more snaps

Looking good. Wonderful to hear that Car Play works so well after the 14 page thread about Mirror Link etc. what phone are you using, please?

I'm about a week away from an SE L hatch with same engine and DSG, with a panorama roof and some other bits. Taken a chance on Topaz Brown, just to be a bit different. Fingers crossed as no-one seems to have seen it in the metal.

If I'm as happy as you, I will be er...happy.

• Like 1

Looks very smart :-)

A set of 17" wheels and some lowering springs would complete the look imho

......and quite likely compromise the ride quality. There comes a time when appearance isn't everything. Of course, it would make a difference on-track but most cars don't go out to play. Just saying.

Looking good. Wonderful to hear that Car Play works so well after the 14 page thread about Mirror Link etc. what phone are you using, please?

I'm about a week away from an SE L hatch with same engine and DSG, with a panorama roof and some other bits. Taken a chance on Topaz Brown, just to be a bit different. Fingers crossed as no-one seems to have seen it in the metal.

I've used it with my iPhone 6 plus and the wife's iPhone 6. Was playing with Siri voice control last night and it was coping fine with my thick accent which was impressive. Quite freaky being able to ask your car what age George Best was when he died and it answer accurately. Texting with voice works very well also.

After driving it around some very dodgy roads in the new forest I'm glad I've not had it lowered yet. We're going to be moving here soon so practicality may win out over looks in the 17"/lowering debate. I agree it would complete the look.

For a 1.2 it can really shift and I've been chucking it around back roads. It's no GTI but it's great fun all the same.

I didn't believe you about the rear electric windows... How bizarre!? Not my problem though and something less to go wrong.

......and quite likely compromise the ride quality. There comes a time when appearance isn't everything. Of course, it would make a difference on-track but most cars don't go out to play. Just saying.

17" wheels are great! I cannot tell any difference in the ride from standard and they look correct IMO  :sun:

• Like 1

Not necessarily :-). Depends which ones you go for. The H+R springs on our mk2 vRS have been great. The ride is only very slightly firmer over harsh bumps at low speed, all other times it actually rides better. Far less floaty and much better controlled. Body roll is vastly reduced and it corners a fair bit quicker and crucially is more fun. Win-win scenario for us although I'm aware it can be abit of a gamble when you mod a car in this way which is why it always pays to do your research as far as you can.

The benefits to uprating the suspension are obviously going to be apparent on track but it's still a very useful and fun thing to do for the road too :-)

Topaz is lovely in the metal really nice colour. Imho. A nice change from the norm in car colours.

Prior to ordering my SE L Hatch I had an hour in a Monte on 16” wheels. On the back roads around Lincoln it was great fun...hence it reminded me of my gone-but-not-forgotten Mk1 vRS. I'm at an age where the I cannot justify the expense of 17" wheels or new springs and, to,be frank, I doubt I'd be any happier on them. However, you guys know what you're doing and obviously feel the benefits of the upgrade, so fair play to you.

I have yet to discover what build week my car is...hopefully post wk 22. But if not, I'll likely just buy a new Tom Tom to replace myncirca 2004 version.

I wonder if the Amundsen unit can be retrofitted? And is it worth it?

Prior to ordering my SE L Hatch I had an hour in a Monte on 16” wheels. On the back roads around Lincoln it was great fun...hence it reminded me of my gone-but-not-forgotten Mk1 vRS. I'm at an age where the I cannot justify the expense of 17" wheels or new springs and, to,be frank, I doubt I'd be any happier on them. However, you guys know what you're doing and obviously feel the benefits of the upgrade, so fair play to you.

I have yet to discover what build week my car is...hopefully post wk 22. But if not, I'll likely just buy a new Tom Tom to replace myncirca 2004 version.

I wonder if the Amundsen unit can be retrofitted? And is it worth it?

If it's a factory order they are now all post week 22!

Some more snaps

I don't like it.

I don't want to like it.

I shouldn't like it.

I kind of want to like it.

.... I think I like it.

Upgrading mine come spring and can't decide between a new Fabia MC or possibly an Octy :( Yours looks a lot sharper than my "all black" estate.

Edited by iSamage
  • Like 1

If it's a factory order they are now all post week 22!

Thanks Oli. It was on UK stock so might be either side of 22. I'll find out when it arrives but the spec suits me fine and a new Tom Tom with Brodit dash' mount will do the job very well. Don't have a smartphone so linking to the Bolero isn't a concern. However, if there was a good, discreet mount for my iPad 2 then that would save me buying a new Tom Tom as I have good stand-alone satnav on that. Having said that, the iPad is a pretty big screen for a relatively small dasnboard. IPad Mini might have been better. First world problems.

If anyone knows of a good iPad dash' mounts, please shout.

Thanks Oli. It was on UK stock so might be either side of 22. I'll find out when it arrives but the spec suits me fine and a new Tom Tom with Brodit dash' mount will do the job very well. Don't have a smartphone so linking to the Bolero isn't a concern. However, if there was a good, discreet mount for my iPad 2 then that would save me buying a new Tom Tom as I have good stand-alone satnav on that. Having said that, the iPad is a pretty big screen for a relatively small dasnboard. IPad Mini might have been better. First world problems.

If anyone knows of a good iPad dash' mounts, please shout.

Ah right! Well it sounds like you're covered then! Just forget about it and love the car!

Ah right! Well it sounds like you're covered then! Just forget about it and love the car!

I'm sure I'll enjoy it. If it has half the character of my Mk1 Fabia vRS then I will be a very happy bunny.

• Like 1

Nice! Love these.. 

I very nearly bought one albeit an estate, but when it come down to it, for my needs the SE L with some options was a better deal.

I was convinced if I bought one I wanted to add the 17" wheels from looking photos online.

All the photos I've seen of people posting seem to make the wheels look to small, like trolley wheels with the car top heavy. 

However, once I got my hands on one and everytime I've seen on since, it never seems as obvious when I've stood looking at the at them in person.

Maybe it's colour related.

My mum picked her Topaz Brown SE L last week, lovely colour  :thumbup:

My mum picked her Topaz Brown SE L last week, lovely colour  :thumbup:

Saw mine for the first time yesterday, but not yet PDI'd. Glad I chose the colour. Give a wave to your Mum.

I saw a couple of Monte Carlos over the weekend and I have to say they look stunning in race blue and black magic.

The glass roof is a brilliant addition. If they make a VRS and it looks as good as that I'd be tempted.

Only thing I wasn't too keen on was the seat colour scheme. A little too much going on with the 3 colours

• Like 1