Dissappearing coolant vrs

willmag

Hi guys,

Did a track day last year, first time i'd properly ragged the car, was black flagged to find steam coming out of the wheel arch and from around the expansion tank. Ever since the car has needed a coolant top up every 200-500 miles as the light starts flashing and beeping at me, could this just be a cracked expansion tank? And has anyone had this before?

p.s. ive checked elsewhere for leaks and cant see any and there is no 'mayonnaise' in the oil etc.

Cheers 

If your loosing water there are only 2 places it could be going. 

Either leaking out or entering the combustion chamber/oil sump = head gasket/head lift issue.

If your not finding any mayo like substances on the oil/header cap and your not noticing excessive white smoke then I'd say it's got to be a leak somewhere. It may only noticeable under pressure when the car is being driven hard. 

I find the standard clips securing the water hoses to be very crap, replacing them with proper jubilee clips could help. The usual suspect areas are the radiator hoses and the ones for the heater matrix in the cabin, no wet carpets or anything? Could also be a hairline crack in the rad somewhere too. 

If your loosing water there are only 2 places it could be going. 

Either leaking out or entering the combustion chamber/oil sump = head gasket/head lift issue.

If your not finding any mayo like substances on the oil/header cap and your not noticing excessive white smoke then I'd say it's got to be a leak somewhere. It may only noticeable under pressure when the car is being driven hard. 

I find the standard clips securing the water hoses to be very crap, replacing them with proper jubilee clips could help. The usual suspect areas are the radiator hoses and the ones for the heater matrix in the cabin, no wet carpets or anything? Could also be a hairline crack in the rad somewhere too. 

Yeah there's no mayo in the oil cap or white smoke. There always seems to be moisture around the bottom of the expansion tank so i've just bought a replacement and will fit it. See if that helps! Thanks

Take the cap off the expansion tank tomorrow morning, before you start the engine. See whether there's any residual pressure in there.

Yeah there's usually a tiny bit of pressure left but nothing like when its hot!

If you still get this with your new tank, I would suggest getting your coolant tested for combustion gases.

So i've just checked the pressure again this morning and there was a lot there, big hiss etc. I also smelt the coolant and smells almost burnt if that make sense, not like fresh coolant at all! Is it still worth my changing the tank??