6spd gearbox conversion

rallytog

Hi everyone. Newbie here with a question that's possibly been asked before.

Has anyone done a 6 spd gearbox covers ion on their Fabia? I would like one in my Monte - it's the 1.6 tdi model as I find it odd it didn't have one to start with!

My other thought is to do a complete 2.0 tdi conversion with gearbox.

Thoughts?

Not that ive ever heard of.

The fabias never came with a 2.0tdi, but the prefacelift had a 1.9PD 105 in it. So maybe that might fit better and be an easier job?

I think the mounts might have changed at the facelift anyway though.

Edit: dont think the 1.9 has a 6th gear either though.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

1.9 PD also only had a 5 gear 'box.

I can't say I haven't daydreamt about it myself - but it'd be mega bucks. If you were to do this, you'd might aswell get a donor 2.0TDI with 6spd and transplant it in. (If it were to be possible)

I knew the pre-face lift had the 1.9 but didn't know it was a 5 spd. I wondered if a box out of say a golf/ octavia/ Leon would fit.

Failing that, the 2.0 out one of them. Having a pd170 in the fabia would be pretty darn good!

just go buy an ibiza 2.0 tdi fr lot cheaper way of doing it

I've been on that thought path myself, especially the 184 DSG, but I keep seeing Leon FR's EVERYWHERE.... Would prefer to have a car that i'd hardly ever see another.

Only ever seen one other Monte estate, and a handful of Hatches :)

• Like 1

I've been on that thought path myself, especially the 184 DSG, but I keep seeing Leon FR's EVERYWHERE.... Would prefer to have a car that i'd hardly ever see another.

Only ever seen one other Monte estate, and a handful of Hatches :)

Can you get the 184 DSG in the ibiza? Or do you mean in the leon?

Be a right weapon in the ibiza wouldnt it :D

Can you get the 184 DSG in the ibiza? Or do you mean in the leon?

Be a right weapon in the ibiza wouldnt it :D

As awesome as it sounds no you can't! Genuinely thought It said Leon!! The 2.0TDI Bit threw me off.

I'll get my coat.

As awesome as it sounds no you can't! Genuinely thought It said Leon!! The 2.0TDI Bit threw me off.

I'll get my coat.

Eh dont worry.

It would be awesome though :D.

Sure you can get the 150bhp though. Or you used to be able to get the 140 CR atleast. (:

I guess. Why would you make the ibiza FR faster than the Leon FR.

I have a feeling the ratios don't differ really between the 5 and 6 speed gearboxes so not too much point.

Plus sourcing a 6 speed box that would fit in a MK2 Fabia with a 1.6 TDI would be very difficult. If you want more gears it's probably easier to fit a DSG7 since this engine/gearbox combo is already available.

Phil

Cheers for the replies guys. I have had a wee look around the sister models and both Audi & VW use a 5spd box in the the polo & A1 with the same engine. Strange especially now a days when you can get a 1.4 Kia petrol with a 6spd box!

Looks like I'll just need to stick with what I've got then:-)

Cheers for the replies guys. I have had a wee look around the sister models and both Audi & VW use a 5spd box in the the polo & A1 with the same engine. Strange especially now a days when you can get a 1.4 Kia petrol with a 6spd box!

Looks like I'll just need to stick with what I've got then:-)

The kia having a 6 speed box doesnt mean much

It might just have a closer ratio box and leave you skipping gears more often.

The kia having a 6 speed box doesnt mean much

It might just have a closer ratio box and leave you skipping gears more often.

Yup! That's exactly it. The reason most boxes have 6 speed now is for emissions. They can have more ratios packed into the same overall ratio of a 5 speed so that there isn't such a big jump between 4th and 5th for example.

My mother in law has a Golf 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Cabriolet. It has a 5 speed manual and the revs at 70mph are exactly the same as my 6 speed DSG.

• Like 1