Fixed or variable mileage servicing

Tidza

I've recently bought a late Mark II L&K (12 plate) and the 'service due' warning has just started to appear.

How can I tell if my car is set for variable, or fixed mileage servicing?

On my previous (55 plate) L&K I had variable servicing.  If my new car is set to fixed, is there any disadvantage to resetting it to 'variable', and (if not) how do I go about this?

Finally my new car (which I bought through a main dealer) comes with a 12 month warranty.  Is there any reason why I would need to get it serviced at a main dealers to maintain the warranty validity (or have I already blown that by getting a Mark 1 Shark re-map... :blush: )

Thanks

Neil

When was it last (supposedly) serviced? That's the best you can do for telling which plan it's on.

As to which you should use, variable is intended for people who do 15k a year plus on mostly long steady speed tags.

The service book shows main dealer services were carried out at

The last record says the next service is due at 39000 (and I've now done just over that).

My annual mileage is c. 18-20k.

Any more answers/insights would be much appreciated!

Neil

Seems your car has received services close to every 10K miles. If you are doing 18-20K/annum I would change to variable servicing.

I have just gone the other way as my annual mileage is dropping and is now close to 9K.

The car has been set to fixed service intervals all of it's life then (10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first).

Doing close to 20,000 miles a year you could really do to be on variable servicing (up to 20,000 miles or 2 years) as this will still ensure the car gets fresh oil at least once a year.

The only way to set the service computer from fixed to variable is via the dealer or using VCDS software.

If the car is a keeper then I would have it serviced now and ask the garage to reset the service interval to variable (longlife).

On a 12 plate I'm guessing that the standard 3 year warranty is about to expire? The map could be used an excuse not to honour any remaining warranty but only if it is discovered.

The only advantage of a main dealer service now is that they help towards any gestures of goodwill from Skoda's UK in the case of any significant out-of-warranty failures. A main dealer service history shows loyalty to the brand etc.

I appreciate it varies by region but my local main dealer will price match any local independent as long as they are using genuine parts.

This is good to show the maximum you should ever pay for a service...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

Note that you should never pay for the £259 major service unless you can be sure that you are getting the extra parts it includes (pollen, air and fuel filters). The dealers will happily charge you for a major service but only carry out a minor service due the extra filters *not being required until a certain time or mileage.

My local dealer is saying that in addition to the "Major service" recommended at 40K miles, Skoda also recommends (for DSG vehicles, which mine is) a gearbox filter and oil change, costing a whopping £188!

Does anyone know if this is the recommended maintenance regime for DSGs, and is £188K a realistic price?  (they did offer to knock 10% off after I'd picked myself up off the floor).

Thanks

Neil

The car has been set to fixed service intervals all of it's life then (10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first).

Doing close to 20,000 miles a year you could really do to be on variable servicing (up to 20,000 miles or 2 years) as this will still ensure the car gets fresh oil at least once a year.

The only way to set the service computer from fixed to variable is via the dealer or using VCDS software.

If the car is a keeper then I would have it serviced now and ask the garage to reset the service interval to variable (longlife).

On a 12 plate I'm guessing that the standard 3 year warranty is about to expire? The map could be used an excuse not to honour any remaining warranty but only if it is discovered.

The only advantage of a main dealer service now is that they help towards any gestures of goodwill from Skoda's UK in the case of any significant out-of-warranty failures. A main dealer service history shows loyalty to the brand etc.

I appreciate it varies by region but my local main dealer will price match any local independent as long as they are using genuine parts.

This is good to show the maximum you should ever pay for a service...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

Note that you should never pay for the £259 major service unless you can be sure that you are getting the extra parts it includes (pollen, air and fuel filters). The dealers will happily charge you for a major service but only carry out a minor service due the extra filters *not being required until a certain time or mileage.

I'm due a major service shortly , would you recommend a minor a pick or ask to pay for fuel filter and pollen . Confused and don't want to be ripped off but want my car servicing properly

My local dealer is saying that in addition to the "Major service" recommended at 40K miles, Skoda also recommends (for DSG vehicles, which mine is) a gearbox filter and oil change, costing a whopping £188!

Does anyone know if this is the recommended maintenance regime for DSGs, and is £188K a realistic price?  (they did offer to knock 10% off after I'd picked myself up off the floor).

Thanks

Neil

Yes, DSG oil and filter need changing every 40k miles. The oil is expensive and there are (I think) 7 litres of it. £190 is about right for Skoda. An Indy might do a little cheaper, but it's the costly oil that does it, price-wise.

I'm due a major service shortly , would you recommend a minor a pick or ask to pay for fuel filter and pollen . Confused and don't want to be ripped off but want my car servicing properly

To be sure we need to know:

Current mileage and age of the vRS.

Service history including mileage at each service.

If on variable (longlife) servicing I'd want everything doing. This includes:

1) Oil and oil filter (the life blood of the engine and turbo, you cannot change it too often).

2) Pollen filter.

3) Air filter (check service book as interval varies by engine but never required before 3 years / 60,000 miles).

4) Fuel filter (as above).

This is it, there really is nothing more!

You could have the brake fluid changed if required (on the cars third birthday then every 2 years thereafter) but not essential in my opinion (note: I appreciate views on this differ wildly).

If I were you I'd ring the dealer and ask for a total price for the following:

A minor service / oil and filter change (max price should be £139). Ask if the pollen filter is included (varies by dealer). Be cheeky ask for it to be done for the same price.

A fuel and air filter on top (should be approx £80-£100 depending on the chosen dealers labour rates).

They will likely ask for the current mileage as this will determine whether you need the air and fuel filters. If you are on variable servicing then I'd be having them done regardless.

Where people go wrong is when they want / need a major service and ask for one. The dealer happily charges £259 but only carries out a £139 minor service (oil and oil filter) because the other parts aren't required at the given age / mileage.

This is why if you ask for the minor service and the other filters on top you will know you are getting a full service and are still likely to pay less than the £259.

You'll need to check your service book to see what the recommended interval is for your car for the fuel and air filters.

Some would argue a fresh air, fuel and pollen filter is overkill every 10,000 miles. I might be inclined to agree but I prefer over-servicing rather than adhering to Skoda's extended service intervals, which in my opinion are slightly geared towards fleet / company car owners that look for the lowest possible running costs rather than long life.

Better still, the air, pollen and fuel filters are dead easy to change yourself, only a screwdriver is required and the parts can be bought online and delivered for less than £30.

I did my own here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/346425-oil-and-air-filter-change-skoda-superb-cr140-cffb/

My CR140 engine is different to your CR170 but not by much, most of the above still applies. It is far easier than it looks!

Yes, DSG oil and filter need changing every 40k miles. The oil is expensive and there are (I think) 7 litres of it. £190 is about right for Skoda. An Indy might do a little cheaper, but it's the costly oil that does it, price-wise.

Thank you Dunc.  That is reassuring.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am on Variable servicing which has been done by main dealer Skoda garage, comes in at approx 18months  (19000) on average. I am now out of warranty and asked local garage if they could do the service AND keep the schedule at Variable. They replied yes as its done on the dash - is that correct? I was under impression the fixed servicing is reset on the dash but Variable requires VW/Audi equipment?

It is a 1.4Tsi estate - as so impressed, still!!

Cheers

Nigel

If the car is being serviced at a main dealer they can set to either fixed or variable, your choice.

If it is being serviced at a non-franchised independent garage then they will need access to Ross-Tech software (VCDS) or similar.

If you self service (DIY) and have to reset the service computer using the button on the dash then you can only reset it to fixed.

It isn't possible to reset to variable using only the dash button.

I still to this day can't get away with the jump in price from a minor to major service more so when they don't replace your pollen or air filter.... why should you pay the full price when they've not fitted any but the next guy pays the same price and he has ... I'd be looking for the cost of both taken off the bill...

On my last car, a Citroen C5 diesel, my local garage changed the oil and filter every 10,000 miles for me and every 20,000 the fuel filter and at every service I'd fit myself a new air filter and every 20,000 a new pollen filter, they only cost a few pounds, and took for the two about 20 minutes to fit saving a fair bit on garage costs.

Edited by labman1001

I'd possibly disagree with this. If it's a keeper I'd stick to fixed 10k intervals for oil changes. We've got a car each and a van, all have the option of longlife but all get oil & filter done at 10k. The rest can be left to longer intervals, but I like fresh oil. It doesn't cost that much more in the long run.

If I had something I was only keeping for a year or two I'd worry less and leave it on variable.

The problem with sticking to 10K intervals is that those covering higher mileage can find themselves changing the oil three or more times a year.

Frequent oil changes are definitely good but more than one or two a year is a little overkill for me.

I guess I might feel differently if I'd got to 3 a year. I've done 7k miles since June so I'm looking at 2 a year at the moment.

Just put in an order for all the bits including all filters as it'll be the first time on this car - always interesting to see the state of the air filter.