New Toledo Style Advanced

The handling and ride on the diesel are markedly worse than the TSi - I think any kilos they can get off the front axle would be a great idea.

I test drove a Toledo TDi back to back with this heap:

DSC0000049_zpsnhjmzwca.jpg

and the heap had a smoother diesel engine and an equal ride - all for £16500 less :)

I didn't buy a TDi after that :)

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

The handling and ride on the diesel are markedly worse than the TSi - I think any kilos they can get off the front axle would be a great idea.

True, but in a car like this which is (in my view) designed to major on practicality over handling, it seems like an odd choice to shave a few centimetres off the boot depth in favour of weight distribution.  If they wanted to improve handling, I would have thought uprating the suspension and steering with components from elsewhere in the VAG range would have a markedly bigger difference and without any detriment to load lugging capability.

• Like 1

Derek not yet.I intend to raise the subject of the missing cornering foglights (although some on here seem to think that they can be dangerous as can be mistaken for a headlight flash) when the salesman phones saying he has received the missing Nav card.

I am slowly working my way through the handbook and have come across the bit about open windows closing automatically when you hold the KESSY closing sensors for a few seconds.Tried it and it does not work.Is it part of the auto lights/wipers package I wonder?

Where your tyres set to 43 PSI (I still think in fahrenheit!!) when your motor was delivered?What have you set them to now?

The wife is a bit apprehensive with the front parking sensors but I have proven that they all work are you happy with yours?

Sorry forgot to answer you regarding tyre pressure, mine are ask sitting on 35psi. I think I'll leave them at that.

I find the front sensors fine, it does take a few more seconds to come on, if you've not used reverse first. You can also press the button to activate them instantly.

I'm loving kessy more and more. It doesn't however, close the Windows. Don't know why not, as it has one touch to close the Windows at the switch.

Edited by derek666
  • Like 1

I particularly like the KESSY feature whereby you go to the boot pull the "S", open the hatch, and dump what ever it is in the boot safe in the knowledge that when you walk away the hatch is locked automatically.KESSY has the ultimate seal of approval as the wife likes it!!!

I test drove a Toledo TDi back to back with this heap:

DSC0000049_zpsnhjmzwca.jpg

and the heap had a smoother diesel engine and an equal ride - all for £16500 less :)

I didn't buy a TDi after that :)

Less of the Diesel bashing now you, as you know I have the Toledo Diesel and its still a fine car to drive, more planted than the Petrol :)

• Like 1

Lol.

NO! really - the 1991 vintage Mitsubishi 4D68 in that Malay tank is way smoother and quieter than a modern VW TDi.

Laughable I know but completely true.

Ok I'll take your word for it, try a drive in a "Modern" Nissan Qashqai and listen to its tractor diesel engine!

• Like 1

No thanks - All petrols at our house now:

dumped the second diesel (Fiat Multijet) this summer. - got £5 more for it than I got for the Proton as well (£380 v's £375) :)

Thinking back, the FIAT 1.9 is the only diesel car I've driven that was (for me) as bad as the VW 1.6.

My 1.4 Citroen, 1.7 Vauxhall, and 2.0 Mitsubishi were better than both on NVH.

Edited by camelspyyder

Just one tangential and no doubt silly thought.........

Two people looking at my new car have remarked that it seems smaller than the one before which was a Rapid.

Is this because  1.Dark coloured cars look smaller than light coloured ones.

2.Toledos look smaller than Rapids because of the cosmetic differences.

3.Or more sinisterly since Seat/Skoda have pinched room out of the boot by installing a battery there in the diesels have they also shaved off some 

size elsewhere hoping no one would notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Robbydazzler

Japanese diesels are always smoother than VAG. I had a Primera 2.0tdi and was very quiet and smooth. Cashcow engine is Renaults as well so complete crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a primera tdi, it was slow, poor on fuel but yeah might have a bit quieter - I'd take a vwag engine everyday of the week!

I had a primera tdi, it was slow, poor on fuel but yeah might have a bit quieter - I'd take a vwag engine everyday of the week!

Excuse me we had Primera Est a2.2 and well impressed by its perforfance MPG It was well ahead of its time 

like with a few cars some of the older models I feel we're better... My dad had an old primera 2.0gt and I had a 'new' (at that time, 2004) diesel which was awful compared to the other cars I had access to... I'd always avoid it cause it would cost me more to get home from work, would have much rather had a 1.9tdi VW!

Took a long time but eventually the wife went to her mothers and I got the hosepipe on all the door windows and can report that it seems Skoda/Seat have at last solved the water retention

problem in the doors.

Edited by Robbydazzler
  • Like 1

Washed the Toledo for first time yesterday using my dishwasher rinse aid method but I hated cleaning the alloys!!!They have almost as many spokes as the old wire wheels and require a great deal of effort and poking in crevices to get them gleaming.They do look great when sparkling so perhaps I am just lazy.Received the missing SAT NAV SD card from the dealer and the Sat Nav is a great improvement on the one in the Rapid.For instance it tells you the street name you are travelling along;it gives you the choice of 3 routes;and it allows you to specify city,street,number for your destination.When I arrived home it actually told me that my house was on the left!I havent tried the voice recognition yet.

Thanks to the knowledge which was donated to me in another thread I have saved all my CDs onto an SD card and can report that they sound great when played through the head unit.

Edited by Robbydazzler