Cost of fitting extras to non new car -( I want the touchscreen radio!)

Got without bluetooth as seams i got same system as you with Bluetooth in car already

Cool - fingers crossed your install will be as easy as mine. Was surprised and pleased how well everything (except Maxidot integration) just worked the moment it was plugged in.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Cool - fingers crossed your install will be as easy as mine. Was surprised and pleased how well everything (except Maxidot integration) just worked the moment it was plugged in.

Would the maxidot make much difference at all to the use

As Stormchaser said - has no impact on use, which is great as it means you can do the swap and fit the Amundsen, get on with using it and enjoying it, and sort out the VCDS later when you have time. You don't have to drop everything to get access to VCDS the moment you install.

That said, worth getting it done eventually, as having nav turn instructions on the Maxidot is definitely useful.

• Like 1

As Stormchaser said - has no impact on use, which is great as it means you can do the swap and fit the Amundsen, get on with using it and enjoying it, and sort out the VCDS later when you have time. You don't have to drop everything to get access to VCDS the moment you install.

That said, worth getting it done eventually, as having nav turn instructions on the Maxidot is definitely useful.

Thanks for the info and when want to get it sorted how do I go about this (thanks for the help) New to vcds

Like I said, having the maxidot coding lets you see multiple pages using both displays at once - Phone/Nav/Radio/Media all can be on maxidot whilst another function is on the Colour screen - it's really worth doing.

Edited by camelspyyder

A few more questions Chris:

I don't have the USB/MDI thing on my Swing unit, I only have a 3.5mm jack near the handbrake, accessible through the AUX option on the Swing.

I see that the Amundsen+ already has a 3.5mm jack and an SD card slot.

So if I make the HU switch I can also play MP3 through the SD card slot, and both the 3.5mm jacks? Or I have to choose between the two? Also, can I use the SD card together with the navigation or they are mutually exclusive?

Lastly, I have read somewhere that each HU has a unique code that has to be programmed to prevent theft or something, did you have to use something like that to install the new one? If I am to sell the old one, where can I find its code?

Hello

I don't have the USB/MDI thing on my Swing unit, I only have a 3.5mm jack near the handbrake, accessible through the AUX option on the Swing.

I see that the Amundsen+ already has a 3.5mm jack and an SD card slot.

So if I make the HU switch I can also play MP3 through the SD card slot, and both the 3.5mm jacks? Or I have to choose between the two? Also, can I use the SD card together with the navigation or they are mutually exclusive?

The two 3.5mm AUX in ports are independent of each other and you can use both of them. They show up on the Amundsen as AUX 1 and AUX 2. If I recall correctly, the one on the Amundsen is 1, and the one by the handbrake (or on the MDI if you had that) is 2.

Lastly, I have read somewhere that each HU has a unique code that has to be programmed to prevent theft or something, did you have to use something like that to install the new one? If I am to sell the old one, where can I find its code?

The Amundsen has a unique code, which you have to input after a loss of power. My Amundsen was supplied with a card with the serial number and unlock code printed on it. I keyed it in and all was well.

From what I can tell, the Swing does not require this? (I was not prompted for a code when I refitted it after testing the Amundsen). However, if it does need one, you should be able to obtain it from your dealer before removing the head unit.

• Like 1

Hello

The two 3.5mm AUX in ports are independent of each other and you can use both of them. They show up on the Amundsen as AUX 1 and AUX 2. If I recall correctly, the one on the Amundsen is 1, and the one by the handbrake (or on the MDI if you had that) is 2.

The Amundsen has a unique code, which you have to input after a loss of power. My Amundsen was supplied with a card with the serial number and unlock code printed on it. I keyed it in and all was well.

From what I can tell, the Swing does not require this? (I was not prompted for a code when I refitted it after testing the Amundsen). However, if it does need one, you should be able to obtain it from your dealer before removing the head unit.

Thanks a lot Chris.

I was looking into some Skoda documents that I have downloaded the other day and found the answer for a previous question of yours. Yes the radio antenna is amplified and in fact there are two antennas. I am copying from the document:

"Vehicles with a dual tuner-AM/FM receiver (Swing, Amundsen+) are equipped with the dual-antenna system.

The first rod antenna is installed in the rear area of the vehicle roof. The antenna rod is removable. The signal is

transmitted from the antenna to the AM/FM receiver via a coaxial cable, which also transmits the received radio

signal to the (12 V) active amplifier. The amplifier is located in the antenna base. The rear window heater functions

as a second antenna. The second antenna is used as a signal source for the second radio tuner."

Regarding the anti-theft mechanism, I will quote another document:

"The radio system is equipped with Convenience electronic antitheft

lock, which operates in combination with the dash panel

insert.

The radio systems are protected with an anti-theft code.

For radio systems mounted at the factory the safety code is only

entered in the respective vehicle when it is first put into service

The safety code does no longer have to be re-entered when subsequently

disconnecting and re-connecting the battery or when

removing and re-installing the radio system in the same vehicle.

If the radio system is installed in another vehicle or the dash panel

insert is replaced, the safety code must be entered again.

The radio systems in the vehicles are locked at the factory before

delivery to the dealers.

Before the vehicle is handed over to the customer, the anti-theft

code of the radio must be deactivated by entering a safety code.

The safety code can be read via the online connection with Vehicle

diagnostic tester (network connection).

The user must have a valid authorisation for the use of a programme

to determine the radio coding.

Note

♦ If an incorrect safety code is entered, it can be corrected immediately

at the next attempt. If an incorrect safety code is

entered once again, the radio is blocked for 1 hour.

♦ After one hour has elapsed, during which the radio as well as

the ignition must remain switched on (the time which has

elapsed since the lock was activated is shown in the display

of the radio), the procedure for deactivating the electronic antitheft

coding can be repeated (always two attempts, then

locked for one hour)."

Unfortunately my local dealer is not very helpful and I don't know if he will give me the code or if changing HU will affect my warranty. I guess I'll try.

SD slot is mainly for music. If you have a card in, it comes up as an option on the media page, as do aux1/ 2, MDI, CD, BT

SD slot can also be used for (damn expensive) nav system upgrades.

Edited by camelspyyder

All VAG stereo units have the security code feature. Once the unit is coded and recognised by your car then it's saved in the cars ecu and doesn't need the code entering again next time. If you remove it and fit it in a different car then you'll need the security code for that car.

• Like 1

SD slot is mainly for music. If you have a card in, it comes up as an option on the media page, as do aux1/ 2, MDI, CD, BT

SD slot can also be used for (damn expensive) nav system upgrades.

Correct.

On the older RNS310 the SD card slot was used to hold a card storing the actual live maps in use. The 315 has internal storage for the maps, freeing up the slot to be used for cards containing MP3s, firmware updates, as well as expensive new map updates. A much neater option.

When you press the Media button on the 315, you get a nice semi circular menu listing out all the media input options. If you have MDI fitted, the 315 picks this up straight off without any additional VCDS coding, just as it did with my car's Bluetooth module.

Thanks a lot Chris.

I was looking into some Skoda documents that I have downloaded the other day and found the answer for a previous question of yours. Yes the radio antenna is amplified and in fact there are two antennas. I am copying from the document:

"Vehicles with a dual tuner-AM/FM receiver (Swing, Amundsen+) are equipped with the dual-antenna system.

The first rod antenna is installed in the rear area of the vehicle roof. The antenna rod is removable. The signal is

transmitted from the antenna to the AM/FM receiver via a coaxial cable, which also transmits the received radio

signal to the (12 V) active amplifier. The amplifier is located in the antenna base. The rear window heater functions

as a second antenna. The second antenna is used as a signal source for the second radio tuner."

Thanks for this. When I did my test install, I saw there were two aerial wires coming into the double Fakra connector, but was unsure if these were just two feeds off the one roof aerial to spoof the diversity connection the radio was expecting. Good to know there are actually two aerials in the car. Had not realised one of the rear window element lines was an aerial rather than a heater.

FYI on the facelift Rapid, the roof aerial has been deleted and instead there are two window element aerials on the passenger side rear quarter light window.

• Like 2

No, mine turns off with the ignition. I think there is a menu option on the unit to enable or disable that. I'll check later and let you know.

Right, got mine fully fitted this morning. Very pleased with it.

Found a home for the GPS antenna. Placed it over on the passenger side of the car, inside the dash by the A pillar. There is a flat metal post that you can just go to (involved inserting the GPS antenna sideways into the gap, then turning it to lower it).

5e0a8358945999e841b1ff20bdd75148.jpg

ed536e2f931a981c28206aa1ae6a9084.jpg

dd35e10032c50c501d62e7e6a06b344b.jpg

Once it was in, I threaded the cable across to the head unit cavity, over the top of the glove box (being careful to avoid hinges, locks and the wiring for the glove box light).

2b24b6ef787b103d1389bada7e404077.jpg

Once the cable was in I snagged up the excess and placed it in the cavity by the end of the dash.

d284798967a38d397f7fb4d2408eed24.jpg

With that it was an extremely quick and simple process to reattach the aerial, quadlock and GPS cables to the new unit.

53f2171d9d6bb9fe890cc516801bb8ce.jpg

With the Amundsen in place, it was just a case of fitting the new facia surround that I picked up from my local dealer's parts counter last week. Be careful with this - it clips in a lot firmer than the facia of the Swing, and it has a lot of clips that seem fragile, so ease it in carefully and evenly.

2c91defa2946e8d1da2d25d23ab5994f.jpg

589dfbd797c9adcd46610ae1a49299bb.jpg

39f1fd2417f936a15445c7554cad0c35.jpg

As a result I have been able to remove the Garmin mount from my dashboard and the charging lead. Dash looks a lot tidier now.

I've said it before, but will say it again. The improvement to Bluetooth functionality is amazing.

• Like 1

I've been reading this post with interest but just wanted to double confirm something, also would be great as a sticky as it's clearly something a lot of people want to do.

If you have Swing HU, no MSFW with Bluetooth which is built into MFD and you fit either a Columbus or Amundsen:

1. Do these units have built-in Bluetooth?

2. If so can you turn it off? 

3. Does the new HU still communicate with the MFD Bluetooth? 
4. Can you control the Bluetooth via MFD and if so what can you control? Basic dialing, phonebook, BT Audio?

5. Any additional coding required? 

If you have MDI and AUX under the heating controls and you fit either a Columbus or Amundsen:

1. Do these functions still work via these units? 

2. Any additional coding required? 

Maxi Dot With Columbus or Amundsen:

1. What needs to be done? Just coding, or any additional hardware? 

From what I can tell it's a straight swap apart from DAB/GPS aerials. If everything else works then I'm sold :) 

Ok, let me try and work through these:

If you have Swing HU, no MSFW with Bluetooth which is built into MFD and you fit either a Columbus or Amundsen:

1. Do these units have built-in Bluetooth?

2. If so can you turn it off?

3. Does the new HU still communicate with the MFD Bluetooth?

4. Can you control the Bluetooth via MFD and if so what can you control? Basic dialing, phonebook, BT Audio?

5. Any additional coding required?

If you have a Swing, factory fitted Bluetooth and no MFSW - you need to source an Amundsen or Amundsen+ WITHOUT built-in Bluetooth. I believe that there are also Columbus units without built-in Bluetooth, but not 100% certain on that.

The units without built-in Bluetooth are intended to interface with the standalone Bluetooth module already fitted to your car, and will just work without any coding or fiddling needed.

If you have MDI and AUX under the heating controls and you fit either a Columbus or Amundsen:

1. Do these functions still work via these units?

2. Any additional coding required?

Yes, they still work and no coding or wiring changes are required.

Maxi Dot With Columbus or Amundsen:

1. What needs to be done? Just coding, or any additional hardware?

No additional hardware needed. You will need VCDS in order to enable the Navigation coding. This will add compass info to your maxidot display as well as turn by turn visual directions. All other maxidot functions are not affected by the head unit change, which is why you don't have to panic about having this small software change done straight away. Worth getting done eventually though.

From what I can tell it's a straight swap apart from DAB/GPS aerials. If everything else works then I'm sold :)

Correct. Straight swap except for adding the GPS aerial and (if you have a DAB model) a dab aerial. Everything else just works.

A couple of minor additions to the post from Chris on replacing the Swing HU with the Amundsen+ HU.

Removing the glovebox makes it easier to feed the GPS receiver cable and also allows the excess to be tidied up adjacent to the glovebox.  After removing the side trim panel to the dash (prised off, has four securing lugs) the glovebox is easily removed by unscrewing the 7 retaining screws.

4 inside the glove box

2myz3wy.jpg

2 under the glovebox

2qki7ib.jpg

2zhmw3t.jpg

1 to the side where the trim panel was removed from

15645sl.jpg

Edit: below pic shows screw position - albeit once cable already in place :o

2ecnjn7.jpg

When partially removed it gives plenty of access to run the GPS receiver cable (N.B. Disconnect glovebox light connection if want to fully remove the glovebox),

s5l5yo.jpg

for the cable to be clipped into wiring retainers on top of the glovebox unit

1051wyg.jpg

and also allows the excess cable to be neatly secured in the inside space between the glovebox unit and the dashboard mounting frame

50p6jp.jpg

that doesn't interfere with the glovebox opening and closing

15645sl.jpg

Thanks once again Chris for an excellent post.