Which hybrid turbo?

DubDub

Ok so wanting to get a hybrid turbo to replace the KKK unit that's on the car now, which is on 99k miles.

Looking for about 180bhp to start with to protect to clutch(under a year old) but would like to get 200bhp once that goes.

This one from xman looks good

GT17/49MFS £450 200bhp power potential with good spool

Has anyone had any experience with these turbos or have any others that have been used before?

does anyone have any recommend anywhere for custom mapping in the Berkshire South east area?

Thank for any help

I fitted a GT17/52 with exhaust and fmic and remapped to 220bhp

Sounds good to me, what torque did you get?(do you have a print out) 

Was this with the standard clutch and dual mass?

Which intercooler and exhaust did you go for?

sorry for loads of questions

Sounds good to me, what torque did you get?(do you have a print out)

Was this with the standard clutch and dual mass?

Which intercooler and exhaust did you go for?

sorry for loads of questions

I have a print out somewhere, but can't remember now, so would be guessing. Was good figures though.

Yeah standard clutch and dualmass flywheel, that was the idea to keep standard clutch and flywheel for drive ability day to day.

I fitted a THS intercooler and made my own pipe work. Exhaust was a piper decat system.

It's all in my build thread if you search my username or google hutchysrs50 project. (I've got about four project threads mind :D)

Yeah I don't want to spend massive amounts, but I don't mind spending money to prolong the life of the car (the Mrs loves the car) the turbo on the car has been making a whine for awhile now so just wanting to change it before it takes the engine out!

Still thinking hybrid but I'm open to everyone opinion.

Get someone who's running a GTB to take you for a spin, it's a no-brainer once you've done that. A GTB1756vk doesn't need to cost silly money, mine was only 500 from xman. Most hybrids cost at least that and need the same upgrade parts to go with it anyway (i.e fmic, clutch, decat and a new map).

I don't mean to throw something else into the party here, but...  if you're now seriously considering a GTB1756vk, I think you'd be better off spending another £100 and buying a 2260 instead.

Much more scope and drives fantastic!! Plus it's probably better on your clutch than a 1756 due to the way it comes on boost! I was running 2.5bar with a standard clutch for a year and it was fine no matter how I drove it - I've only replaced it because I'm taking the box off.

It's all a matter of perspective I suppose...  if you really want a very cheap replacement then just buy the far cheaper 17/52 hybrid. 

Airtec is a fantastic piece of kit for a very reasonable price. Requires some chopping of the front surround and crash bar, but all the Seat Sport type coolers do.

As for mapping, use John (Faboka) for whatever you decide to do. He's got a LOT of experience mapping GTB's now. Plus a smashing fella to boot!

• Like 1

four grand? ok

Well what's the GTB's at the minute, £700 or somthing?

Intercoolers, exhaust, injectors, clutch, flywheels, diffs, manifolds, map sensor camshafts blaa blaa

I feel so many people are suckerd into this GTB'ness. I have done plenty of both now and going GTB isn't worth the hassle over a hybrid unless your willing to spend so much more.

Why spend £700 on a GTB, then need a new downpipe or someone to cut and weld a flange to fit it, then have to replace extras like the turbo intake pipe, oil feed and return making brackets all to remap it to around 220bhp

When you can spend £450? And bolt on a hybrid with no messing about.

• Like 1

Well what's the GTB's at the minute, £700 or somthing?

Intercoolers, exhaust, injectors, clutch, flywheels, diffs, manifolds, map sensor camshafts blaa blaa

I feel so many people are suckerd into this GTB'ness. I have done plenty of both now and going GTB isn't worth the hassle over a hybrid unless your willing to spend so much more.

Why spend £700 on a GTB, then need a new downpipe or someone to cut and weld a flange to fit it, then have to replace extras like the turbo intake pipe, oil feed and return making brackets all to remap it to around 220bhp

When you can spend £450? And bolt on a hybrid with no messing about.

you don't need an exhaust, diff, manifold, MAP sensor, cam, TIP, etc...etc...clutch and intercooler are as necessary as they would be for a hybrid turbo. someone has already said they got a GTB1756VK from xman for £500 so why would you buy a (potentially questionable) hybrid turbo for £50 less than an off the shelf, non-****ed about with turbo? if you wanted to you could get a GTB fitted and mapped for about half of your estimate, and that's at 'over-priced' Darkside prices

• Like 2

I've been down the PD150 hybrid route in the past and then went for 2260 later.

If you're going down the hybrid route for a reliable 220bhp then you'll have to be spending on a decent intercooler and exhaust anyway. If you're putting a new turbo on it then you'd be silly not to replace the feed pipe at the same time!

With my 2260 on a cast manifold, the standard TIP fitted (not ideally but it did!), the standard return pipe needed to be split up, cut down slightly and a small piece of rubber hose put in. No uprated injector nozzles were used at this stage. The exhaust I had custom made granted, but welding a new flange onto your downpipe isn't a biggy really. The one thing I'll concede that you do really need is a 4 bar map sensor which is another 40 quid.

When I got the car back from having its custom exhaust on, I had a 2 bar 'base map' on the car off John. The car was completely transformed from the PD150 hybrid setup (which pulled 219bhp on a reliable low reading rolling road). The car was far far quicker even with just the base map on, and I spent all the journey home giggling like a little school kid :D

In my opinion the way the 2260 delivers the power at the top makes the car hugely more enjoyable to drive than a hybrid. In fact, I got so bored of the hybrid setup that I started putting the car back to standard to sell it. Best thing I ever did was put the 2260 on it!

So price wise... about £850 for the turbo with braided oil feed, another £40 for map sensor, best fit some PD150 head bolts £30, gaskets and service parts £60, Airtec cooler £500, exhaust changes let's say £50 tops for someone to weld the new flange on, oil return hose £5. So really it isn't much more than a hybrid setup considering you'd need the Airtec and all the gaskets/oil feed/service parts anyway...

You also don't need a camshaft, uprated nozzles or a diff to enjoy a 2260. Even if it was just run at 2 bar, it will be far more drivable than a hybrid equivalent. Yes, those components would make it much more usable, but a 'necessity'... no!

• Like 1

I think people forget everyone that has a 130bhp Fabia and wants abit extra power doesn't need a GTB.

They can make there own mind up and buy whichever turbo they want.

Seems to be abit of contradiction going on as far as saying get a GTB and don't do other upgrades over buying a different turbo.

Is £50 really the only price difference between a GTB and hybrid? For a bare turbo maybe but I'd imagine that will then be plus the things I've already said, oil feed, oil return, boost pipes, TIP, brackets, exhaust flange/ downpipe.

I'm sure you "could" get a GTB fitted for half my estimate.... And get the same figures as the hybrid.

Please don't get me wrong either :D

GTB's are great if your wanting to have potential for future upgrades and they are very reliable!

I guess I'm not saying don't buy a GTB, more... Think about your power targets. If your happy at around 220bhp then a quick bolt on might be your answer.

Anything over that then a GTB will be needed IMO.

• Like 1