After 14 years of waiting, the Octavia vRS 4x4 is available!

ColinD

And probably also with SCR AdBlue,

VW board decision dated 10.13.2015: "Reorientation of the diesel strategy. It was decided to switch over to installing only diesel drives with SCR and AdBlue technology in Europe and North America as soon as possible. Diesel vehicles will only be equipped with exhaust emissions systems that use the best environmental technology."

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/info_center/en/news/2015/10/VW_Effizienz.html

More and more installations in TDI engines versus TSI.

A vRS with the 2.0 TSI 280 engine and 4x4 DSG would have been perfect!

But they wouldn't want to step on the Golf R's sales would they!?

It's all about the overall VAG sales and not the sales of each individual brand. It's always been the same with VW getting all the good engine and drivetrain combos and the lower brands missing out.

I still think they should have done a Superb 3.0 TDI. Would have sold like hot cakes compared to the V6 petrol.

Phil

• Like 1

Hmmm, this would make a very nice car indeed, though I suspect my choice of options would push it past £30k.

agreed. I'd have chosen the 4x4 if it had been available when I ordered in April but on identical spec it would have been a shade below 31k.

Still incredibly good value if you consider the comparable A4 avant will be well over 40 grand.

VRS 4x4 for me in 3 years time (maybe)

VRS 230,they're having a laugh aren't they? A pathetic increase of 10ps,which you would be hard pressed to even notice. Not to mention a two grand increase in price for the priviledge.  :|

I was thinking exactly the same thing. You could get it chipped for a tenth of the price and have a much more notable performance increase...I'm really not sure what their idea was there.

VRS 230,they're having a laugh aren't they? A pathetic increase of 10ps,which you would be hard pressed to even notice. Not to mention a two grand increase in price for the priviledge.  :|

Ignoring the extra 10ps you do get the trick differential, a black pack with "lovely" 19 inch wheels, electric front seats with memory for the driver, very important for us 'cos

SWMBO is about 6" shorter & it would be her car.............. The extra cash does buy some toys at a reasonable premium.

We probably won't buy one 'cos we can't cope with the Extreme wheels, but I'm sure that most potential purchasers won't agree with me......

DC 

This is the car I have always wanted .... had three vRS 170TDi's in the past and loved them.  Then wanted a 4x4 so went Yeti 170 before an awful Tiguan 177 and now a wonderful Volvo XC60 D5.  My heart remains a vRS owner.  Will be very interested when time comes to change ... if it is heavy enough for my caravan that is.  My previous VRs's towed well but that was with a lighter 'van.

Ah, that Volvo D5 is a lovely lump of an oil-burner. With Geartronic it is a match made in thingy.

Just checked & VRS 4x4 pricing is up on Skoda Ireland's web site at €38,795 for the hatch and €39,795 for the combi. Link here (PDF). Oddly, road tax €280 on the estate and €270on the hatch (based on CO2) so they must have different CO2 figures or it's a typo in the list. I'd need a lottery win to buy one :(

I had a test drive of the Superb 150 4x4 and the 190 DSG Estate.  But said I wish it was a VRS 4x4 Hatch as I like the VRS Styling and the lord answered my prayers.

looking forward for mine to be made and delivered.  Soon as I saw the car I went to Pullmans in Durham and ordered one.  Trading in my Octy VRS 12 Plate for it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
Have you got technical data of the Octavia RS TDI 4x4, such as acceleration, dynamics. Basic specifications show that will be more similar to the Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 184 ps than O3 RS. Is heavier by 85 kg from a version with front-drive and has the same power so I'm not sure whether it actually worth buying O3 RS TDI 4x4 than the front-drive. It seems to me that the O3 TDI RS front-drive can be more dynamic. What do you think? You've already seen some tests / reviews?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a test drive of the Superb 150 4x4 and the 190 DSG Estate.  But said I wish it was a VRS 4x4 Hatch as I like the VRS Styling and the lord answered my prayers.

looking forward for mine to be made and delivered.  Soon as I saw the car I went to Pullmans in Durham and ordered one.  Trading in my Octy VRS 12 Plate for it.

Nice one!! Just ordered mine, trading in a 12 plate Golf R.  Some may say I'm mad, but I love the VRS, had 2 in the past, but was fed up with spinning the front wheels in the wet.  Now I'll get traction, decent enough power and twice the mpg; sorted.

Had word last week my new Octy vrs 4x4 hatch is built waiting for a ship to transport it from Emden North Germany to Port of Tyne Newcastle. My wredestine winter 225\40\18 and my private number plate are bought ready to fit. Plates are a Nice crimbo prezzie from the long haired general. Photos will follow when delivered

Edited by Davewhitfield

Just ordered mine to replace my 61 plate DSG hatch. Managed to get massive discounts due to the emissions scandal plus when I signed, they gave me an extra grand off as a loyalty gesture. Ordered the Estate with KESSY and the Black Design Plus pack (couldn't resist the 19" wheels). Won't be delivered till March thou!

Had the same problem as most people had with the loss of traction in the wet in my current car so the 4x4 seemed a logical move (sound like Spock!!!). Use my car as a response car so will benefit a lot from better traction. It was strange to be told that the new car may have the so called defeat device fitted despite it not being built yet! VAG are obviously covering their back sides still.

Being a Euro 6 Engine maybe it has Co2 / MPG Irregularities and needs the VED Band changed if it is part of the Critical List.

Did the Dealership Employee mention that.?

The dealer did highlight this as. With the he amount of discount I got, I am not overly worried at the possible tax band change. What will be will be.

It will be what it is right enough.

& the VWG will be paying for changes if any to cars Registered already and Lease Contracts and Tax Liabilities will be sorted out come time.

They are only cars, the Owners / Drivers need to pay for what Emissions are emitted after all,

it is just that the VWG had that being cheated.

• 1 month later...

I really dont get why the 4x4 hatch is not offered in the UK, as it seems that there is quite some interest in them. In Bulgaria we have the 1.8TSI  , the 1.6Tdi  and the 2.0 TDI (both the 110 and 135 KW) with 4x4.

There might be some sense in the decision, because we do get a lot of snow, but heavy rain is still problematic.

Also you still get the Vrs 4x4 which gets pretty much the same acceleration as the the normal Octy, but if you dislike the boyish look you are kind of stuck with it.

Having long since coveted the vrs, but looked away due to lack of four driven wheels, this is long overdue.

In fact, I am almost sad I didn't wait it out, having just purchased the equivalent Leon X-Perience. Same engine, same brakes, xds+, same dsg gearbox and mpg etc.

However it is 7.1seconds to 62, and has the adaptive dampers from the golf r, and is also a stealth car

• Administrators

Who can trust figures ;) I'd put it down to a bit more metal, I think it's slightly bigger, so more internals too... I've not looked at the spec sheet for the leon though.

I reckon real world figures would be pretty similar, maybe the test car had Bakelite tyre compounds on.

Having not seen or driven this 4x4, I wonder if the adaptive dampers might be a big +. I say this from trying the slightly lesser system in the superb, which changed it's ride characteristics.  I wonder if I can convince a PR team to lend... 

That said the octavia has the edge inside, and a better dealer network, but why is the VRS half a second slower?

The weight of the normal 4x4 DSG 135KW Hatch is 1463kg(3225lbs),  the equivalent DSG weights 1550(3417lbs), there also might be some differences in gear ratios, but I think that is highly unlikely. For some reason I seem to remember that there was a difference in peak RPM, I will check the manual again later on.