Dilemma with choosing spec on new VAG car

mikerajjers

Hi,

I've never ordered a new car from the factory before so this time I'm spoilt for choice.  Usually we (family) took what was on display.

I've got a few dilemmas.  Do I go for DSG with flappy paddles or manual?  I have always had manuals and never found it tedious changing gear, even when in town and traffic.  In fact I've always enjoyed it.  I've experienced DSG on my dad's Audi and I've hated it as I missed changing gear and feeling in control.  No brainer it seems, right?  I am now seriously thinking about DSG because the adaptive cruise and city brake works best with it, but do I really need these? I've never missed not having adaptive cruise, but now that its an option, will i want to use it? :)

Needless to say, without DSG and adaptive cruise, the car will cost 2500EUR less...which is a lot of money.

As I love driving and am getting a driver's car for fun and work, I am very inclined to get a manual.  Car in question is a Cupra 290.

Any comments or opinions?

It sounds like you prefer manual so go with that. You are only thinking of DEG as it works best with city brake and adaptive cruise. I have a new Octavia and have come away from DSG my last VRS was DSG and I didnt like it. I would stick to manual if I were you. Your choice though good luck.

Considering the money you are about to spend you really need to drive both, a manual and a DSG.

I too prefer manuals but have driven DSG's and they are very good.

Another reason for choosing manual over DSG for me is that I cover high motorway mileage and run cars until they die. A failing DSG box has every chance of bringing forward the cars economic repair cut-off given their complexity and potential money absorbing capabilities!

Might be an idea to drive what you're going to buy first

I have driven a manual Cupra 280 and loved it.  Unfortunately I can't get hold of a demo DSG Cupra but the dealer has the Len Xperience with a DSG box so I will give that a go on Wednesday.

Just wanted to see what experience other people have had

My wife has recently ordered her new tdi Passat estate with DSG and adaptive cruise/city braking etc after her long term demonstrator came equipped with both options. She covered just under a thousand miles in 4 days on business and to my relief arrived back home fully convinced that this was the best option for her (having never driven anything but manual cars with standard cruise control). The whole exercise of trying something a little different really paid off,The Octavia's replacement arrives mid November.

I've always had a manual but wanting a VRS I had no choice but to have a DSG box and I wouldn't go back to be honest, it's so much easier.

A 290 PS petrol with a 6 speed DSG will always be in the right gear for the best economy and can be in any

gear you want for performance when you choose, other than if it thinks you are being very silly with the one you select.  It will ignore you to save damage.

Be sure to try a drive in one with DSG and just see how good that is.

I am also thinking about the Octavia 230 RS which works out considerably less than the Cupra 290 I want over here in Slovakia...and looks very good.  It doesn't come with the Brembo brake option, but I would probably fit that later and get a remap.

Seems like you have answered your own questions really.

That said, having a DSG myself I would not want to be without it. But as you "hate it"..................................

I've driven the 280 in DSG form three times now and thought it was, overall, a superb hot hatch. The last one I drove however was the manual version and it really did make me feel like I was even more involved with what was going on - it peels back another layer of the experience, simply making it that little bit more fun and exciting. You need to weight up whether the gadgets or the manual interactivity are more important to you.

I have used dsg boxes since 2007, covering nearly 90,000 miles private mileage. Personally would not have anything else. I use them in manual mode most of the time (do not use paddles-fingers too short).

Have driven 3 Leon Cupra`s - 1 x manual + 2 x dsg. + Golf R manual + Golf GTD dsg + Audi A3 sportback 150 COD dsg. Not tried an Octavia VRS, as too long for my garage without making space revisions. It is of course down to individual choice.

Was planning to change my car next year, after the facelifts are released. I would rather see what is on offer, rather than possibly miss out on something better than currently available.

After the VAG fiasco do not know what to do. My Octavia is affected and my confidence in VAG. Px price comparison sites now indicate a much larger monthly depreciation of my car.  With the announcement of the VAG CEO that software / hardware revisions would commence from January 2016 and be completed by the end on 2016, may be time to change brand of vehicle.

Test drive in a Toyota Hybrid tomorrow. Toyota just as guilty as VW regarding dishonesty, but think diesel days will be numbered and now only driving 5-6,000 miles a year.