Coding High Beam Assist with Lane Control camera (but Halogens!)

mberger

xpower (who originally posted the coding process for adding HBA) tried to add it to my MY16 Scout, sadly without total success. There seems to be a different procedure involved for a car with halogen rather than xenon lights. Is there a member out there with HBA, halogens and access to VCDS who would be willing to let me have a scan of their vehicle so I can try to find the differences?

Andyvee knows someone and has already very kindly offered to try to get a scan when he can. But I have no intention of nagging him (I'm sure you will read this, Andy!!) so thought I'd cast the net wider.

It may not be of much use but I retrofitted HBA to my MY12 Octavia with halogens. The original and a recent autoscan can be found in this thread under the first spoiler section: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/364667-my12-elegance-work-log-with-part-numbers-and-coding/

Might be worth adding your autoscan and telling us exactly what the problem you're having is.

edit: just seen you also have lane assist, then I doubt my scan will help out much :)

Yes, I have lane assist. I should have made it more obvious by referring to it in the OP and not accidentally calling it lane control in the thread title!! Thanks for trying to help though, I'll take a look anyway.

It may not be of much use but I retrofitted HBA to my MY12 Octavia with halogens. The original and a recent autoscan can be found in this thread under the first spoiler section: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/364667-my12-elegance-work-log-with-part-numbers-and-coding/

Might be worth adding your autoscan and telling us exactly what the problem you're having is.

edit: just seen you also have lane assist, then I doubt my scan will help out much :)

Won't be much help as that is an A5 platform, not MQB. The modules and method of coding are very different.

Which bit couldn't @xpower code in? - at a guess BCM byte 2? - Try manually entering hex 19 as the value for Byte 2.

If that works, grab me a screenshot and I will add it to the thread.

Which bit couldn't @xpower code in? - at a guess BCM byte 2? - Try manually entering hex 19 as the value for Byte 2.

Andy - yes, that's where the problems occurred. Since it'll be a while before we get a chance to try again, I thought I would try and teach myself something be working out your reason for suggesting hex 19. I have 40 years of hex and binary experience but 40 minutes with VCDS, so let me know if this is nonsense...

For reference here is the screenshot of BCM from xpower's original thread (not my car!)

hba1.jpg

The three choices available on the drop-down menu for bit 0-2 are

xxxxxx00 Halogen w/o HBA

xxxxxx10 bi-xenon w/o HBA

xxxxxx11 bi-xenon with HBA

The current/original value for byte 2 on my car is hex 08, 00001000. Not auto, HTDD, halogen w/o HBA. I don't know what HTDD is, but otherwise that is correct.

Hex 19 is binary 00011001. Auto, HTDD, bi-xenon with HBA, unknown option.

I'm guessing you assumed my car was auto, so if we change that bit back to 0 we get 00001001. After trying all the drop-down options, xpower coded that one manually. This gave a tickable HBA menu but produced an error message when high beam was enabled. So yes, we tried that (unless I am missing the point with the auto/manual bit.)

I'm wondering, as the drop-down menu covers bits 0-2, if it mght be worth trying the other four options manually? ie 100,101,110 and 111?

We definitely tried hex 09. Everything was OK until the high beam was switched on, then 'HBA error' appeared in the Maxidot. I wonder why that option doesn't appear in the drop-down menu? Back to the drawing board...

In which case one of the other codings hadn't taken properly - I know it sounds daft, but the light switch was in the off position before you did the coding changes and you did turn the ignition off and back on again before turning the light switch to auto and trying the high beam?

In which case one of the other codings hadn't taken properly - I know it sounds daft, but the light switch was in the off position before you did the coding changes and you did turn the ignition off and back on again before turning the light switch to auto and trying the high beam?

I can't say yes to any of that with certainty - maybe we should have another try.

I know it sounds daft, but the light switch was in the off position before you did the coding changes and you did turn the ignition off and back on again before turning the light switch to auto and trying the high beam?

Success with bit 0-2 set to 001 and being careful with the above!
  • Like 1

Did you get a screenshot? I could do with updating the sticky for Halogen cars now the Scout is out.

Ah, no, sorry. xpower did mention that there were some subtle differences in the adaptation charts between my car and the stickied one (his VRS) so I should have thought of that. I'll ask him if we can get some when we get a chance.