Rapid Spaceback stereo switch between 2 cars

Morning all. Really after some quick help as to what I need to do. Situation is that both I and my brother have a Rapid Spaceback, he has the "Amundsden" unit fitted, mine has the "Swing" stereo.

He is about to part ex his car and has told me that we can switch stereos. The dealer who is part ex-ing is happy with this providing that my brother's Spaceback goes in at the end of the week with a fully working "Swing" unit.

I appreciate that the bluetooth modules are separate to the stereo head units and am assuming that this won't be a stumbling block. Both cars have Bluetooth.

Both cars have rear parking sensors. His has climate control, mine is manual air con. Any issues with these?

Last night, we quickly removed each head unit from the 2 cars and "swapped" to be greeted with the expected "SAFE MODE" messages and the requirement for the radio codes to be input for each unit. Neither I or my brother remember ever being given our respective codes.

Having read through numerous posts, am I correct in thinking that all we need to do is to phone our respective Skoda dealers and pay for release of the radio code information?

When we input the codes into each car, will either or both head units then work without VCDS coding?

Will the 2 cars behave differently, i.e. if my brother's car with the new Swing unit works fine but I need to VCDS code my car which will have the Amundsden, then that's OK because I will have time on my side. However, he won't because he is part ex-ing at the end of the week.

Any help greatly appreciated. I only have a few days to sort this and it would be a real shame if I am unable to end up with the Amundsden unit in my car (which I intend keeping for quite some time).

I will probably also post this question into the ICE section in case it prompts replies from non-Spaceback owners.

- i had swing in my car before and rear parking sensor worked then and now as i have switched the hu with vw rns315 (it is the same as amundsen+)

- climate control does not matter as the CAN does not provide info for hu to show

- radio codes are available at the dealers...you'll need to tell them vin number and serial of the hu(serial # is available if you read it with vcds)..or just drive to car to them, so they can connect it to the computer

- swing could work without vcds coding, but it could show a few errors..eg if the speaker number is different in both cars (4 vs 6), etc

I've invited the OP to call me, as I'm tied up today so no time for a detailed post.

But, in short:

1) should work fine.

2) you'll need the security codes for both radios in order to unlock them after he swap.

3) you'll need to buy and fit a GPS antenna in the car you move the Amundsen into. These can be bought for less than a tenner online. See my recent fitting post for info on where to put it (reception is still really good where I positioned mine)

4) you'll need to deactivate the "navigation" Maxidot setting on the car you remove the Amundsen from. It will through up an error otherwise. You'll need VCDS to do this.

5) not essential, but worth enabling the "navigation" Maxidot setting on the car you move the Amundsen into. This will enable compass and turn-by-turn display on the Maxidot display between the dials

6) in the car you are removing the Amundsen from, does the climate control have a display of some kind? If so that is fine, if not (in which case it relies on the Amundsen screen), you will have a problem as the Swing will not replicate climate control info as far as I know.

7) putting the Amundsen into a car with manual aircon is fine, no issues.

8) Bluetooth, parking sensors will just work as normal, displays will work - no coding needed.

Speaking to the OP tomorrow so will go through in detail then.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

• Like 1

My sincere thanks to Chris, not only for the comprehensive reply above but also for taking time to speak to me on the phone earlier today. As things stand, both cars are now booked in with a local dealer for the respective "radio" codes to be read with diagnostic equipment. I asked several dealers and Skoda Uk if the radio codes could be provided if I supplied VIn and serial numbers but all told me that this was not possible. Will keep this post updated and PM Chris when the swap is complete - assuming we get that far!

• Like 1

I asked several dealers and Skoda Uk if the radio codes could be provided if I supplied VIn and serial numbers but all told me that this was not possible.

it is possible in Slovenia... mtl can confirm it...at least for VW cars...i do not know why Skoda could be different (it is the sam VAG group, same equipment, same procedures, same ecu/bcm units, etc) ;) Maybe UK dealers are just cautious..or ignorant?

it is possible in Slovenia... mtl can confirm it...at least for VW cars...i do not know why Skoda could be different (it is the sam VAG group, same equipment, same procedures, same ecu/bcm units, etc) ;) Maybe UK dealers are just cautious..or ignorant?

I've supplied the OP with links to traders on eBay who will decode a VAG radio code for under a tenner.

Unfortunately, UK dealers just won't do this remotely. By forcing you to come in and have your car hooked up to the diagnostics machine, it ensures they can charge you at least 30mins labour (the usual minimum charge for any diagnostics hook up) - about £65-80 usually. It also provides an option (if they can be bothered) to check if the radio is stolen. But it is mainly about the minimum diagnostics charge.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

I agree - they after all, work there for money ;)

And i've been with my fathers car at the dealers for the radio code (vw golf+ MK6) - before i talked to mtl, that is possible to get the code otherwise..they charged me 12€

Edited by dukedl

have PMd chris again as we now seem to have an issue with the bluetooth module on one of the cars. I had no idea the head unit switch would prove to be so difficult to achieve!

Sadly, the OP has discovered that the donor car the Amundsen is coming from does not have a standalone Bluetooth module (it is built in to the Amundsen). Removing the Amundsen and replacing with the other car's Swing will break Bluetooth capability in the donor car (potentially affecting the trade in).

Unless the OP tries to transplant a Bluetooth module to the donor car as well (difficult to do in the limited time he has to work in), he won't have two fully-working installs. The receiving car will be OK, but the donor will have a working radio and no BT hands free.

I've advised abandoning the swap and instead just buying an Amundsen (minus Bluetooth) for his own car.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Problem started when you asked the dealer if it would be okay to swap out the stereo. Should've just swapped them, got the codes off an Ebay seller, and traded the car. Dealer would have no idea there should've been an Amundsen in there, or wouldn't care.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your comments - especially Chris Green who has spent considerable time helping me via PM and phone. In view of the bluetooth issue, we've brought things to a halt and given up on the proposed switch of head units. I may now look to source an Amundsden from elsewhere or just continue using my Swing unit.

Just a brief update, which I have also posted on the ICE forum.

Having decided to give up on the switch of head units because of the bluetooth issue, the dealer part exing my brother's Rapid agreed to take the car with the "Swing" unit installed but no bluetooth.

I am now the very happy owner of an Amundsden unit and am presently working out what VCDS coding changes are needed. Initially, though, I do think that the sound quality is a significant improvement over my previous unit.

My sincere thanks once again to all who responded and particularly, Chris Green. Without his help, this switch simply wouldn't have happened.

• Like 1

Yeah sound is a massive improvement from the swing .. getting my vcds done tomoz can't wait ....

Do please report back (with some pics). Not had time to get mine sorted yet - just been an endless cycle of work-sleep at the moment.

Yeah sound is a massive improvement from the swing .. getting my vcds done tomoz can't wait ....

Do please report back (with some pics). Not had time to get mine sorted yet - just been an endless cycle of work-sleep at the moment.