Vrs New Brakes

Good morning Ladies and Gents,

I've just had two new tyres put on the front of my Fabia VRS and the mechanic said I'm going to need new discs and pads. Just wondering what the general consensus is on what are the best ones to put on. He's trying to charge £400 for supplying and fitting which I think is a joke, I actually laughed when he quoted me.

Regards

James

Hello mate. Most people upgrade to the 312mm brake set up. But if not normal pigrid discs are good and a decent set of pads from fredro .. (sp). Is it just the front discs and pads thar need doing. It's an easy job to do your self. I do all my brakes. But I wouldn't pay more than £150 for the work myself.

I happen to ha e a set of 312 capers and carriers for sale witch are a bolt on job. If your interested. You'll need disc and pads though which can be bought from eurocarparts.

Just noticed your in croydon, that's where i am too lol

Iirc I paid around £60 a pair for my 288mm Brembo discs (GSF with Briskoda discount code) and standard pads can be had for £30-40 (Brembo/Pagid).

I'd get the fluid done at the same time so £10-20 for that depending on how much you want to flush through.

With fluid change you'd probably be looking at £100 labor from an indi.

Yer it's just the front pads and discs that I know of! It's due a service and not at the end of the month so wanted to get the brakes done before that! How much you selling them for? I've never tried doing it myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-VRS-1-9-TDi-2-0-2000-2007-FRONT-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS-AND-PADS-SET-NEW-/300422660903?fits=Model%3AFabia%7CCars+Type%3A1.9+TDI+RS&hash=item45f2960327

Just an example the on E-Bay..

As above member states it's a DIY job, backs will need a rewind caliper tool around £14.00 c/o E-Bay..

Changing the discs and pads isn't too hard a job if you know a bit about working on cars. It takes me longer to get the car jacked up and the tools in the garage than to do the job itself.

You need to take the caliper carrier off on the fronts to fit the discs but the rears can be removed (just) without removing the carriers, although you will need the caliper rewind tool to screw back the rear pistons.

I've had the front discs off on my car several times as I'm getting judder when braking after I fitted new Pagid discs. I'm thinking the judder is due to runout/variable friction on the front discs after checking the mating faces and refitting. Looking at another set of new discs as the judder is driving me crazy.

Anyone else had judder issues on the fronts after checking everything is OK? I'm thinking that there may be some suspension bush wear causing it but I've had the console bushes replaced fairly recently and there doesn't appear to be any free play in anything on the suspension.

Go for the 312mm setup. I got miine from a seller on ebay, the whole set was £250 which I admit isn't the cheapest around but the calipers and mounts were painted red and refurbished with a warrenty. The discs and pads were all new as well. Fitting was easy but the OEM lines are a little snug so becareful. :)

I've had the front discs off on my car several times as I'm getting judder when braking after I fitted new Pagid discs. I'm thinking the judder is due to runout/variable friction on the front discs after checking the mating faces and refitting. Looking at another set of new discs as the judder is driving me crazy.

Anyone else had judder issues on the fronts after checking everything is OK? I'm thinking that there may be some suspension bush wear causing it but I've had the console bushes replaced fairly recently and there doesn't appear to be any free play in anything on the suspension.

Yes u had the same when I changed mine, initially I thought I had warped the disks but after a little while it settled down. I did change the pads and disks at the same time though

Thanks for all your help guys! Really appreciate it

Obviously, doing the 312 upgrade results in you having a modified car. Before pulingthe trigger on that, it would be best to talk with your insurance company.

• 2 weeks later...