Front Suspension

I've had a horrible grinding noise from the from drivers side suspension for over a year, since I bought the car from Skoda at 2 years old.

9 trips to the dealer and they say they can't find the problem. It's had new ball joints, bushes and strut bearings re-greased. They are supposedly getting a tech from Milton Keynes to come and have a look! But as i am rejecting the vehicle to the finance company, the dealer suddenly claim the problem is wear and tear - funny that, given you dont even know what the poblem is! Needless to say its tarnished my experience of a lovley Superb L&K!

The grinding only happens when the front suspension moves up and down whislt braking or accelerating at the same time. This is as if the lateral forces of braking or accelerating are having an effect on the suspension.

Any ideas anyone?

I am having my own expert inspection on the 23rd but in the mean time I have had a look and to me, an untrained eye, it looks like the left and right shocks should be left handed and right handed, due to the position of the drop-link' mount, but both shocks on my car are identical.

These pictures show that the drop-link' mount appears to be backwards on one side meaning that the drop-link' is attached in a different place on each side. The angle of the drivers side drop-link' is quite a bit more acute than the passenger side ....

Any Skoda mechanics who can comment??

No accidents I'm aware of. Spoke with previous owner who used it for 30k of motorway driving. I have had paint thickness checked at front end too and apparently it's original Skoda thickness so I guess no accidents.

I agree with you Andy - it looks like the uprights are the same i.e. Not left and right handed. Great photos by the way :)

It would explain the noise you outline if the whole strut is being pulled/pushed off centre with brake and acceleration forces (if that makes sense).

I'm no expert but something quite simple looks amiss there which hopefully is a good thing.

I hope you get it sorted....

Dave

Thanks guys for your input.

I really hope its a simple fix and hasn't caused any other damage.

Will see what happens and let you know!

Hi, have looked at your photos. Sorry, but everything is mounted right.

Greets

As it's happening while braking/accelerating it sounds more like anti roll bar related to me, but I am no expert. Has the car been involved in an accident previously ?

Gesendet von meinem D5503 mit Tapatalk

The left and right shocks are also identical in every way, which doesn't look right as this makes one of them orientated wrong and the drop link mount face the wrong way.

The part numbers are identical, which looking on the internet is not correct. On older shocks such as mine with a date of 12/01/2012 on them, there are left and right sided ones for sale on the internet.

New shocks from Skoda Parts now have a drop link mount on both sides so that the shock can be mounted on either side, but the old ones as on my car are only one sided.

Check the springs for a small stone jammed between the spring coil and the pocket holding the bottom of the spring. I had this on a previous car with a rear suspension spring. There was a horrible metallic scraping noise if the suspension moved past a certain point with no other symptoms.

The grinding only happens when the front suspension moves up and down whislt braking or accelerating at the same time.

Id say that COULDNT be the strut top bearing (usually grinds when strut turns and should show up if car is jacked up and wheel moved left/right)

it couldnt be your CV joints by any chance?

It doesn't do it by bouncing the car when stationary. And while maintaining constant speed over bumps its as quiet as a mouse!

Only does it when moving, when front suspension moves up or down and the brakes or accelerator are applied. Must be something to do with the lateral forces. Can't see any other explanation.

Are CV joints the ball joints/track rods?

If so, Skoda replaced them last autumn in an attempt to cure the problem but no joy in afraid.

Skoda also replaced the strut tops but again no joy.

Your right that euro parts has only one part for both sides, and the pictures of these parts look like the ones fitted to my car, but if you look at Skoda parts website, their new shocks have a drop link bracket on both sides which tends to suggest they have updated their shocks to be either handed, rather than one handed.

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/superb-shock-absorber-front-200-2015-50944

With just a one sided drop-link' bracket, as you can see in the pics above (thanks for embedding in a post!) The droplinks are attached at different places, causing one drop-link' to be at a more acute vertical angle and make the distance between mount and roll bar a slightly bit longer. Wouldn't this tighten up one side? As the drop-link' isn't going to be any longer is it, its just going to pull up the antiroll bar on one side.

The part number on both my shocks is 3C0 413 031 AT and they both have the date 12.1.12 on them.

I'd be playing closer attention to the bottom arms...

The arms attach the bottom of the strut to the rest of the car.

They also swivel up and down as they are connected to the strut as well as subject to a large amount of lateral force under braking AND acceleration.

The inner parts of the arms move within the cars sub-frame and it wouldn't take much for something to catch unseen within this area.

There are 2 bushes on each arm and don't forget the ball joint - I've known bottom arm ball joints cause all sorts of weird and wonderful noises...

• 7 years later...
17 hours ago, Carlston said:

Andy hasn't been seen since 2015, so you might not get a reply from him.

I saw that but thought worth a try.