Am I the only one?

HJM12

Who isn't very fond of the 1.2 TSI?  :D  I get that it's lovely and smooth and economical but for me it's too quiet and doesn't feel as quick as the TDI and for that reason I have ordered the diesel. What does everyone else think?

Who isn't very fond of the 1.2 TSI?  :D  I get that it's lovely and smooth and economical but for me it's too quiet and doesn't feel as quick as the TDI and for that reason I have ordered the diesel. What does everyone else think?

I don't know how you can say it doesn't feel as quick as the TDI, it's got more power, admittedly slightly less torque, is quieter and smoother which is a massive positive compared to the 3 pot diesel lump, it's lighter and more refined as well.

I'm on my second TSI now after over 10 years of driving diesels, vans and cars and this is by far the best engine I've drove. My former Peugeot diesels were great engines but they were built from biscuit tins. Unless I was driving a bigger car where I'd probably go for a 2.0 TDI, I wouldn't have another diesel.

Modern petrol engines are getting more powerful and economical all the time so I can't see the point of getting a diesel engined small car, maybe if you occasionally pulled a trailer then the extra torque may come in handy. We all have our own preferences so enjoy your smoker when it comes, I'm sure you'll like the noise and the extra vibrations.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends how many miles you do a year. My anual mileage is down to 7 to 8 k a year. I came from 8 yrs with a Mk 1

Skoda 1.9 Tdi Elegance to the petrol 1.2 Tsi SEL I have now done 4.5K the engine has loosened up and is happy to cruise @ 70 mph I have taken it up to 80 plus no problem. I changed to petrol for the lower cost of petrol, the premium you pay for a diesel car and the high cost of replacing the particulate filter. I do get quite a lot of road noise I think you get bigger wheels with the diesel so you may loose some of that apart from that no mega problems Joe. PS I do loose a lot of the road noise on newer sections of motor way and the cabin is quieter then. Joe

• Like 2

I don't know how you can say it doesn't feel as quick as the TDI, it's got more power, admittedly slightly less torque, is quieter and smoother which is a massive positive compared to the 3 pot diesel lump, it's lighter and more refined as well.

In a lot of cases a diesel engine can feel quicker than a petrol equivalent because of the torque and the way it develops it's power. You mentioning that it's both quieter and smoother is part of the issue, the 1.2 TSI is so quiet (can be good and bad) that it doesn't feel as quick as it is. Have you driven the 105 TDI lump because although it does sound rather rough it feels like it pulls much harder than the TSI. You don't need to get so aggressive and childish with the "enjoy your smoker when it comes, I'm sure you'll like the noise and the extra vibrations" comment because you're right. Everyone does have their own preferences.

Edited by HJM12

Came from a 2012 Merc 220 CDI. Powerful and lots of torque. And heavy.

Very please with the 110 1,2 tsi. Much lighter car, admittedly less torque and power so the red-light race isnt always won, but besides that?

Quieter, smoother, cheaper insurance and taxes, equal or lower fuel consumption and - actually - bigger boot.

Ya know, gas is the new diesel ;)

Edit- oh yeah, I also own one of them 3 cyl diesels. Nice in many ways, but it is not, repeat: NOT quiet and vibrates quit a lot at city speeds. No vibes at highway speeds but that evens out by the roar :)

Edited by pfaff
  • Like 3

Cost never came into it, 110 bhp of refinement rather than 90bhp of diesel chatter, like I said, drove diesels for over 10 years, 9 of them driving 30-35k a year for my job so prefer the revvy nature of the TSI and the smoothness that's all.

You're obviously happy to pay a premium for what you prefer so for that I tip my hat to you but don't ask for opinions then start having a pop because someone disagrees with you.

Sent from my Moto G

Cost never came into it, 110 bhp of refinement rather than 90bhp of diesel chatter, like I said, drove diesels for over 10 years, 9 of them driving 30-35k a year for my job so prefer the revvy nature of the TSI and the smoothness that's all.

You're obviously happy to pay a premium for what you prefer so for that I tip my hat to you but don't ask for opinions then start having a pop because someone disagrees with you.

Sent from my Moto G

Actually I made the original post, asking what other people thought but not at all having a go at anyone else?. Throughout your post you almost seemed to wind yourself up about it (considering the finishing comment) so you were the one who got offended, not me.

Just my opinion that's all, wasn't being childish, must be my Geordie humour [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto G

Well that was a silly mistake, surely you knew humour stops at about Brum!  I have the same trouble up here, I'm from the West coast side of Scotland but living "abroad" on the East coast side, the East coast side or Edinburgh folk really do not understand humour, strange that?

• Like 1

Someone said.. only worth having a diesel on a 2 litre big car...? Well, I agree.

Can't see the point on having all that chatter and clunk in a small thing like our Fabias, for the sake of *maybe* saving half a penny per mile.

That said, when my Fabia is done... in about 3 years, it'll be hard to resist VW Group's smokey and hopefully CHEAP big 2 litre TDI in an Octavia or Superb.. assuming they are still around and not bust, or in prison...

• Like 1

We are 5000 kms into our new 1.2 TSi. It is as writers say, very quiet and smooth and a hugely different car to the 1.9 SDI it has replaced. At the moment it has averaged 60mpg which seems much less than the previous car but acceptable. All in all it is very nice to drive. I preferred the heater controls one the previous cars as they could be operated by touch: I don't like having to take my eyes off the road to find the controls but I guess that I will learn where they are in time. I expect we all remember when in the seventies, rotary dials were constantly rubbished by journalists in favour of sliders and how we now have, well guess. This is my only gripe and I might be in the minority in not being terribly interested in the myriad mod cons that cars have now. The Fabias are really good cars and make a lot of sense. 

• Like 1

We are 5000 kms into our new 1.2 TSi. It is as writers say, very quiet and smooth and a hugely different car to the 1.9 SDI it has replaced. At the moment it has averaged 60mpg which seems much less than the previous car but acceptable. All in all it is very nice to drive. I preferred the heater controls one the previous cars as they could be operated by touch: I don't like having to take my eyes off the road to find the controls but I guess that I will learn where they are in time. I expect we all remember when in the seventies, rotary dials were constantly rubbished by journalists in favour of sliders and how we now have, well guess. This is my only gripe and I might be in the minority in not being terribly interested in the myriad mod cons that cars have now. The Fabias are really good cars and make a lot of sense. 

Is that for the 1.2 90PS or 110PS?

Absolutely loving my 110 TSI. The engine is smooth and torquey - runs out of puff a little at the top end but but overall a really sweet engine for mine.

It's a little louder than my dads polo due to less sound deadening which means I get a little turbo whistle through sometimes which is nice.

Overall I think it's a great match for the 7speed dsg - especially in the twisties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My previous car was a 1.9 PD diesel Fabia II, and I loved the low torque which ment you did not need change gear constantly (in fact it could almost do without a gearbox :) ). 

I changed it to a petrol Fabial III and spent the saved diesel-to-petrol money for a DSG, thereby leaving the computer to do the tideous clutch and gear lever work.

Do not regret, when needing acceleration just floor the pedal and it will change from 7th  to 4th gear, and accelerate and change up quicker than any driver could do.

It do changes gear quite more often than the diesels, but that is not the drivers problem :)

It's lightfoot time for you then. I hope you enjoy it anyway.

Life is for living and there is more to it than mpg. I much prefer to think in terms of SmPG...Smiles Per Gallon. The TSI 110 + DSG, like the old TDI PD 130 + 6-spd manual, is made for enjoyment.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you there Mr Alltorque. I love my TSI 110 with DSG and I have described it as a Dr Jerkyll (D mode selected) and Mr Hyde (S mode selected).. I have recently completed a 550 mile round trip down to the Big Smoke and back on the M1 and made an average 55 mpg, and about 10.5 hours travelling time, both affected for better and worse by the extensive 50 mph restrictions, But, when the road opens up and the traffic diminishes, there is bags of smooth quiet power. In fact its so smooth and quiet you have to watch the speedo or you might end up in trouble.It got me out of trouble as well at one point when a big Mercedes in the middle lane decided to pull out to the right, just when I was passing it. I was able to accelerate forward out of its way. If it had hit me, I would have been trapped against a concrete barrier forming a  temporary central divider, or maybe the Merc had a blind spot warning device. Whatever, the young-girl-driver did look across and gave the sheepish/guilty look. Another thing, after about 3 hours driving, we stopped at Trowel Services for a comfort break and when I got out of the car, my left knee almost collapsed in stiff-joint agony. After that, I made sure that I shifted my left leg periodically as I drove and I never had any more problems. The seats are good and supportive, it's just that you need to move your left leg about because if it stays in one position for hours, it seizes up.

I love the engine! However with a full loaded car going on holiday with wife kids and a full estate boot up hills it's definitely at the limit of what the engine can do. Glad I have 6 gears as I needed it! But that's once or twice a year plus only done 500 miles so it's still tight. Other than that definitely a great engine. Plenty of low down torque so no need to rev high but get it over a few thousand revs and it does come alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Towed a 1000 kilo cargo trailer 300 kms this last weekend. Empty on the 300 km return trip. Couldn't keep the 100 kmh speed up the 6% hills in 6th and got a bit thirsty at 8,3 l/100 km.

Otherwise it was no sweat for the 110 TSI.

Still a bit astonished.

Edited by pfaff
  • Like 2