Dsg 2nd to 1st when stopping - slight shudder

Hi All

Only owned my 2011 VRS DSG a few weeks and have been enjoying the drive. However over the last few days I have noticed a slight shudder when the dsg box is changing down from 2nd to 1st just a fraction before coming to a standstill. It feels like when you are driving in a gear that is too high for too long and the gentle shake reminds you to change down. It's like it's now about to stall but doesn't. I don't recall this feeling when I first picked the car up and it's starting to concern me as know these things can potentially cost big bucks to sort.

I do also get a big pause when accelerating whilst already moving and then all of a sudden an almighty rush of power, this could just be a symptom of the dsg in drive mode but it's so much smoother in manual mode.

Is this normal operation for the dsg or should I get it checked out? I've googled the symptons and so far have come up with potentially replacement flywheel, clutchpacks or mechantronic. The car has done 68k with fsh and a dsg oil change at 40k.

I have also heard that there was a dsg update available at the dealers in the past. Is it a given that my car would of received it if serviced at a main dealers or is that not always the case?

Any ideas?

Regards

Mark

I doubt it is anything other than the one slight shortcoming of the DSG. What you describe, without knowing exactly to what degree it is doing it, sounds like what mine does. For instance, if I leave it in Auto and approach a small roundabout in third but have to brake slightly then I know full well that if have to get out promptly there is every chance the damn thing will slam me down into first gear and rev like a demon. By contrast, if I slip it into Manual as I approach, I can then pooter on in third or deliberately use second gear if I need the extra oomph.

I still love it but I had to learn to.

Thanks for the reply. I know the scenario you have explained but the slight shudder/vibration I experience is when reaching a stop. I'll have to keep an eye on it, potentially have the oil changed ahead of schedule and ask for a reset/update.

This may not be the same issue...

I've got the 7 speed dsg on a 1.4 TSI engine and I can't get the car to stop completely smoothly. On a manual I'd push the clutch in just as I'm about to stop and all is well. On this, no matter how I control the brake pedal, I can't get a completely smooth stop. I've not looked to see if it relates to going 2->1 on the gears though.

I've had it 2 years and it's not got any worse, and it had the dsg oil changed in a VW recall about a year (I think) ago . It's not a massive "I'm about to stall" judder, but I can feel it.

I know exactly what you mean as mine is suffering with the same symptoms, mine is the 7 speed DSG on the fabia vrs but setting off or slowing down to go over a speed bump. I'm driving for example and approaching a speed bump, I slow down and go over it then slowly press the accelerator to speed up, somewhere around 6mph I get a judder. I'm booked in on the 26th to get this checked out as I know something is wrong. Ive had the car nearly a year and it's only recently started to happen.

This may not be the same issue...

I've got the 7 speed dsg on a 1.4 TSI engine and I can't get the car to stop completely smoothly. On a manual I'd push the clutch in just as I'm about to stop and all is well. On this, no matter how I control the brake pedal, I can't get a completely smooth stop. I've not looked to see if it relates to going 2->1 on the gears though.

I've had it 2 years and it's not got any worse, and it had the dsg oil changed in a VW recall about a year (I think) ago . It's not a massive "I'm about to stall" judder, but I can feel it.

Try this to stop smoothly. Brake so you will stop a little before the required stopping point but come completely off the brakes just before the car comes to a stop and then just a gently touch on the brakes to roll to a stop. With practise this becomes second nature. Works for me. I was recently told by an advanced driving instructor/examiner that mine were the smoothest stops he had experienced in a DSG equipped car.

Thanks for the tips and replies. I only live 3 miles from home but today I gave the car a longer run and must say that the issue doesn't seem so pronounced when it's been warmed up. I think (hopefully!) that it might just be DSG characteristic.

I just had my "mechatronic" replaced under warranty I had exactly the same symptoms I heard this is very popular issue for DSG I was very lucky my car was under warranty. If you have a warranty go to Skoda to get it check!

• 5 years later...

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this, but i have the same thing on my 2015 Octavia rs that i just picked up, curious to see how you guys have gotten on with this since? I get a very slight shudder just before i come to a stop and am not sure if I need to take it back to the dealer (it's still under it's warranty) or if it's just a DSG Trait.

@Blairyc 

Take it back to the dealer.

You have a warranty, report your concerns, and it is not a trait or behaviour that the brains at VW Engineering designed into the DSG.

Has the car done 64,000 and odds km (40,000 miles) and had the DSG Serviced with an oil change?

Edited by e-Roottoot

4 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@Blairyc 

Take it back to the dealer.

You have a warranty, and it is not a trait or behaviour that the brains at VW Engineering designed into the DSG.

Has the car done 64,000 and odds km (40,000 miles) and had the DSG Serviced with a oil change?

It had it's DSG Service at 57k km, it's 93k km now. it's only very slight as you come to a stop, kind of like you didn't dip the clutch quickly enough if it were a manual car...

So report it to the dealership, let the Master Tech drive the car and tell you it is OK and just a trait.

Maybe try driving another 5 year old wet clutch DSG car and see if it has the same trait.   

Plenty 6 DSG's are smooth down the gears and 2nd to 1st.

(DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG's are a whole different matter, some might be smooth and some are cluncky.)