Real World MPG figures

On my weekend test drive, I got 47 av mpg round town. 50 mpg on a er..motorway speed drive (90 miles travelled) on ACC and 65mpg on a more sedate motorway drive (100miles travelled). Trip computer reset before each drive.

150 dsg SE Business estate

190DSG 4x4 getting just 43 on a mixed road journey. Not had a chance to do a long run yet, where I expect high 40s or low 50s.

Only 600 miles on the clock, so it's way too early to get a real view yet......seems a tad thirstier than I thought it might be (for now).

Edited by FelisBengalensis

I'll be pretty peeved if I only get 47 from my TDI 150! Hoping for mid fifties knocking around tbh.

I wasn't trying too hard to get the max mpg. I was quite happy as it's better than 35ish mpg I'd get from my XC60.

Anyone have any experience on the 190 DSG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superb Hatch L&K DSG 190PS

Only had it since 5 Oct,two fuelings so far brimmed : 381.7 miles 49.73...349 miles 48.62 rimmed. Nowhere near run in yet. Last vehicle Superb Estate L&K DSG 170PS on same runs ( distance only no allowance for weather or traffic ) 90% rural Cornwall averaged when 18 months of running  39 - 44.. Will be having a run to Shap later this month so expecting better results. The results so far are considerably better.

Superb Hatch L&K DSG 190PS

Only had it since 5 Oct,two fuelings so far brimmed : 381.7 miles 49.73...349 miles 48.62 rimmed. Nowhere near run in yet. Last vehicle Superb Estate L&K DSG 170PS on same runs ( distance only no allowance for weather or traffic ) 90% rural Cornwall averaged when 18 months of running 39 - 44.. Will be having a run to Shap later this month so expecting better results. The results so far are considerably better.

Something doesn't seem right about those numbers. The new Superb has a 60l tank, 13.198 imperial gallons. That first tank of 381.7 miles would be an MPG of 28.92 MPG not 49.73. (Or slightly better as you still had fuel in the tank when you finished). I get about 500 miles out of a 50l Octavia 2.0 150 DSG which is about 48-52mpg on average. Are you sure about those figures?

• Like 1

Geez. You're right. Even more off then. That would only be like 14.52 imperial gallons which would give the previous posted an MPG of 26.28 MPG apx

Geez. You're right. Even more off then. That would only be like 14.52 imperial gallons which would give the previous posted an MPG of 26.28 MPG apx

But they didn't say it was empty, or had used the full 66 litres in that time (nor would you unless running out completely didn't worry you!)...I'm guessing they meant that they had done 381.7 miles from brimmed and on that subsequent fill to brim again they got 7.65 gallons in, equating to 49.73mpg 

Edited by thepook

Something doesn't seem right about those numbers. The new Superb has a 60l tank, 13.198 imperial gallons. That first tank of 381.7 miles would be an MPG of 28.92 MPG not 49.73. (Or slightly better as you still had fuel in the tank when you finished). I get about 500 miles out of a 50l Octavia 2.0 150 DSG which is about 48-52mpg on average. Are you sure about those figures?

Doesn't say how many litres were used though - probably wasn't a whole tankful  ?

But they didn't say it was empty, or had used the full 66 litres in that time (nor would you unless running out completely didn't worry you!)...I'm guessing they meant that they had done 381.7 miles from brimmed and on that subsequent fill to brim again they got 7.65 gallons in, equating to 49.73mpg

Very true. I made the assumption that brimmed also meant it was done from nearly empty. It's about the only way those numbers make sense - if it was done with quite a bit left in the tank. I was surprised as when I was test driving the car (I'm buying the ex demo from my dealer - collecting on the 27th) as it was getting similar mileage figures to my 150 Octavia.

Any Superb III petrol figures yet?

280 tsi in D (DSG), DCC in normal, start-stop enabled = typically between 27-28 mpg during urban with some rural, 36 mpg on a single 100 mile "autobahn simulation".

These are Maxidot figures, so probably reading a bit high. I can't be asked to calculate the "real" numbers at the pump. If it was a concern I wouldn't have gone for the 280.  :dull:

• Like 2

So just to clarify, what capacity is the fuel tank? at the time of my test drive, the dealer guy said it was 55 litres which I did at the time think was on the slim side for a car this size. Take it that there is no capacity difference between petrol and diesel.

Tank capacity might also vary depending on whether 2wd or 4wd.

On the Yeti, the 4wd versions get a different tank, effectively two tanks either side of the propshaft (and I have a feeling it holds a little more than the 2wd, though not 100% sure).

So just to clarify, what capacity is the fuel tank? at the time of my test drive, the dealer guy said it was 55 litres which I did at the time think was on the slim side for a car this size. Take it that there is no capacity difference between petrol and diesel.

The S3 has a 66 litre fuel tank.

There is no difference between petrol, diesel, hatch or combi.

Done 430 miles,revved no higher than 3500 revs,still moves at that low rpm,ave 31 mpg mxd urban and motorway,bout 7 mpg less than my octavia vrs petrol done at that mileage,pretty much what i expected,heavier more powerful and four wheel drive accounts for the difference,should improve with more miles on the clock,wont though,be run in and i wont be doing 3500.max revs,as a previous post said you dont buy a 280 for fuel economy!! Will say it again,fantastic motor!!

2.0TDI 150PS, Manual Estate, 19" wheels:

Full tank down to about 1/4, then filled so I could calculate the actual mpg as well as the reported.

Trip computer said 52.0 mpg since refuel.

Calculation came out at 48.0 mpg.

Based on runs averaging 30 miles each. Very little town or stop start driving, about 60-70% rural A roads at approx. 50mph and the rest on dual carriageways or motorways at between about 65 and 70mph. Not aggressive at all, apart from the odd overtake. Had the engine in mostly Normal mode, with maybe 1/3 of the time in Eco to see what difference it made (not a lot).

A bit disappointed in this - my driving style and journey profile has meant in pretty much every car I've ever owned I've approached the published combined figures within just a few percent. The published figure for this model is 67.3mpg, and the car is reporting over 22% lower than that and actually doing nearly 29% less. I know that published fuel figures are up there in the list of top ten pieces of fiction, but even so, I think that's excessive.

Also, doesn't compare well with the other figures published here so far. Will report back as the car runs in, although on my last car, fuel economy actually decreased slightly over the course of the first 10,000 miles.

Anyone found a particular brand of fuel suits the 2.0TDI 150PS well yet? I had a car once which would return nearly 10% better fuel economy just by putting Shell in it. But not the V-Power stuff - that was actually worse.

Done 430 miles,revved no higher than 3500 revs,still moves at that low rpm,ave 31 mpg mxd urban and motorway,bout 7 mpg less than my octavia vrs petrol done at that mileage,pretty much what i expected,heavier more powerful and four wheel drive accounts for the difference,should improve with more miles on the clock,wont though,be run in and i wont be doing 3500.max revs,as a previous post said you dont buy a 280 for fuel economy!! Will say it again,fantastic motor!!

Hey sooty ! it may be better to give it a few more beans to aid running in. I've limited myself to 4k revs for first 600 miles and use the full range up to 4k as much as possible.

I will then increase revs by 500 every hundred miles for the next 400. That's pretty much what it says in the manual and gives stuff more chance to bed in.