Anyone got any experience with this android head unit?

Hi peeps,

Icebox auto have sent me this as a possible replacement for my factory fitted Stream head unit -Skoda Octavia II (2007 - 2009) Android 4.0 I005.

http://www.iceboxauto.com/skoda-octavia-ii-2007-2009-android-44-i005

I'm waiting for them to confirm whether it's compatible with my 55 plate octavia 2 (pre fl) but in the meantime was wondering whether anyone had any experience with this head unit?

Thanks

Chris

Hi peeps,

Icebox auto have sent me this as a possible replacement for my factory fitted Stream head unit -Skoda Octavia II (2007 - 2009) Android 4.0 I005.

http://www.iceboxauto.com/skoda-octavia-ii-2007-2009-android-44-i005

I'm waiting for them to confirm whether it's compatible with my 55 plate octavia 2 (pre fl) but in the meantime was wondering whether anyone had any experience with this head unit?

Thanks

Chris

I am intrigued... why would they have just sent you one?

I too am considering a change of the Stream unit in a pre-FL '08 reg Octavia II and that looks very cheap compared to a lot.

They originally sent me 3, after I'd enquired about the DNS810.

I'm a bit of an android fan boy though, so this one appealed more.

Even though I'd stated I had a 55 model, they were all 2007 or later....which was a little weird!

They originally sent me 3, after I'd enquired about the DNS810.

I'm a bit of an android fan boy though, so this one appealed more.

Even though I'd stated I had a 55 model, they were all 2007 or later....which was a little weird!

As in.... Sent you three for free?

Yeah, they sent me three choices! Lol

Have you got a link to a similar Columbus unit though, for comparison? If it's not much more I may be persuaded to go with that, as they seem incapable let of actually confirming whether the i005 will be fully compatible with my car!

when i was looking to upgrade my stream unit i looked at columbus units on ebay, but then i thought, how do you know they're not from stolen cars, or stolen from a car and if they've been 'tampered' with inside to avoid the need for a code they could present a fire risk as well. On top of that you'll never be able to update the maps if it reported stolen, or can you?

when i was looking to upgrade my stream unit i looked at columbus units on ebay, but then i thought, how do you know they're not from stolen cars, or stolen from a car and if they've been 'tampered' with inside to avoid the need for a code they could present a fire risk as well. On top of that you'll never be able to update the maps if it reported stolen, or can you?

There is of course a chance the units have been stolen, I'd argue this goes for all second hand units as it's very hard to prove the history of them.

They are unlikely to have been electrically tampered with as it's possible to generate the code from the serial number. It's possible they will have had the firmware updated to a modified versions supporting VIM and testmode but that's probably the limit of it. It shouldn't have any affect on future map updates as it's just a DVD you load into the unit which has no way to check if a unit is stolen, plus you can always change the firmware yourself if needed.

I understand your concern so all I can suggest is that you choose the seller carefully, fortunately the protection on eBay is normally OK if you have problems.

I've got an AS-620 from iceboxauto.  It was the successor to the ANS-620.  The newest models start with DS-

http://www.iceboxauto.com/vw-octavia-2007-2013-7-as610

Mine is brilliant. It replaced my Bolero without any trim or cable changes. Does everything I could possibly want, though obviously I can't install android apps or browse the internet on it!

The one vRSBobT linked to looks to be the same shape but upgraded yet again. The key differences are higher resolution screen, better bluetooth, phone link and TPMS.  They all need the facelift Octy to make full use of the canbus features, e.g MFSW, display aircon, parking sensors and OBD info.

Iceboxauto import these head units from Audiosources. The fit and finish are equal to OEM.  They show various models at:

http://www.audiosources.net/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=50002&Id=303&FId=t3:50002:3

Will that 1st android unit fit my 2013 mk2 octavia to replace my bolero unit?

What changed after 2009 as it looks the same as mine?

Edited by Asuma