Tyre replacement on 4x4

Gyp

I always change tyres at 3mm.  Swap back and fronts so all 4 are changed at once.  This allows me to swap brand if I wish and still ensure that all 4 tyres are the same.

Over the past few years all my punctures have been in the front tyres and on my wife's car punctures have all been in the rear tyres.  Ryeman, any theory as to why?  I don't drive everywhere in reverse.

Tried swapping mine front to back - they made such a row that I had to swap them back! Dunlop SP01.

I've just fitted Michelin CC's to the Volvo in the same 225/50 R17 size as most UK Yeti's.

To early to give a proper review but at temps between 8 and 16 deg C they seem to behave similar to the summer Bridgestone's which they replaced. In heavy rain they also appeared excellent; seemed to shift a lot of the surface water judging by the trail of spray behind and the drenched rear screen.

Oh I forgot to mention our Volvo dealer supplied and fitted them for £408, which seemed very reasonable.

By the way if anyone is after a set of four very good Bridgestone T001 part worn's, I have a some for sale £100 plus postage  ;)

TP

I never use the word never

My experience is predominantly slow leaks from nails or screws....as for 'blowouts' I can't remember ever having one in the last 30+ years

My wife and I have both suffered a tyre blow-out.  In both cases happened in the dark when hitting blocks of stone that had fallen out of Cotswold stone walls.  All other punctures have been due to foreign objects embedded in the tyres.

The only problem that exists with 'directional' tyres involves correct fitment to the rim.......so I don't see why it's an issue at all.

Sigh

I wish stone walls were plentiful out here.......just dreamin'

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I'm going to give in and buy a set of Crossclimates in the Blackcircles sale tomorrow as they're the cheapest I can find at the moment

Didn't want to spend the best part of £500 just before Christmas but hey ho

Are you dead set on getting the Cross Climates? Nokian Weatherproof all seasons have had very good reviews, and I'm really pleased with mine (done over 2500 miles on them now).

You can get a set of them delivered from Oponeo for £364, which leaves quite a bit for fitting costs. http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/nokian-weatherproof-225-50-r17-98-v-xl for 225/50/17 98 V XL

• Like 2

I'm not convinced by the likes of Cross Climates. Surely they aren't going to be quite as good as a summer tyre in the summer, nor as good as a winter tyre when it's cold? Given a set of winter tyres costs no more than the fitting (or fitting + cheap steels) it seems like a no-brainer to run two sets.

I'm not convinced by the likes of Cross Climates. Surely they aren't going to be quite as good as a summer tyre in the summer, nor as good as a winter tyre when it's cold? Given a set of winter tyres costs no more than the fitting (or fitting + cheap steels) it seems like a no-brainer to run two sets.

Except for when the climate doesn't cooperate and coordinate with the wheels fitted.

• Like 1

I've learnt that the thing i don't have lots of is space. My garage already has a spare set of wheels from the missus' car alongside the 3 motorbikes. There's no room for more wheels

Are you dead set on getting the Cross Climates? Nokian Weatherproof all seasons have had very good reviews, and I'm really pleased with mine (done over 2500 miles on them now).

You can get a set of them delivered from Oponeo for £364, which leaves quite a bit for fitting costs. http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/nokian-weatherproof-225-50-r17-98-v-xl for 225/50/17 98 V XL

oh, that's definitely worth considering, especially as it turns out that it was tyreshopper that had the offer not blackcircles. When I've looked for Nokians before they've been a lot more than this

From the tests I've seen, the area that differentiates the Cross Climates from other all-seasons or winter tyres, is that their dry braking and grip *is* virtually as good as a summer tyre.

No, they're not as good as a proper winter tyre in snow, but still much, much better than a summer tyre. And if, like Gyp you've got 4wd to aid traction anyway.....they sound the perfect solution for average UK climate.

I'm still running two sets though, as living high up in Derbyshire and commuting across the Peak District means I often need plenty of snow traction!

If it's of any interest...

Quietest "performance" summer tyre I've used on the Yeti is the Dunlop Sportmaxx RT, excellent grip, but the wear rate is ridiculous.

Currently running Michelin Pilot Sport 3s - marginally noisier and less fuel efficient than the Dunlops - but by far the "sportiest" feeling tyre I've used, I love them. Too early to comment on wear rate, but from reviews they should fare better than the Dunlops.

For winter in the Yeti I've just bought some Nokian WRD4s, to go on 16" steels. They've not been in many reviews yet, so bit of a gamble, but got to be better than the Hankook winters that were on the wheels when I bought them, which were not very good in snow at all.

Best winter tyre I've used has been the Continental TS850, but they don't seem to be available in the Yeti size.

Been running 225/50 R17 98V Cross Climates for a month now on the V40, in temperatures ranging from 0 to 18 deg C in both the dry and wet (in some cases very wet) and been more than happy with their performance so far. Not tried snow yet and really hope I don't have to, as it makes driving round here even on full winters no fun at all.

Have also used the original Vector 4 Season but in a much smaller 14" size and although not a true comparison, the Michelin is the better tyre when it gets warmer, whereas in the colder conditions they seem much closer.

TP 

Best winter tyre I've used has been the Continental TS850, but they don't seem to be available in the Yeti size.

Surprised you can't source the TS850.  I've had them on 16" steels for a couple of years.

Run four Michelin Cross Climates on my 2009 Yeti for a month now (215/60R16 99V).

Conditions have been wet and recently very wet and cool since.

Apart from being a bit quieter than my previous Nokian eNtyres, handling definitely seems much more secure.