Help Me Love my Octavia Again - Central Locking & Elec Window Issues

Look in the vcds forum on here to see if there is someone near you who could help.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Aye, I did send a message to someone local but they didn't reply. I will start looking further afield. :) 

I took my door card off and found a small amount of corrosion inside the connector, I cleaned it and put it back together and my locking stopped working randomly on its own but not all doors would lock with the remote.

I had it scanned and there were so so many faults linked to the convenience module so I sourced a replacement with the exact same number. I fitted it but now nothing works so it will definately need coded me thinks which I've been told is easy to do via vcds?

I also dried out my drivers footwell as it was soaking in there but it's wet again!! Anyone know where the water comes in? I've had a look and feel about but can't locate it. My car smells quite damp inside now.

Does everyone else that has water in the motor also have damp floors??

I also dried out my drivers footwell as it was soaking in there but it's wet again!! Anyone know where the water comes in? I've had a look and feel about but can't locate it. My car smells quite damp inside now.

Often the cause is a blocked drain from the sunroof. With the driver's door open, look for a flattened rubber pipe about the same height as the fuse panel. Squeeze it open and push a screwdriver or similar up the pipe to remove any trapped rubbish. Similarly on the passenger side front. The water comes down from the roof, often through the light.

• Like 1

I took my door card off and found a small amount of corrosion inside the connector, I cleaned it and put it back together and my locking stopped working randomly on its own but not all doors would lock with the remote.

I had it scanned and there were so so many faults linked to the convenience module so I sourced a replacement with the exact same number. I fitted it but now nothing works so it will definately need coded me thinks which I've been told is easy to do via vcds?

Sounds to me like you are having the same fault as me. I think it must be sorted with coding, but what I don't know is what needs coding or altering. I have asked on the VCDS part of the forum so I will let you know of any updates: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/380215-octavia-i-central-locking-electric-windows-fault/

I don't have the same issue with wet footwells, but then I don't have a sunroof so that could well be the cause? 

I had this last year on my mk1 Octavia. I wasted a lot of time and money at the dealers as they were sure it was coming in one of the drivers side doors and did the usual things (new membrane etc).

Didn't fix it. I posted this thread which gave me some pointers - it was coming in through the scuttle bay via the cable entry box. Not had a problem since...

(you will need to take the carpets up and dry the insulation underneath it to get rid of the damp once its fixed ideally)

Sounds to me like you are having the same fault as me. I think it must be sorted with coding, but what I don't know is what needs coding or altering. I have asked on the VCDS part of the forum so I will let you know of any updates: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/380215-octavia-i-central-locking-electric-windows-fault/

I don't have the same issue with wet footwells, but then I don't have a sunroof so that could well be the cause?

Yeah it sounds a similar issue. I've still not had the chance to get it coded but I'm off the rest of the week so hopefully I get some of the issues ironed out.

How was the micro switch to replace? Did you do the whole mechanism or just the switch itself? I'm hop g after coding that everything works but knowing my luck it won't.

I had this last year on my mk1 Octavia. I wasted a lot of time and money at the dealers as they were sure it was coming in one of the drivers side doors and did the usual things (new membrane etc).

Didn't fix it. I posted this thread which gave me some pointers - it was coming in through the scuttle bay via the cable entry box. Not had a problem since...

(you will need to take the carpets up and dry the insulation underneath it to get rid of the damp once its fixed ideally)

Thanks for that it's given me some useful information. I had a look in the scuttle area a few weeks ago by the pollen filter and cleaned a lot of crap out of there so the covers definately do need removed to give it a proper clean.

Although I think that could be part of the issue of the water getting in I also think it's coming in the drivers door because I've opened it a couple of times and there's been water sitting on the seal, you can actually see where it's run down the inside of the plastic trim on the sill. Both front and rear drivers side footwells are absolutely soaked now with all the rain we've had recently.

I have no drivers door membrain either I noticed so someone's been in there before and not replace it. Are these available from the dealers separately?

Edited by Mcdubber1

Thanks for that it's given me some useful information. I had a look in the scuttle area a few weeks ago by the pollen filter and cleaned a lot of crap out of there so the covers definately do need removed to give it a proper clean.

Although I think that could be part of the issue of the water getting in I also think it's coming in the drivers door because I've opened it a couple of times and there's been water sitting on the seal, you can actually see where it's run down the inside of the plastic trim on the sill. Both front and rear drivers side footwells are absolutely soaked now with all the rain we've had recently.

I have no drivers door membrain either I noticed so someone's been in there before and not replace it. Are these available from the dealers separately?

I did see membranes at skodaparts.com a while ago for about £30 iirc failing that dealer could supply. Some people leave them off, apparently without problems although I wouldn't be doing that I don't think.

I was just thinking today that some plastic sheeting would do the job. I've not had any of the passenger side door cards off yet so I don't know if the membrains are still in place it not. I'll go pick some up tomorrow and give it a bash.

Yeah it sounds a similar issue. I've still not had the chance to get it coded but I'm off the rest of the week so hopefully I get some of the issues ironed out.

How was the micro switch to replace? Did you do the whole mechanism or just the switch itself? I'm hop g after coding that everything works but knowing my luck it won't.

I changed the whole lock mechanism. :) 

• Like 1

I changed the whole lock mechanism. :)

Did you replace it with new or used, genuine or non genuine? I think mine will probably need changed aswell and I could easily change just the micro switch on its own but it looks like a lot of faffing about so would probably change the whole lock mech. They can be obtained ed on eBay for under 20 quid but m not sure if they'd be all that great?

Did you replace it with new or used, genuine or non genuine? I think mine will probably need changed aswell and I could easily change just the micro switch on its own but it looks like a lot of faffing about so would probably change the whole lock mech. They can be obtained ed on eBay for under 20 quid but m not sure if they'd be all that great?

There's been mainly good results with the pattern part mechs, some bad but mostly good I've heard. I went down the route of a used genuine one, got lucky it was fine, lubed the hell out of it and all was good.

There's been mainly good results with the pattern part mechs, some bad but mostly good I've heard. I went down the route of a used genuine one, got lucky it was fine, lubed the hell out of it and all was good.

Great thanks. I'll probably just go for a new pattern part if its required.

I sourced a part from a car being broken (from YellowCar incidentally). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I changed my module and had it coded to the car but it hasn't solved the problem unfortunately. The doors still lock and unlock randomly, infact it's even worse now. My dad left my house the other night and then came back in saying that my locks we're going mental, I disconnected it so as not to drain the battery. On the plus side my interior lights work now with the doors.

I've currently got both front seats out the car with the carpets and sound deadening lifted with a heater in there drying it out. They were unbelievably soaked. I'm hoping that once all is dried out and the doors sealed up again with new membranes that I see an improvement. I'm going on the theory that the dampness inside the car will probably be causing all sorts of problems to the electrics.

I think there is a problem with both passabger side door locks though. The rear door won't lock at all with the central locking and the front door lock but immediately unlocks itself again.

Everybody keeps telling me how great these cars are and how they ran them for years and years without any problem, I've had no end of problems in the couple of months I've had it. I don't mind so much though because I got it for a really good price. Lol