HID kits

Hi guys, is it possible to code a mk3 with VCDS for a HID kit without canbus or is it now safe to run a HID kit with canbus cheat ?

I can find loads of info on Mk2's but nothing on Mk3s. My only experience of HID kits is on another car where bulb warnings aren't an issue ('99 Porsche)

1600cr

See my post #100 in "Better bulbs for Mk3 headlights"

I have been messing about unsuccessfully with HID kits on my Scout, admittedly the kits I have tried have been old used ones I had in my garage, but I was unable to get them to work properly

I am currently considering one of these and I'm hoping someone will reply saying how good or not they are.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-New-72w-6400lm-H7-Cree-LED-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-Lamp-Bulb-Super-Bright-/331315784494?hash=item4d23f5ab2e:g:NT8AAOSwRLZUEBQd

That's interesting, funnily enough it's a scout that's got me looking I've been offered a deal on a new DSG Scout that's available from stock but it doesn't have xenons.

Have you tried coding the car for bi-xenon with shutters as per the lateMk2's ?

It is possible to install HID kits in the MK3 octavia via VCDs but sadly not without issues, I have managed to get the HIDs to work in my car and all works flawlessly until i activate the high beams at which point the HIDs switch off and can only be reactivated by switching the lights off completely and the back on again. Flashing the high beams does not cause an issue so I've just learned to live with it as very rarely use the high beams for long periods

And the difference between the MK2 and Mk3 Octavia is that in the Mk3 without xenons they are normal reflector lights aren't they?

The MK2 has projector lenses.

Yes, reflectors on Mk3 Phil, I don't think it's a problem with the latest r and rc bulbs available though.

R22JGB, ax-re - I've found the other thread and seen this.

Ax, do you have high beam assist ? What kit /ballasts and bulbs are you using and how was behaviour before coding ?

And the difference between the MK2 and Mk3 Octavia is that in the Mk3 without xenons they are normal reflector lights aren't they?

The MK2 has projector lenses.

you are right phil, the HID kit i have is designed for reflector housings, i was very careful to check the beam pattern to make sure i wasn't blinding anyone. Have been using them now for the last month and never been flashed, have also driven behind police vehicles without any issues.

Yes, reflectors on Mk3 Phil, I don't think it's a problem with the latest r and rc bulbs available though.

R22JGB, ax-re - I've found the other thread and seen this.

Ax, do you have high beam assist ? What kit /ballasts and bulbs are you using and how was behaviour before coding ?

no i don't have high beam assist, the HID ballasts i have are the slim standard version and are NOT the newer can-bus error free ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted a set of these today, 10min job. No bulb warnings, no flickering. Difference is incredible!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/181763048176

Need to change the Yellow H15 bulbs now.

That is looking good 1600cr, let me know how the glare is? have/will you get many people flashing their light at you?normally a problem with reflector headlight HID kits

Did you just "lose" the ballast & cabling in the back of the headlight unit?

keep me posted on your main bean H15, main problem I can see is the time the light come up to full brightness when going from dipped beam to main beam.

Don't think glare will be a problem, I parked in front of my garage door when fitting and the beams appear to be in the same place. When looking out I can still see the top of the beam running from Right to Left horizontally then going up to the Left Diagonally.

I was out for a good hour tonight and not had anyone flash. i ordered 5000K but all they had in H7R was 6000K, I was worried they'd be too Blue but they're not. Have just ordered some cheap Xenon look H15s on eBay as the originals now look very Yellow.

I could've squeezed everything inside I think but I was worried about heat. I just ran a drill through the back cover and fitted the rubber grommets supplied then stuck the ballast to the back of the covers (the twist grip on the cover works well as a shelf for the ballast) there's not much room in the wings to stuff everything in there, which stumped me a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think glare will be a problem, I parked in front of my garage door when fitting and the beams appear to be in the same place. When looking out I can still see the top of the beam running from Right to Left horizontally then going up to the Left Diagonally.

I was out for a good hour tonight and not had anyone flash. i ordered 5000K but all they had in H7R was 6000K, I was worried they'd be too Blue but they're not. Have just ordered some cheap Xenon look H15s on eBay as the originals now look very Yellow.

Any more info re glare, have you been getting many people flashing you?

I'm interested in an HID kit but concerned about glare towards oncoming traffic, so have been holding off ordering a set.

You really shouldn't need a "canbus" compatible kit on the mk3, it should be easy enough to change a couple of the adaptation channels to remove the bulb errors.

The "canbus" kits only load the circuit further to mimic that of a filament bulb

You really shouldn't need a "canbus" compatible kit on the mk3, it should be easy enough to change a couple of the adaptation channels to remove the bulb errors.

The "canbus" kits only load the circuit further to mimic that of a filament bulb

No one has managed to get that working yet. I don't mind spending a few hours trying if someone buys some non CANBUS at their own risk.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

If I had a non bi-Xenon car I could try it as I have an old ballast (non CANBUS)

We will have to wait until someone wants to do it and can come to either of us :-)

Is the issue bulb errors running normally or only when gojng to main beam etc.

Kit has arrived and been fitted, success, no flickering lights, no bulb failure light, there appears to be no glare to oncoming drivers AND I can now see at night!!

1600cr, I was able to fit the ballasts etc within the headlight, headlights lowering control still works fine with nothing jamming the motor/mechanism.

So all in all a resounding success!!