HID kits

hi to all , are HID's safe for mk3? 

I heard that is dangerous for the car's ecu

the correct bulb is H7R , but i am not sure if the correct is AC or DC. also if i must choose canbus or non canbus and make changes with vcds

46 minutes ago, haris said:

hi !!! nobody has fitted a Hid kit to mk3?????

Don't know if similar rules apply in Greece but in the UK from May 2018 the MOT test guidelines say:

Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps.

It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected.

So fitting ANY HID kit to a Mk3 which has the Halogen headlamps will now be an MOT fail in the UK.

hi, we don t have strict permissions to car modifications in our country.

this wouldn;t be a poblem

i am afraid of the light if is wrong to road and other drivers and especially if is indeed dangerous for my car;s electric( ecu etc)

21 minutes ago, haris said:

i am afraid of the light if is wrong to road and other drivers and especially if is indeed dangerous for my car;s electric( ecu etc)

Problems with dangerous glaring cars coming the other direction are why these new rules have been introduced, so if you're worried about that then DON'T DO IT would be my advice.

18 minutes ago, haris said:

οκ.. but what about the car's electrics?  is it dangerous. has anyone had problems with ecu or something else? does anything burned? 

Some aftermarket HID kits have had problems with the interference from the high voltage ballast affecting radio reception and, in extreme cases, causing enough interference to confuse the engine management leading to fault codes and EML lights.

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

Retrofit the proper OEM Bi-Xenon units or don't bother imo.

do you know if any e-shop sells everything that i need?

the headlights i suppose i can easily find them either on ebay, or in my country

so leave this out:)

BUT I SUPPOSE THERE ARE WIRES ETC, ETC THAT I WILL NEED. 

1 minute ago, haris said:

do you know if any e-shop sells everything that i need?

the headlights i suppose i can easily find them either on ebay, or in my country

so leave this out:)

BUT I SUPPOSE THERE ARE WIRES ETC, ETC THAT I WILL NEED. 

It's not a minor job by any means, as a minimum you'll need the headlamps, bulbs, ballasts, LED DRL control module (if you take the LED DRL units), possibly wiring adapters, AFS module, then suspension level sensors and headlamp washer system to be fully complete. Then the whole thing needs coding to tell the car of its changes.

By this point it's probably easier to change the car because of cost and effort.

• Like 1