Can anyone offer thoughts on this insurance claim

Binzie

A buddy of mine had his car insurance renewal come through Friday, quite a big jump, having always been with the company he called them up as he has every year for the last few.

They replied its because of your at fault claim 

I must fill in that he had some chancer accuse him of running them over in January - he supplied all the details of his whereabouts even collecting cctv footage of his arrival that day on 2 lots of cctv proving his innocence.

Anyway; it would seem regardless of the CCTV his insurance have coughed up to the tune of £6.5k - but he didn't do it ?? his no claims is gone with 5 years of inflated insurance

I have told him to complain to the financial ombudsman - why would his insurance roll over ? i thought it was like getting blood out of a stone ??

Are we missing something ?

so basically, the claimant has committed insurance fraud to the tune of £6.5K. Definitely worth getting the Ombudsman involved. Not sure if the Police would do much but may be worth reporting it to Brum's fraud dept.

• Like 1

I have told him to complain to the financial ombudsman - why would his insurance roll over ? i thought it was like getting blood out of a stone ??

Sadly as your and other's stories here show, pretty much all claims go straight through 'as its too expensive (for them, not you, the person paying for the service) to fight'. Its an absolute scam and most insurers are every bit as responsible as the chancers.

I have dashcams in both cars to defend myself but it seems they are ignoring pretty good evidence anyway.

My thoughts are "Pass me the entire file of papers, CCTV, medical and any other evidence, and i'll read and comment on them"

Being expected to comment on an (extremely unlikely) very rapid personal injury claim settlement on the basis of  "I've got a buddy who says that etc. etc. etc." is never going to produce a reasonable outcome.

I suspect, also without any firm evidence, that they currently have an open, outstanding claim with a £6,500 estimate on the books pending resolution / settlement and until it is all sorted out that is is recorded as an at-fault claim.

Oh, and for all those who are suggesting referring to the Ombudsman, I suggest you read their terms of reference and at what point they are able to get involved. (namely when you have been through the Insurance company's formal complaints procedures and all other avenues have been explored without resolution).

They are not there simply because you don't agree with the Insurers decision, or to investigate cases of possible fraudulent claims.

• Like 1

Insurers quite often simply pay out to these scamsters

It works in their favour as then they can charge more to everyone........  :dull: