1.6 TDi Exhaust noise

Have had my current Octavia 1.6 TDi SE for a month. This was a replacment for another one which was making a whining noise at a certain speed, and after much hassle (and an email to the Skoda UK managing director) was replaced with my current vehicle.

However i am not sure all is well with this one either. Fisrtly the issue with the original vehicle is not apparent on this one so i am happy about this.

But, the exhaust sounds noisy, as if its "blowing" or a sports exhaust was fitted.

I appreciate that i may just be sensitive to any odd noise due to the issues with my first vehicle but i am sure it sounds too loud for this sort of vehicle.

I have driven a same spec vehicle but that had 10k miles on the clock and did not sound like mine. Could it be that i need to give the exhaust time to soot up?

Are there any other 1.6TDi owners who have noticed anything similar?

Give it some miles to run in, then see what its like.

Does it have the sound deadening under the bonnet?

Yes it does have some sound deadening under the bonnet. 

It has only done 800 miles and i am wondering if it will get better with some miles as you say but i just have a nagging doubt in my head about the vehicle due to the hassle i had with the one that this one has replaced.

These aren't exactly quiet cars but saying that the exhaust on my car is very quiet even at two years old and 18000 miles, so if your brand new car is really noisy in that area I'd get it checked out first by your dealer, it might be a simple fix. Worth asking if you can drive a demo model with the same engine to compare noise levels.

yes my nearly 2 month old Octavia 1.6 se sounds like the exhaust is blowing thought it was because of the dsg gearbox I will get it check out

What's the reasoning to think it's to do with the DSG?

I had a drive of a 64 plate 1.6TDI se at the weekend. Sounds different to mine.

It had 10k on the clock though.

I have lost all trust in any of the dealers i have visited previously to assess/rectify any of the issues i have been in with tbh.

Been to a local independent garage/exhaust/tyre place tonight on my way home.

Doesn't look like anything is wrong with the exhaust, i was under the car with them when it was up in the air. They did say it was different to most cars they see as it only has one silencer towards the back of the vehicle. Don't know what my Mk2 was like as i never looked underneath lol. 

But they did have a drive of the car and said they could hear the "issue" i was referring to but said i should run the vehicle a bit longer as it may quieten down one it has a few more miles on it. 

TBH i may just be over reacting due to previous issues with the last vehicle but thats how it makes me feel, just end up listening for every slight inconsistent noise.

The only other thing i thought it could be is something vibrating against something else and resonating through the car, but looking underneath and around he transmission tunnel there was nothing apparent.

Will maybe try and record what it sounds like in the cabin and see if i can post it here. 

Noticed today that both numberplates were loose on my car. It would appear that the supplying dealership cannot even attach numberplate securely, what hope is there for them attempting so solve any sort of issue if they can't even do this simple job. lol

Not sure if this could manifest itself in some sort of noise or resonance through the vehicle but will check during tomorrows commute.

It has done a few. More than a few actually, already. I don't think they are related to this issue though. In fact if anything it sounds better when it's doing a regeneration to me.

Dude I think you are starting to become hypersensitive to issues with your car...I can understand it but it can become all consuming.

I would run it for a while, forget about it and just see if it settles down...particularly if there are no warning lights.

Every car is slightly different and are built to tolerances of course.....ive just gone from a 64 plate to 65 plate GTD....my new one came fitted with an incorrect passenger vent surround and wiring protruding from the tailgate trim....it has in the space of 3k miles developed a dash rattle not bad but annoying..likely caused by the soundaktor as it didnt do it when brand new. Also the tailgate isnt v well aligned (though it opens and shuts perfectly well).

I got the vent trim and wiring issue sorted as they bugged me and were easily addressed (and Its a lovely bit of kit which helps) but I honestly dont think its as well put together as the older car but I wont keep going back to the dealer about it....mainly as its a company car and I dont want the dealers to make it any worse particularly the rattles :-)

I sadly just dont think VAG make cars quite like they used to (were like bank vaults in Piech's time as leader) but I guess same can be said for most manufacturers as all they are ever doing is trying to make the product at less cost and sell for more.

Edited by pipsypreturns

• 1 year later...