License plate ligths of

Hi!

Is it possible to code the license plate lights off when running on DRL?

I've changed the lights to OEM LED's with a resistor and the resistors are creating heat. Just trying to avoid possible heat caused melt down during summertime.

-Juho

Hi!

Is it possible to code the license plate lights off when running on DRL?

I've changed the lights to OEM LED's with a resistor and the resistors are creating heat. Just trying to avoid possible heat caused melt down during summertime.

-Juho

Interesting. I didn't know that the number plate lights are also on with the DRLs. Is this a feature of Scandanavian specification cars, Juho?

I think the Scandinavian cars also have the rear lights on with the DRL so it would make sense that the licence plate lights are on too.

A better option is just to put the resistor somewhere safe where it can dissipate the heat appropriately. Plenty of metal around the boot area it can be attached to as they should only be about 5w each.

We do have the tail lights and plate lights on with DRL.

The heat might not be a major hazard but if I have understood the local law correctly the license plate lights doesn't have to be on with DRL. This and the heat made me wonder if it is possible to code plate lights off. Minor thing but I will do it if it is possible.

We do have the tail lights and plate lights on with DRL.

Whatever about license plates, why can't all cars in all markets have tail lights on with DRLs?  It would be so much safer and makes perfect sense.  It is becoming all too common to see cars in the middle of the night (in urban areas anyway) where drivers have DRLs on only but are oblivious to the fact that they have no rear lights and totally unlit from the rear  :devil:

• Like 2

Try replacing the big resistor with a  1W 330R.  I've found in the past that 330 ohms is enough to trick the ECU into thinking that there is a filament bulb.  IMO it doesn't monitor current levels to detect bulb status, just tests the lamp with a low current that doesn't always exceed the forward voltage of a LED hence the warning.  Of course the test may have 

A 330R at 14 volts will disspate just under 0.7 watts which is much more workable. 

Just FYI... I have Skoda LED units, the option in VCDS but need resistors.  Other members have been down this route...

This post here -

As above..... See my post #11..... For some reason the VCDS option to change number plate lighting to LED doesn't work on the pre FL Superb as I have found out..... I've since found numerous other posts saying the same thing.