changing rear indicators to led

I think fabbro is referring to the fact that the MKIII Suberb has a different type of rear light, where the bulbs are hidden behind a small central reflector.

I'm not sure I am following.

I get that there are caps covering the bulbs, my point was that presumably there is still a standard bulb behind the cap? In which case the LED's I suggested should fit.

2016_skoda_superb_11_1920x1080.jpg

The LED's (as LasseTheDude mentions above) are a direct replacement for the 'bayonet' type fitment....

311ZM%2BQF2%2BL.jpg

Problems will arise if the bulbs used in the MkIII are capless bulbs (push fit), these are now used more often as they are smaller and therefore work better in the smaller rear clusters now favoured on modern cars...

$_35.JPG

An interesting question would be if the LED bulbs are longer than a traditional filament bulb, in which case they may interfere with the cap on the MkIII.

I'd be surprised if they are though as the MkII Combi he has fitted them too also has a cover / cap over the indicator and reverse light bulb...

skoda_superb_est_badge.jpg?itok=tb1mxCfh

Edited by silver1011

It seems they do base adaptors to flick between capless and bayonet fitments...

Capless...

v3_7443_base.jpg

Bayonet...

v3_1156_base.jpg

Saying that though, they do look very long. I'm surprised these can be squeezed into any conventional rear light cluster, let alone the MkIII's?

LasseTheDude, which ones did you use on your MkII Combi?

Checked my "spare bulb kit" which is Skoda OEM specifically for the Superb III.

The indicator bulb is the same as the Mk.II Superb with the offset pins.

post-74330-0-25974500-1447858661_thumb.jpg

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I am following.

I get that there are caps covering the bulbs, my point was that presumably there is still a standard bulb behind the cap? In which case the LED's I suggested should fit.

I have no doubt that they will physically fit the light, my concern is because of the reflector in front of the bulb all the light output will need to be out of the side of the LED, I have yet to see a LED suitable for this ... but I have not checked for a year or two.

I think that might be what makes the Triton V3's so effective.

They've somehow managed to overcome the very directional light output usually associated with LED's.

If you view the YouTube video from earlier in the thread they do seem very bright in what is a traditional reflector type light cluster.

The issue for me is their price!

I recently put these in my Mercedes with zero issues.

7d07dd34dc3caef8d0c36ed1b25c9a53.jpg

If you think Skoda are fussy you should see Mercs!!

The rears are LED but the front were just standard PY21W/BAU15S lamps. Even though it has Bi-Xenon Intelligent light system and LED DRL. They still chose to use normal for the turn signals.

2aa4dc0acb6ab268736be7c7e5492d86.jpg

This is were the error messages would come up.

714c12fa711ae37e989ceb2131f3f495.jpg

I bought them from here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/321891415714

I think that might be what makes the Triton V3's so effective.

They've somehow managed to overcome the very directional light output usually associated with LED's.

If you view the YouTube video from earlier in the thread they do seem very bright in what is a traditional reflector type light cluster.

The issue for me is their price!

Yes the price of them is a big issue!

I recently put these in my Mercedes with zero issues.

7d07dd34dc3caef8d0c36ed1b25c9a53.jpg

Hello stranger!   :peek:

I saw those last night, but the site I was looking at said they were not CANBUS... you seem to have proved different  :think:

Hello stranger! :peek:

I saw those last night, but the site I was looking at said they were not CANBUS... you seem to have proved different :think:

How do :)

I'm only lurking as contemplating a 280 L&K next year.

Not sure why these work no issues. I tried some others and it threw the error straight away. But i saw them and being Osram I decided to give them a go.

• Like 1

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262146578216&alt=web

Better than osram. But a little expensive. Triton is very expensive and a little more work, but if u can use triton! Do it!!! If not use one of the two I linked to. :)

Just bought a pair of these Philips X-treme Vision LED’s from powerbulbs (currently have 20% off) for £31.16 delivered

As much as I would love to try the Tritons, @ over £100 for 2 indicator bulbs .... it’s never going to happen  :D

• 1 year later...

So, does someone know finally if any led is working for the indicators and the reverse light? Wich are the bulbs that originally have for the indicators and reverse light?

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2017 at 22:12, Speedman said:

I have recently fitted LED indicator and reverse light bulbs from the above link - straight bulb replacement and they look good.

just recently bought a superb Mk 3. thought about upgrading the rear indicators to LED. On looking how to change them there appears to be no obvious access to the internals of the rear light cluster.

How did you get access to the bulbs 

Cheers  Mitch

38 minutes ago, mitchec said:

just recently bought a superb Mk 3. thought about upgrading the rear indicators to LED. On looking how to change them there appears to be no obvious access to the internals of the rear light cluster.

How did you get access to the bulbs 

Cheers  Mitch

The rear light unit needs to come out, this is just two screws.

IMO they look much better when changed to LED:

I thought it would be difficult but was much easier than I thought. There is a good explanation in the manual, mine is an estate and there are a couple of alan key bolts to undo inside the tailgate and then the whole light fitting comes off the back of the car. Just unclip the cable, and give it a tug and it comes right off. Easy after that.

5 hours ago, Speedman said:

I thought it would be difficult but was much easier than I thought. There is a good explanation in the manual, mine is an estate and there are a couple of alan key bolts to undo inside the tailgate and then the whole light fitting comes off the back of the car. Just unclip the cable, and give it a tug and it comes right off. Easy after that.

Thanks. I hadn't noticed the details in the manual. Anyway I fitted the bulbs.  They are not very bright so i've put the originals back in until I find something better

Edited by mitchec