Columbus Sat Nav

Evening guys

I'm in the process of sourcing a columbus off a very nice meneber on here but can someone advice me as to how old software is and how I go about updating etc and how much..

Thanks Kelby

post-117861-0-68105500-1447625024_thumb.jpg

post-117861-0-64250500-1447625092_thumb.jpg

Edited by kjaybVrs

as a 2 partition unit now, can I upgrade to 3 partitions and V13 maps on this same unit as above??? Thanks

My understanding is that you can already install V13 maps as they should always work with factory firmware on the correct device.

The common problem is upgrading a 2 partition Columbus to the newer 3 partition firmware as there is no longer space for the newer maps. I think the stock partition layouts are:

- 15GB music, 15GB maps/poi for the 2 partition (50/50)

- 15GB music, 7.5GB maps, 7.5GB poi for the 3 partition (50/25/25)

The later units avoid the problem by using a larger 40GB drive but for 30GB units there is a modified firmware with a different partition layout. I think they typically use a 60/35/5 layout giving more space for both music and maps.

You can use the 60/35/5 partition on a 30gb drive with no issue. I did with my previous older unit. As langers mentions it was a bit flaky when reloading the maps with the 70/25/5 partition and the newer firmware (don't think it was 50/25/25 but it was defo 25% for the maps which was a bit tight).

Edited by adamal

Rustynuts -- as a 2 partition unit now, can I upgrade to 3 partitions and V13 maps on this same unit as above??? Thanks

Mike

As said, the maps will go on the unit as is with no issues, but speed cams and the embedded POI on the maps will not be available. The modified firmware with different sized partitions is a good idea for later maps on earlier units with the 30Gb hard drive. Or install a 40Gb hard drive to give more scope for playing.