Converting Yeti to sleeping room :)

coldplug

I did few nights in Yeti when wildcamping, to avoid setting up tent and it was just OK. Now, I have a plan to make sleeping in Yeti as comfortable as possible.

When all rear seats are removed, there is 100cm (39") of available width and 150cm (59") of length from back of boot door to the central rear vents console. When front seats are moved all the way forward, then full length is ~180cm (70") but because central vents console is always there that is not usable over whole width.

Now that is enough for me to sleep fully streched, at least on diagonal position and also legs can go under front seat easy when it is also lifted to upmost position. What I search now is some kind of mattress that will provide enough softness and thermal insulation from car's bottom.

The best idea I found is self inflating camping mattress like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-Self-Inflating-Mat-10cm/dp/B00639PSCM

However, this seem to be problem to find in suitable dimension that will fit into available space.

Does anybody have better idea? Any help will be welcome!

Edited by coldplug

Many years ago I met a woman with a 2CV she had removed the rear seats and front passengerseat

which had been made into a proper detachable bed. The space behind the drivers seat was wardrobe

space and the rest a detachable washing and cooking space. Everything was fed in or removed via

the detachable boot lid and could be used free standing as well.

Buy a foam mattress topper of your choice. Take it out of the zipped cover and cut down to size. You can then alter the cover if you wish/are handy. We have done this for use in our caravan where the mattress is not a standard size.

When not in use you should be able to roll it up and tie it with a couple of straps.

Colin

Buy a foam mattress topper of your choice. Take it out of the zipped cover and cut down to size. You can then alter the cover if you wish/are handy. We have done this for use in our caravan where the mattress is not a standard size.

When not in use you should be able to roll it up and tie it with a couple of straps.

Colin

This looks like good idea. I also forgot to add, probably someone will mention SwissRoom or something like that but no I don't need such comfort level neither I want to pay that much money so I search for simple solution and cutting foam mattress to size could be one of solutions.

I went again in garage and made new measurements. Well, if both front seats are slided all the way forward, backrests angled all the way forward and seats lifted all the way up, then there is pretty much big space behind (of course with rear seats left at home). The problem is central vents console (driver's armrest), BUT, if I manage to lift up rear seats/boot floor ~25cm and then fill legs space with something ~50cm high, then I would get whole floor full vehicle width and length of ~190cm that will be in level with central armrest! That would make the space very spacious and comfortable even for two persons, with heads forward and legs toward boot door. Then over all that, double sized inflatable mattress (190x140 cm) will fit perfectly!

Now the question is, how to lift floor ~25cm... I'm sure I will come up with something clever.... ideas are welcome!

Edited by coldplug

Why not make a box to fill the rear footwell space, and use the space inside it for storage?

Yes that was one of my thoughts and really very good one! But rest of back space will need ~25cm lift to match that level, another hard box there might not be best idea, but maybe.. in fact all that can go even higher without sacrifice of space, then all created "box space" can be used for storing various stuff needed for trip. Looks like some wood working in next months :)

Polystyrene foam would fill gaps , be light and provide insulation.

I've found blowup mattresses extremely cold at times, depending on what it's laying on in cold weather.

I've found blowup mattresses extremely cold at times, depending on what it's laying on in cold weather.

I find them uncomfortable too.

We use self inflating mattresses, they take a couple of breaths to fully inflate but are warm and comfortable.

I think it must be something like memory foam in them.

I have a 'looksharee' swag that rolls up but mimics an elongated igloo type oilskin tent when laid out.

I've sometimes wondered if it could be modified for a wagon style vehicle......it a bit bulky though.

cough cough

pity one requires a trailer to store the luggage in when sleeping, from someone who slept in the back of a Ford Galaxy bytimes.

And indeed a Skoda Octavia (a 1/2 sheet of 100mm thick Kingspan Polyurthane, being a perfect fit to fill the lower boot, dead level with the folded down rear seat backs.)

imho only for 1 night stops, in the absence of any other accomodation.

m

Edited by dieseldogg

An interesting project, I've slept in my Yeti several times whilst on long European trips and due to the awkward levels of the floor with seats removed and spare wheel housing end up just reclining the front passenger seat.

As far as mattresses are concerned it's worth going to a local upholsterers with the required measurements and getting some foam cut to shape and a cover made that you can remove to wash. A fitted solution that won't probably cost much more than cutting another mattress down to shape. I've known people to of done this before with bespoke seating and had really good results.

Edited by angrybeard

If you decide to look for a mattress, you might try HousekeepersHeaven - https://www.housekeepersheaven.co.uk/Scripts/default.asp.  They can supply odd sizes and shapes, with removable/washable covers (especially for caravans). 

Have you realised the OP is in Croatia?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...