LED tail light retrofit

Since the required VCDS adaptations for fitting rertofitting LED tail lights were posted recently, I thought I'd take the plunge and fit some. Ordered a left and right assembly from superskoda and today was to be the day hey would be fitted, except....

They don't come with the "bulb carrier", the black insert thing into the back of the cluster that hold the remaining bulbs (only the brake lights are LED). Arse.

So after much googleing I have the part numbers for the left and right carriers:

5E5945257A
5E5945258A

But I couldn't find anywhere to actually buy them. Does anyone here know of anywhere I might try, or would my local Skada dealer be able to order the parts for me at a not extortionate price? Also if anyone spots that these are the wrong parts for an octy 3 hatchback, I would be greatful to know!

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Like 1

The standard lights are stylish, is it really worth upgrading to LED?

Is it a value for money mod? Or is it done to 'tick a box'?

Before you shoot me down, I like modding as much as they next person, but I'm more into wheels and spoilers.

Only the Brake lights are LED?. Well I never knew that and Skoda's advertising LED me to believe otherwise. Sorry, unintentional pun.

The tail lights are LED as well - the double C shape.

The fog lights, indicators and reverse lights are still filament bulbs.

• Like 1

The standard lights are stylish, is it really worth upgrading to LED?

Is it a value for money mod? Or is it done to 'tick a box'?

Before you shoot me down, I like modding as much as they next person, but I'm more into wheels and spoilers.

The tail lights are significantly 'crisper' in the outline on the LED lights

With these dark evenings you notice the tail lights when you unlock the car.

My double C lights look so nice I thought they were LED.

Not when you put them next to a vRS or L&K they won't :)

I can spot the difference from quite a distance away when on the motorway at night. The standard lights 'blur' in to a less defined double C

Right, parts ordered from my friendly local dealer. Theye did ask if I was sure, since "these aren't the standard parts for you car", which I said was fine. £17.99 each.

Will update when I get them fitted....

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I collected the two bulb carriers today and fitting commenced!

Full list of required parts:

rear light clusters (Octavia hatchback LED):     5E5945111A, 5E5945112A

bulb carriers (Octavia hatchback LED variant): 5E5945257A, 5E5945258A

The first step after removing the light cluster (see owners manual) was removing the 5 screws that hold in the original bulb carrier so I could get at the bulbs. The bottom 3 bulbs (fog, indicator and reversing) were removed and placed into the new carrier. The connector for the LEDs from the new cluster was then plugged into the carrier, and the carrier attached using 4 of the 5 screws from the original carrier.

I then removed the foam sealing strip thing from around the external connector on the old carrier and stuck it to the new carrier. You may need to invest in some double sided tape depending on how sticky the foam is after removal. I'm presuming this foam is to maintain some kind of seal around the cable to keep things nice and clean/dry. I then inserted the new cluster into my car (after connecting the cable), and wiggled and pushed it around untill the two rubber ball things on the outside edge went into the holes properly.

Repeat for the cluster on the other side, do the VCDS magic described here, not forgetting to enable security access first (the code is 31347, VCDS should prompt and tell you anyway)!

They you can enjoy your new slightly nicer looking rear lights :)

• Like 2

Sounds great. I tried to option the LED tails when I ordered my car, but the factory changed specs before build and I couldn't get them anymore. Have been thinking of modding them...

• 6 months later...

So guys, if I understood correctly, I install the LED lights and then look at the table you have put.

The values ​​highlighted in orange vary depending on the options on the machine, the remaining values ​​are made equal to the table?

I'm sorry, but i'm italian boy, and i don't understand very well the english lenguage.

Thanks a lot to everyone

So guys, if I understood correctly, I install the LED lights and then look at the table you have put.

The values ​​highlighted in orange vary depending on the options on the machine, the remaining values ​​are made equal to the table?

I'm sorry, but i'm italian boy, and i don't understand very well the english lenguage.

Thanks a lot to everyone

Not quite

The first column is the adaptation channel you need to change

The second column is the original value for halogen tail lights

The third column is the value you need to change it to for LED tail lights. You do not have to change the values highlighted in orange if you don't want to, these are functions assigned to a lighting channel that you are changing the brightness to 0 of anyway, but for completeness I would change all of the values.

Not quite

The first column is the adaptation channel you need to change

The second column is the original value for halogen tail lights

The third column is the value you need to change it to for LED tail lights. You do not have to change the values highlighted in orange if you don't want to, these are functions assigned to a lighting channel that you are changing the brightness to 0 of anyway, but for completeness I would change all of the values.

So if I understand correctly, I copy the values ​​of the table and put them equal on the table of my car. correct? Another thing, where I find this table?

-Controller 09 - Central Electronics

-.....??

-.....??

thank you so much.

Controller 09 Zentralelektrik

Login: 31347

Adaption

Leuchte20BR LA71

Lasttyp 20

to "34 LED-Bremsleuchten" 

Lichtfunktion A20 

to  "Bremslicht" 

Dimmwert AB 20

to "100" 

Lichtfunktionen from B20 to H20

to "nicht aktiv"

Leuchte21BR RC8

Lasttyp 21

to "34 LED-Bremsleuchten"

Lichtfunktion A21

to "Bremslicht" 

Dimmwert AB 21

to "100" 

Lichtfunktionen from B21 to H21

to"nicht aktiv" 

Leuchte23SL HLC10

Lasttyp 23

to "32 allgemeine LED bis 12 W" 

Lichtfunktion A23

to "Standlicht allgemein" 

Lichtfunktion B23

to "Parklicht links" 

Dimmwert AB 23

to "100" 

Lichtfunktion C23

to "Coming Home oder Leaving Home aktiv" 

Dimmwert CD 23

to "100" 

Lichtfunktionen from D23 to H23

to "Nicht aktiv" 

Leuchte24SL HRA65

Lasttyp 24

to "32 allgemeine LED bis 12 W" 

Lichtfunktion A24

to "Standlicht allgemein" 

Lichtfunktion B24

to "Parklicht rechts" 

Dimmwert AB 24

to "100" 

Lichtfunktion C24

to "Coming Home oder Leaving Home aktiv" 

Dimmwert CD 24

to "100" 

Lichtfunktionen from D24 to H 24

to "Nicht aktiv" 

Leuchte26NSL LA72 (left rear fog light)

Lichtfunktion A26

to "Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt" 

Dimmwert AB26

to "100" 

Lichtfunktionen from B26 to H26

to "Nicht aktiv" 

Leuchte27NSL RC6 (right rear fog light 

Lichtfunktion A27

to "Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt" 

Dimmwert AB27

to "100" 

Lichtfunktionen from B27 to H27

to "Nicht aktiv" 

If you wish rear fog light only on one side, than you have to set on that side, that not should light all light functions to "nicht aktiv"

I hope you understand me :-) This instruction is my german instruction translated 

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2015 at 17:41, shakeyman said:

Right, I collected the two bulb carriers today and fitting commenced!

Full list of required parts:

rear light clusters (Octavia hatchback LED):     5E5945111A, 5E5945112A

bulb carriers (Octavia hatchback LED variant): 5E5945257A, 5E5945258A

The first step after removing the light cluster (see owners manual) was removing the 5 screws that hold in the original bulb carrier so I could get at the bulbs. The bottom 3 bulbs (fog, indicator and reversing) were removed and placed into the new carrier. The connector for the LEDs from the new cluster was then plugged into the carrier, and the carrier attached using 4 of the 5 screws from the original carrier.

I then removed the foam sealing strip thing from around the external connector on the old carrier and stuck it to the new carrier. You may need to invest in some double sided tape depending on how sticky the foam is after removal. I'm presuming this foam is to maintain some kind of seal around the cable to keep things nice and clean/dry. I then inserted the new cluster into my car (after connecting the cable), and wiggled and pushed it around untill the two rubber ball things on the outside edge went into the holes properly.

Repeat for the cluster on the other side, do the VCDS magic described here, not forgetting to enable security access first (the code is 31347, VCDS should prompt and tell you anyway)!

They you can enjoy your new slightly nicer looking rear lights :)

I followed this and purchased the 2 carriers from Skoda just short of £40 the pair seems the Combi is different and seem to just have an external loom instead 

so I now have the left and right carriers for the hatchback fresh from Skoda for sale at what I paid as I can’t return them as they were special order

just need to find out what loom I need instead