M1 lorry shunts: Police failed to attend call for three hours

DanHarper

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-34933345

2 wrongs don't make a right and all that but honestly, if you thought you're life was in danger from a lorry surly you'd just drive at 60mph and pull away from him? Hell if I thought I was in danger I may even push it to a dizzying 70mph!

What a tool... sounds like a proper road captain.

The lorry driver on the other hand... 10 year ban and a short(ish) stay in the pokey.

Been discussing this on another forum.

Yes the lorry was in the wrong BUT the middle lane driver had plenty of time to move over. He saw the lorry. He was selfish, inconsiderate and obviously wasn't paying attention. Indirectly, he was driving dangerously.

I somehow feel his comments are a bit exaggerated

he said he was about to move over when the lorry driver began to "intimidate" him.

and

an ambulance took him to hospital with neck and shoulder pain

Right,

No matter what the middle lane road captain was doing, whether they were in the right or wrong, it does not excuse what the lorry driver did in retaliation. The end.

Now they driver has a criminal record and will probably never drive a lorry again. I would love to ask him 'was it worth it?' Was it really worth the anger a frustration caused by the road user you side swiped on purpose?

What a weapon.

I hope the driver of the vehicle that was hit got a slap on the wrist too for lane hogging.

• Like 4

^^ agreed, and remember that these are supposedly "professional drivers".

I work in the transport / logistics industry as well as spending a large proportion of time on the roads, some of these drivers are far from professional.

No so in this case as the trailer was plain, but I've said it before, why would you drive round like an idiot with your employer details emblazoned for 40ft behind you, both sides!

Right,

No matter what the middle lane road captain was doing, whether they were in the right or wrong, it does not excuse what the lorry driver did in retaliation. The end.

Now they driver has a criminal record and will probably never drive a lorry again. I would love to ask him 'was it worth it?' Was it really worth the anger a frustration caused by the road user you side swiped on purpose?

What a weapon.

I hope the driver of the vehicle that was hit got a slap on the wrist too for lane hogging.

Agreed. 

But I still don't get why the car, much smaller, lighter, faster and nimble didn't just get the hell out of there. Its a motorway, he could go forward or backwards (by slowing down or stopping on the hard shoulder) as soon as the driver lost it and this whole thing would have ended with a few harsh words. Give a man a dash cam and he loses 10 or 1000s of years of learnt behavior that has kept a inferior physical specimen (humans) the dominant species.

• Like 2

The lorry driver behaved absolutely disgracefully, no question, throw the book at him.

The car driver is very far from innocent. Probably mile after mile of antagonising the lorry driver by refusing to pull over. Why the hell were his hazards on? Or is this himself acknowledging that he is one ;) SIX 999 calls? Its not an emergency situation just because he wanted the lorry driver nicked. If he "genuinely feared for his life" as he says then he would have found some space on the road and got away from the lorry. He should be charged with wasting police time imho.

Neither driver has a place on our roads imho.

"rammed" by a truck weighing upwards of 20T which managed to leave his ickle car with bumps and scrapes.

I've seen more damage done to a car by a kid with a football.

I think this is what happens when a ****** meets a fool on the roads.

[edit]

"Mr Stockdale, who runs a dashcam company"

Ah now it makes sense. It's an advert.

Edited by Aspman

Agreed. 

But I still don't get why the car, much smaller, lighter, faster and nimble didn't just get the hell out of there. Its a motorway, he could go forward or backwards (by slowing down or stopping on the hard shoulder) as soon as the driver lost it and this whole thing would have ended with a few harsh words. Give a man a dash cam and he loses 10 or 1000s of years of learnt behavior that has kept a inferior physical specimen (humans) the dominant species.

The car driver probably was antagonising the lorry driver and being a proper tw@. He too should have been punished.

But again, a professional driver should have just risen above it. Somebody could have been caught up in their accident and been killed.

If he "genuinely feared for his life" as he says then he would have found some space on the road and got away from the lorry. He should be charged with wasting police time imho.

The other week I witnessed a foreign hgv driver using all 3 lanes of the motorway in excess of the 50 mph temporary limit (similarly that was on M1 Northamptonshire). He was dangerous. I stayed with him whilst I called the Police, passed on his details then got the f**k out of the way.

Morons, the both of them.

The leader of the MLOC and the pretend police society should lose his licence for the bad driving.

I'd be interested to see more on what happened, because the guy could have deliberately dropped a gear, not had any brake lights or just been a tool.

A lorry is limited to 56/60 and even if it wasn't a car can always pull away.

If the guy was in fear for his life, he should have accelerated away and pulled off at a junction, before calling the police.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Morons, the both of them.

The leader of the MLOC and the pretend police society should lose his licence for the bad driving.

I'd be interested to see more on what happened, because the guy could have deliberately dropped a gear, not had any brake lights or just been a tool.

A lorry is limited to 56/60 and even if it wasn't a car can always pull away.

If the guy was in fear for his life, he should have accelerated away and pulled off at a junction, before calling the police.

He wouldn't have got all that lovely camera footage though would he.

He wouldn't have got all that lovely camera footage though would he.

I wonder if the G sensors show what really happened?

Cameras give this tool and similar tools on push bikes and motorbikes some sort of ability to turn off their brain and go looking for trouble so they can be a self righteous internet warrior.

• Like 1

"The former special constable" That doesn't know how to drive for a start. He was going around 50 in the middle lane. Wagons do more in the slow lane so why the hell was he ever in the middle to start with? Then there's the fact that he owns a dash-cam company, clearly pointed out to advertise as stated above. He should have his licence removed for a start.

Then there's the wagon driver. Employed through an agency. Yeah, and probably brought in from another country too, no knowledge of our rules and no consideration for our people. Total sh!t in every respect of the word. Both drivers want their licences taking away and the wagon driver wants a stretch in jail, lets call it attempted murder and dangerous driving.

Ha ha. What a ****. First of all he weaves into the inside right lane from the middle lane, then moves back to the middle lane to overtake the lorry, then clearly disregards the huge lane-merges arrows.

Ha ha. What a ****. First of all he weaves into the inside right lane from the middle lane, then moves back to the middle lane to overtake the lorry, then clearly disregards the huge lane-merges arrows.

Video looks like a set up to me. I bet he spent ages going back over that route until he got himself in a position to film it and get his piece ready for the paper. He clearly already knew of the risks of the junction after seeing it happen to someone else so why would he blindly bumble along the exact same course?

Video looks like a set up to me. I bet he spent ages going back over that route until he got himself in a position to film it and get his piece ready for the paper. He clearly already knew of the risks of the junction after seeing it happen to someone else so why would he blindly bumble along the exact same course?

Exactly this.

I know the roundabout well, I've never seen an incident like the one Mr Stockdale placed himself in.

What a muppet.

Comments seem to have the measure of him.

I see there he is a "road safety campaigner".

'Campaigner', that's a euphemism for **** isn't it?

• Like 1

"The former special constable" That doesn't know how to drive for a start. He was going around 50 in the middle lane. Wagons do more in the slow lane so why the hell was he ever in the middle to start with? Then there's the fact that he owns a dash-cam company, clearly pointed out to advertise as stated above. He should have his licence removed for a start.

Then there's the wagon driver. Employed through an agency. Yeah, and probably brought in from another country too, no knowledge of our rules and no consideration for our people. Total **** in every respect of the word. Both drivers want their licences taking away and the wagon driver wants a stretch in jail, lets call it attempted murder and dangerous driving.

I agree, but just because the lorry driver was employed through an agency doesn't automatically mean he is a poor driver.