Hill Hold/Auto Hold

Has anybody had issue with the electronic hand brake not releasing?

Over the last 50 miles or so mine has failed to release 3-4 times. I think only the green (P) is on at the time since it has always been when pulling away from a junction. You can give it loads of revs but nothing happens other than the clutch smelling a bit warm.

Obviously isn't right but I want to go to Skoda with a few less variables so they can at least recreate the issue.

Certainty never happened to me... Sounds like a definite fault.

Hill hold control is standard on the SEL-exec but you can still spec it for £100. so Jaytip looks like you are right. 

From the latest brochure: 

Hill-hold control Standard with DSG transmission - otherwise £100.

Standard from S onwards: ESC inc. ABS, EBV, MSR, ASR, EDS, HBA, DSR, RBS, CBC, multi-collison brake (MKB) & Autohold

• Like 1

I found out that the car won't release the "handbrake" of you try and move the car with a door (drivers door at least) open or not fully shut but had no issue so far with it playing up on open road.

Over the last 50 miles or so mine has failed to release 3-4 times. I think only the green (P) is on at the time since it has always been when pulling away from a junction. You can give it loads of revs but nothing happens other than the clutch smelling a bit warm.

Obviously isn't right but I want to go to Skoda with a few less variables so they can at least recreate the issue.

I've had this, you're not alone.

It really is just like you have your handbrake on really tight and try to pull away, and it was definitely with the green light on the dash too.

It's happened a few times and I've found that if I dip the clutch and try again, it then releases.

If you find a reason for it, please share. I did wonder if it was because I was on a slope, so the brake was applied with more force, maybe?

I found out that the car won't release the "handbrake" of you try and move the car with a door (drivers door at least) open or not fully shut but had no issue so far with it playing up on open road.

... and bloody annoying it is too if you open the door to see how close to the curb etc you are!

Other than that I love it.

Actually just thought of another thing that annoys me about the auto hold... I wish the brake lights went off after say 5 seconds, as I find I ‘have to’ put the handbrake on so the LED brake lights are not blinding the person behind (it’s a pity more people do not think about the people behind them!  :swear:  )

I've had this, you're not alone.

It really is just like you have your handbrake on really tight and try to pull away, and it was definitely with the green light on the dash too.

It's happened a few times and I've found that if I dip the clutch and try again, it then releases.

I wonder what the solution would be for auto drivers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

... and bloody annoying it is too if you open the door to see how close to the curb etc you are!

Agreed. Odd that it lets you drive off without a seatbelt but not with the door open.

Once the car is stopped & you have your foot on the brake it should apply automatically. Check the 'A' button left of the gear stick to make sure it isn't turned off (like the stop/start button)

• Like 1

Here is what the manual says

The activation and deactivation of the system is done by pressing the symbol key  Fig. 173.

When the system is activated, the symbol  illuminates.

After switching off and switching on the ignition system several times the system remains either activated or deactivated depending on the last setting.

Actually just thought of another thing that annoys me about the auto hold... I wish the brake lights went off after say 5 seconds, as I find I ‘have to’ put the handbrake on so the LED brake lights are not blinding the person behind (it’s a pity more people do not think about the people behind them!  :swear:  )

That is probably a safety feature so that people coming from behind can spot your car better. Especially in fog or blizzard might make a difference in you staying healthy or not. Of course this doesn't apply if there already is a car stationary behind you. I agree that modern led tail lights are very bright and not very nice to look at a close distance for longer periods.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this issue yesterday for the first time. Now covered 1000 miles. Happened a couple of times when parking up. It released in a short time but not quick enough when I am putting my foot on the accelerator and car isn't moving I start thinking what's wrong? Then it released and I was like OK maybe something I didn't do correctly but the second time I realised it had stuck on a bit. Letting of the accelerator and re-applying got the auto-hold releasing. At the moment 99% it's fine so there's no point going to dealer becuase there's not much chance of it happening being witnessed by a technician so for the moment I will keep an eye on it.

If anyone is having this issue and trying to get a fix from the dealer let me know how you get on.

Edited by l4wrence

After getting on towards 1900 miles, can't report any issue, but TBH, I don't use the electronic handbrake, just apply foot brake when stopped and release to apply auto hold. When I stop the car and turn off the ignition, I assume it applies the handbrake proper but no issue releasing next time I drive off. Just the issue mentioned previously, it won't release if you have a door open.

Edited by Leeboy

After getting on towards 1900 miles, can't report any issue, but TBH, I don't use the electronic handbrake, just apply foot brake when stopped and release to apply auto hold. When I stop the car and turn off the ignition, I assume it applies the handbrake proper but no issue releasing next time I drive off. Just the issue mentioned previously, it won't release if you have a door open.

That's pretty much how I use it too. 5500 miles done and no issues encountered.

Think i may have seen this once so far. I put the car in reverse when manoeuvring and touched the throttle but didn't move backwards. scared to press the gas harder for fear of shooting backwards i put it back in drive then tried again with no problem.

it was raining, visibility was bad, the car was cold and I just put it down to me doing something wrong... but it behaved like a stuck on handbrake.

Likewise to #46. I have noticed that for slow speed moves it often feels as though the brake has not released fully if at all. My driveway is on a slope which means that when doing a 3 pointer I might be moving uphill for the first move. I had one or two occasions where I put my foot down only to find the car didnt move at first and then leapt forward as either the DSG fully engaged or the brake came off. I have resorted to making sure that both auto hold and the elec hand brake are off before I try to move in such cases.

I use the auto hold for all other driving except slow speed manouevring and have had no problems.

• Like 1

Are the auto hold problems people are reporting all on cars with dsg gearboxes? Mine is a manual and I honestly can't fault it. Thought I would hate it but have not pressed the button once in 2.5k, it all works perfectly.

• 7 months later...

I love the auto-hold braking facility on my Manual MkIII L&K. Can't remember the last time I touched the "handbrake" switch.

I paid the extra for the Hill Hold function but I'm not so sure about that.

At one certain junction in my home town there is a set of traffic lights in the middle of a short, very sharp incline where a side road meets a main 3 lane road. The lights have a very short green period so you have to be quick when they change.If you are first at the lights the cars behind tend to stop very close behind.

I stop at the lights and apply the footbrake, autohold kicks in no problem.A few times now my heart has been in my mouth when the car has rolled backwards when I press the clutch to engage gear before I've reached the point where the clutch engages. I don't have my foot on the brake at the time.

Am I getting the sequence wrong? Shouldn't hill hold give me 2 seconds from the brake disengaging to the brakes actually releasing the car? Or does that only happen from a footbrake release rather than from auto-hold release?