Budget lowering, coilovers or springs?

AdamOP94

I need the get rid of that dreaded arch gap, some handling improvements are also welcome.

I do like to give it some round bends so handling improvements would be great, I've been in low cars and I can't think of a time or felt uncomfortable... And I'm getting noises from my left front strut anyway.

As such, I'm thinking JOM coilovers, can get rid of the gap, cheap and a lot of people they're good for the money. Eibach springs seem to be the alternative for 200 quid, but if I suspect my strut is damaged anyway then I'd need struts as well and that bumps the price up more.

Not looking at upping the value of my car, I've done the exhaust myself to save 300 on a cat back system so I don't want to spend 500 on coilovers if I can grab some decent working ones for 200.

Etc etc basically what's my beat options for around 200

Don't touch jom if u want drive quality jom are good value for money but a rough ride and quite nosiey over speed bumps etc as someone said crashy. Don't get me wrong for a budget there good. But u get what u pay for as of performace they won't improve anytging higher budget would be required.plus u will more than likely require shorter front anti roll bar link arms this depends on how low u go

My self I'd always go shocks and spring combo u can pick up good quilts under 350 and improve performance and ride quilts can actually improve.

Just lowering springs my slef I'd stay away from due to your standard shocks will where out quicker and have less preload in them as the car is sat lower.

Budget is the big question plus.what do you want

If after all out low coilovers but poor performance but higher budget will be all out better

Ride quality shocks and springs combo plus gain performace.

On the very cheep juat springs

Joms are absolutely ****ing terrible they lower the car that's about it, crashy and bouncy and I smashed a sump due to rebound and it wasn't that low, best bang per buck ap's! If you searched you'll have seen many people saying this.

➕ 1 for the above comment.

Joms are not great value for money their just cheap the two is not the same.

It depends what you want really, if you just want your car to look better then go for the joms. If want your car to look better plus go around corners better then get ap's.

My APs cost £350 new from dpm performance and they are very good, give a nice drop and handle very well even without an ARB. I cant compare them to joms as havent ever used them however looking at comments above its easy to make a guess :P

Andy

35/30m shocks and springs over the JOM coilovers?

I've seen 30mm and I would probably want it more like 40mm lower, but if you guys say the AP 35/30mm are the best option I'm going to listen.

Basically....

AP coilovers are fantastic mid range, they are around £370 and that's that.

AP also sell shocks and springs, none adjustable but obviously lower than standard for around £260

Jom coilovers will lower the car so pretty much any hight you want but are bouncy, they cost £200

• Like 1

Define bouncy? I'll probably got for the AP £256 because you guys know what you're on about, but I don't think I'd have an issue with this lack of quality drive using JOMS, anyone in the midlands got some and can take me for a test drive haha!?

I found Joms fine around the doors, didn't notice anything really that bad.

Motorway driving however was bouncy, if the road wasn't 100% flat or smooth you could bounce up and hit the head cloth... With the smallest change in road surface.

I think all the people saying APs are referring to the coilovers, not the spring and shock combo. I've never tried them so can't compare either, sorry!

£200 is or lower is fine if looks are all that you are interested in. If anyone else ever sits in the car or you use it for longer journeys, forget it.

Also question: Is that £200 including fitting? If not, then you've another wedge to spend on that. With the current weather/season, I'd continue to save until spring, then do better than £200. At the moment, the most I'd do with £200 on suspension, is fit a Whieline rear ARB.... And only if I'd already got decent tyres all round.

J.

I have the standard spring/shocks AP kit and its very good.

Removes a large amount of the arch gap, provides a nice stance and rides pretty good.

Much better than dirt cheap coilovers from what i've read.