What does your temperature gauge sit at?

Dazza95

For as long as I can remember, my temperature gauge seems to sit just below the 90ºc mark, is this considered normal?

I've not had any problems, just curious. Looking at some photos on here, it would seem that the gauge usually sits at exactly 90ºc. I've read about the coolant temperature sensor but I don't really have any symptoms with the reading fluctuating etc. It is slow to warm up though; on a cold day, it takes anywhere between 10-15 minutes driving with limited stops before I start to get warm air from the heater but I believe that's normal.

Same model, once properly warmed sits spot on centre. Always has. Are you certain, that you are not looking at guage on a warm engine after not moving ,for a short period, with heater on . Diesels do not stay warm when not working ( i.e not moving =not working),for very long.

Thermostat ever been changed?

Not since I've owned it. Could it be sticking open slightly?

Same model, once properly warmed sits spot on centre. Always has. Are you certain, that you are not looking at guage on a warm engine after not moving ,for a short period, with heater on . Diesels do not stay warm when not working ( i.e not moving =not working),for very long.

Nope, I'm rarely sat idle. It's the same whatever the weather. I'll try get a photo tomorrow.

Edited by Dazza95

Not since I've owned it. Could it be sticking open slightly?

I would think it's worth changing at 11 years old, just in case it is TBH (especially if you can DIY it and avoid any labour cost).  They don't last forever. Could make for a more comfortable winter if it does improve the rate of warm-up.

I would think it's worth changing at 11 years old, just in case it is TBH (especially if you can DIY it and avoid any labour cost). They don't last forever. Could make for a more comfortable winter if it does improve the rate of warm-up.

What does it involve? I wouldn't mind having a go myself if it's not too complicated. I do all my oil and filter changes myself and I've got a fair few tools etc.

Mine sits just below the half way point has done for the last 18 months never had any problems with it but like said if sat idling it does start to drop but while driving it's fine

I have only ever witnessed it dropping once in very cold and windy weather whilst sat in traffic. But yes you'll never get the car to warm up jut sat idle.

What does it involve? I wouldn't mind having a go myself if it's not too complicated. I do all my oil and filter changes myself and I've got a fair few tools etc.

Draining coolant, then a couple of screws to undo on the elbow under which it lives:

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/power_unit/1.4/51;_55;_59_kw_tdi_pd_engine/engine_cooling/cooling_system/removing_and_installing_coolant_regulator/

That suggests the alternator is too much in the way, and first needs to be removed which is a shame if true.

• Like 1

I have only ever witnessed it dropping once in very cold and windy weather whilst sat in traffic. But yes you'll never get the car to warm up jut sat idle.

I only noticed it when I used to pick a few mates up for work in the mornings last winter and I'd be sat for 5-10 just idling car had barely warmed up at this point

• Like 1

Draining coolant, then a couple of screws to undo on the elbow under which it lives:

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/power_unit/1.4/51;_55;_59_kw_tdi_pd_engine/engine_cooling/cooling_system/removing_and_installing_coolant_regulator/

That suggests the alternator is too much in the way, and first needs to be removed which is a shame if true.

Cheers, I'll have a look this weekend to see how much room there is. Will be a while before I can actually do the work though with Christmas round the corner.  Even a slight improvement in the warm-up time would be great.

I've not seen a derv car/van ,where the needle doesn't sit in the middle, ONCE properly warmed up, but derv engines do not retain the heat if sat idling. I used to do a lot of night standby cover years ago, in a Transit, LWB,Hi top .First rule was to go for a decent run to get the engine warmed up. Next rule ,as I  found out the hard way, was to keep the heater speed low, as if the temperature dropped, the engine would start to cool. On occasions, we had to go for a few mile run,mid shift to re heat the engine/heater.

• 1 month later...

I had a quick look on Saturday whilst I was doing an oil change...I've decided to leave it until the weather improves, if I'm honest, I could barely see it and decided it would be too much hassle if anything went wrong! Thanks for your help anyway, I will be revisting this at some point.

Edited by Dazza95
  • Like 1