Kenwood Satnav Owners Club

fabiagn

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kenwood supplied a booster which fixed the TMC in my wife's Polo.

Ref map updates:  Garmin tell me that an update is available: City Navigator® Europe NTU 2017-Kenwood MSD

Kenwood acknowledge this but say it is not available online. I contacted my local Kenwood Dealer - he hasn't got it and can't get it!

Garmin also tell me "This is the last available mapping for your device."

The device is only 18 months old but the maps can't be updated. I feel it was sold under false pretences. Thoughts?

I could not possibly condone using map updates other than those from an official source. However, when that official source appears to be unwilling or unable to provide those updates, for a device for which they charge a considerable amount of money, one might find that Googling for "Kenwood SD28E EU NTU 2018.20" provides an interesting result...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Never believe a dealer when they say you can just update them from "the internet"...  My built in sat nav is the GVN60.

Thank you so much for all the help and advice on this thread, I don't think I would have managed to update it on my fabia it without you!

To summarise what I've discovered: 
* You will need an SD card(s) to update your GVN-60 sat nav, both firmware and map.

* The SD card slot in the glovebox is for the infotainment system, not the sat nav.

* The location of the GVN 60 box, which accepts standard size SD cards varies and depends on the installer.
* Instructions are found here.

* You might be able to have an idea where it is installed by peeking behind the 12V / USB panel.  This is achieved by pulling down the fascia of the aircon controls (non-climate) then simply pulling down the 12V / USB panel.  Replacing is also tool free.  If the installation is per instructions you might be able to get at the GVN60 module to update it from there.
* I saw the interface module but no GVN 60 and assumed they'd put it in the wrong place.  Using a T-20 (star shaped bit) I took off the screw on the center console found in the passenger side footwell, and found the GVN60 tucked in the side.  One screw for an update wasn't bad I thought!
* The SD card slot on the GVN60 module is accessed by opening up a side panel on the side of the unit, mine was a bit stiff to open. The instructions are found here.  The GVN60 box is the size of a fat mobile phone.

Options for upgrading the map:
* Specific map updates for this sat nav have been discontinued by Kenwood, you still have options, however.
* You can buy an SD card from the internet with maps pre-installed, but you still might have to upgrade the firmware anyway, found here. The file is called GVN60,KWEU_270 ,which is currently the latest (last?) update.
* You will need a standard size SD card for the map and firmware upgrade, I used a 16GB one.  SDHC 90MB/s. A small capacity one would be enough for firmware only.

* This map for UK only is available to buy and has been reported to be compatible with the GVN60.  I have not tried it, however.

* As reported by other users, the name of the map you require is called Kenwood SD28E EU NTU 2018.20.  Google seems to like a search on this term "Kenwood KNA SD28E Map Update - CN Europe NTU 2018.20 gps"

* You can load both the extracted update, GVN60,KWEU_270, and your new map onto the SD card and your GVN60 will both update and give you access to the new maps.  This takes several minutes.

* *.rar files are extracted using 7-zip, which is free. 

Voila.  The current firmware is version 2.7.

I got a 2017 map update from Garmin which was installed successfully last November. Had to go to the dealer to locate the unit which as others have said was located in the passenger footwell, remove one screw and it drops down from behind the panel.

All was working well until last week when the unit seems to have reverted back to the default 2015.  I know this because a new local bypass road which wasn't on the 2015 maps but is on the 2017 update has now disappeared!  Contacted Kenwood who can't offer any solution, tried removing and reinstalling the SD card which shows the unit updating and the installed maps screen shows the correct 2017 maps installed but new road still not showing on screen. Now have to take the car into my local dealer, very inconvenient.

Like others have also reported I have had instances where the unit has lost satellite signal.  According to Kenwood's installation instructions the aerial should be fitted somewhere visible to the sky, probably on top of the dashboard rather than buried somewhere inside the dashboard.  

I thank Skoda should have been more careful in recommending a sat nav system which is barely fit for purpose and doesn't do their excellent quality reputation any good at all.  I also get the impression that the dealers are not happy having to sort out problems caused by third-party supplied equipment.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys, I'm new here (sorry to revive an old thread but it's still very much relevant) and have just bought a system with the GVN60 built in (unknown to the salesman and me until yesterday!) I've almost successfully followed BeckiKeiko's great guide above, however when I try to update the maps, they disappear if I remove the SD card. Does the SD have to stay in for these to work or can it be copied to the device? 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 02/01/2019 at 14:25, posty07 said:

Hi Paul, I think you're right. Thanks for the reply.

I've found the best way to actually update most things on it is to plug it in and get Garmin express running, updates voice files and allows add-ons from the shop

Hi - do you mean you can connect a laptop directly to the GVN60 via USB cable (I saw the device has a mini USB port under the cover)?  Have you got Garmin express to recognise it and what can you do with it?  Keen to try this (and perhaps run a cable permanently into the glovebox), if this supports regular updates.

pS I have a mk7 Gold and cannot get the TMC to ever work despite being in central London and the antenna is run correctly around door pillar.  V annoyingly!!

19 minutes ago, BMG1969 said:

Hi - do you mean you can connect a laptop directly to the GVN60 via USB cable (I saw the device has a mini USB port under the cover)?  Have you got Garmin express to recognise it and what can you do with it?  Keen to try this (and perhaps run a cable permanently into the glovebox), if this supports regular updates.

pS I have a mk7 Gold and cannot get the TMC to ever work despite being in central London and the antenna is run correctly around door pillar.  V annoyingly!!

Hi, yeah exactly like that, Garmin express regognises it correctly and allows voice files and extras to be installed. There is also an official map to update to but costs £50

I don't get any traffic really either which is a pain, don't think it supports it very well. Always says low signal or that there is no traffic on route (usually while stuck in traffic)

Good luck, let me know how you get on!

• 1 month later...

Hi has anybody got the maps from the uploaded site were you have to pay for faster download speeds and is it safe. With regards to traffic mine was the same and a signal booster was fitted never had a problem since.Anybody put speed cameras on theres

15 minutes ago, Mollysman said:

Hi has anybody got the maps from the uploaded site were you have to pay for faster download speeds and is it safe. With regards to traffic mine was the same and a signal booster was fitted never had a problem since.Anybody put speed cameras on theres

Hi, yes I paid for this site: www.deepbrid.com which worked a treat

• 2 weeks later...

Further to Posty07s excellent advice I today ran a USB cable permanently from the GVN-60W into the glovebox.  Assuming I can park within WiFi range of the house I now get to update the device using Garmin Express on my laptop.  It updated firmware to the latest 2.80 and gave some other free stuff (car images, language files, dashboards etc - nothing major).  Through Garmin Express you are invited to spend £50 on 2018 map update and £45 on traffic subscription.

You won't need the maps through this route if you have already downloaded them to an SD card (see post above).  I found that the GVN60-W would not read a 64GB SD card, but it was fine with a FAT32 formatted 16GB card.  You have to leave the card in the slot.

In an attempt to get the TMC traffic working I emailed Kenwood for the antenna booster and they sent me one for free (see image - note this is for a 2015 Golf Mk7) which I also fitted today.  I also opted to take a traffic subscription via the Garmin Express £45 link above, but this was a mistake and did not work.  Still no traffic subscription and no signal - will let you know if I resolve this.

file-31.jpeg

Hopefully useful for somebody to know that this does all work!  The Garmin traffic subscription purchase took a few hours to process their end but it eventually appeared in my Garmin account and I could register with the ID of my GVN-60W.  As soon as the traffic subscription was in place the traffic started showing, so the antenna booster above obviously works well.  

file1-1.jpeg

file-32.jpeg

file2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, fabiagn said:

anyone got PDF versions of:

-User manual for this satnav GVN60 / MIB1

-PDF info flyer sheet of the satnav

cheers

Gus

Gus, you have mail!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Posty07s  advice:  I ran a USB cable permanently from the GVN-60, however using Garmin Express failed to find the device. Oddly there was no SD card in the GVN60 black unit. I know I need a Garmin system update which I downloaded anyway via the Garmin/Kenwood web page. Express states I need to add the system SD card? A new map is what I need and I read the earlier post regarding location.

Bit puzzled at the moment!

Add SD card to unit with Updates (assume Garmin folder?), if so what is Express doing?

Thanks

52 minutes ago, Philbill said:

Posty07s  advice:  I ran a USB cable permanently from the GVN-60, however using Garmin Express failed to find the device. Oddly there was no SD card in the GVN60 black unit. I know I need a Garmin system update which I downloaded anyway via the Garmin/Kenwood web page. Express states I need to add the system SD card? A new map is what I need and I read the earlier post regarding location.

Bit puzzled at the moment!

Add SD card to unit with Updates (assume Garmin folder?), if so what is Express doing?

Thanks

I'm sure you have to have the system SD card inserted into black box to upload any updates.

Thanks pauldazzle,

I updated the system ok via SD card, then added latest maps to SD card. Done! I then removed the SD card to see what maps were there and it reverts to system (?) loaded 2016 maps. All good with card loaded. Makes my Mio stick on the screen satnav look advanced. Garmin overdo the countdown to the next event (roundabout/junction) starting at 1.1 miles or more, the Mio states 'in 500 yards'.....

With GVN still get loss of satellite signal under open skies however.

Anyone seen any later maps yet?

Thanks for all the info.

• 1 month later...

Our Octavia is being part exchanged soon, so I have carefully removed the Kenwood Garmin sat nav and all the cables. I've got the original box and fitting instructions also. If anyone is interested PM me, I'm looking for £120 including UK mainland insured postage. Thanks

On 28/05/2019 at 13:10, glosrich said:

Our Octavia is being part exchanged soon, so I have carefully removed the Kenwood Garmin sat nav and all the cables. I've got the original box and fitting instructions also. If anyone is interested PM me, I'm looking for £120 including UK mainland insured postage. Thanks

Now sold.