Kenwood Satnav Owners Club

fabiagn

Hi, Ive just joined this group. Good to see other people with Kenwood Navs. I recently spent the £599 to upgrade our Superb Nav.

Fitted behind the glovebox (which has to be removed to update) Happy with the nav but no traffic. Took it back to Skoda to rectify. They knew nothing about the unit and didn't seem to know that TMC should be working. Its been back twice now and had a VHF booster fitted. I still get poor reception or no signal all the time. The VHF antenna is fitted up the left door frame as per Skoda instructions. I suspect that the antenna is in the wrong place and should have been routed along the windscreen. I now have made a formal complaint as £600 is a lot of money for something my phone GPS app does for free. Anyone any ideas. I do want this to work, as the Superb is as it is aptly named, a superb car.

Edited by popski

On 03/07/2017 at 08:38, petdeb said:

Mine is the Kenwood GVN60 with Garmin Maps.  Recently a message came on the screen to say the Maps were out of date, then the Nav would not work.  After a week it began to work again but the Map Graphics did not look the same.  When I bought the car new I was told that updates could be downloaded on the internet, but both myself and the Dealership have now given up on that.  I've contacted Kenwood by email but they are unhelpful and they said go back to the dealer.  Now Kenwood will not answer my emails.  I've looked on the Garmin site and it says go to Kenwood, but Kenwood does not have any Maps to download on their site.  It's a very sad state of affairs that Kenwood take more than £500 for the upgrade, but then give such terrible service.  I've tried contacting them on their Facebook Page but although they sent a message that they would get back to me they haven't.

This my last email to Kenwood, but no reply from them.

I’m absolutely perplexed by my situation and am now very regretting having bought your device.  May I take you you through my predicament.

1.  The Navigation stopped to say my maps are out of date and then stopped working for about a week. 

2. When it commenced to work again the appearance of the maps looked to be different.   Every now and again I get a message which says my maps are out of date and to go to Garmin.com.

3.  When I go to Garmin.com it says for maps go to Kenwood.com.  When I do this it says there are no map updates available.

4.  It says I need to update the software first, but when I download what it says is the appropriate software my GVN60 fails to recognise it. 

4.  I contacted you by email and you say go back to the dealer who sold you the car and Kenwood upgrade.

5.  They are as perplexed as I am and have tried to obtain advice from you but you fob them off.

6.  I now have a extremely expensive Kenwood device which does not function properly, but am unable to gain any interest from Kenwood to resolve the problem. 

7.  May I say that your instructions on downloading and installing new device software does not work and needed to tested by the author with a inexperienced user before presenting it to the public. 

I hope you can be more helpful. 

Not had this on mine, so hope you sort it out. Let us know what happens.

Maybe Skoda Customer Services is the next place to try, as it is an approved accessory.

Not had mine for 1 year yet, so I hope it doesnt do the same soon...

Edited by glosrich

On 03/07/2017 at 09:27, pauldazzle said:

Updated our maps a couple months ago without issue! & free.

Please can you tell us how you did it?

3 hours ago, popski said:

Hi, Ive just joined this group. Good to see other people with Kenwood Navs. I recently spent the £599 to upgrade our Superb Nav.

Fitted behind the glovebox (which has to be removed to update) Happy with the nav but no traffic. Took it back to Skoda to rectify. They knew nothing about the unit and didn't seem to know that TMC should be working. Its been back twice now and had a VHF booster fitted. I still get poor reception or no signal all the time. The VHF antenna is fitted up the left door frame as per Skoda instructions. I suspect that the antenna is in the wrong place and should have been routed along the windscreen. I now have made a formal complaint as £600 is a lot of money for something my phone GPS app does for free. Anyone any ideas. I do want this to work, as the Superb is as it is aptly named, a superb car.

Strange the TMC doesnt work, is there good coverage in your area?

Mine is generally ok, but in some areas I lose reception.

And have you activated the TMC by calling Garmin and getting a licence code?

3 minutes ago, glosrich said:

Please can you tell us how you did it?

Like I said I've been back to the Main Skoda Dealership I bought the car from and they too have no answers.  When I bought the car I was told software and maps could be downloaded for free off the internet.  That proved to be wrong and from what I see, map upgrades cost a great deal of money, that's if you can find them anywhere.  I've located a seller abroad who is very reasonable and will try one of theirs to see if it will work.   Kenwood have so far been a complete waste of time.  It cost a lot of money to have the Kenwood upgrade fitted, so it is very disappointing to find there is no service afterwards.  They just answered my email today, but have not come up with any answers so far.        

24 minutes ago, glosrich said:

Strange the TMC doesnt work, is there good coverage in your area?

Mine is generally ok, but in some areas I lose reception.

And have you activated the TMC by calling Garmin and getting a licence code?

Yep activated ok after I spoke to garmin/Kenwood  help line. Maybe its the local coverage. Got nothing on the drive back from the dealer but I did get a signal this morning as I was driving. Will test it out on s longer journey this week.

36 minutes ago, petdeb said:

Like I said I've been back to the Main Skoda Dealership I bought the car from and they too have no answers.  When I bought the car I was told software and maps could be downloaded for free off the internet.  That proved to be wrong and from what I see, map upgrades cost a great deal of money, that's if you can find them anywhere.  I've located a seller abroad who is very reasonable and will try one of theirs to see if it will work.   Kenwood have so far been a complete waste of time.  It cost a lot of money to have the Kenwood upgrade fitted, so it is very disappointing to find there is no service afterwards.  They just answered my email today, but have not come up with any answers so far.        

Try Skoda Customer Services, them number is on skoda.co.uk 

Pleased I only paid £120 for mine.

21 minutes ago, popski said:

Yep activated ok after I spoke to garmin/Kenwood  help line. Maybe its the local coverage. Got nothing on the drive back from the dealer but I did get a signal this morning as I was driving. Will test it out on s longer journey this week.

Coverage away from cities and off motorways and main trunk roads is limited.

Just now, glosrich said:

Coverage away from cities and off motorways and main trunk roads is limited.

That maybe explains the lack of signal yesterday. After three trips to the main dealers I was fuming :angry:. Maybe they had finally sorted the problem out. I had had no signal...even whilst driving around London previously. Have you had the GVN 60 TMC redirect you as it promises with Traffic congestion? I do find this really low tech compared to what is available on our phones. I've used copilot live for a few years and it has been excellent. Traffic avoidance was available for about £10 a year. Unfortunately the new car didn't integrate with it.

2 minutes ago, popski said:

That maybe explains the lack of signal yesterday. After three trips to the main dealers I was fuming :angry:. Maybe they had finally sorted the problem out. I had had no signal...even whilst driving around London previously. Have you had the GVN 60 TMC redirect you as it promises with Traffic congestion? I do find this really low tech compared to what is available on our phones. I've used copilot live for a few years and it has been excellent. Traffic avoidance was available for about £10 a year. Unfortunately the new car didn't integrate with it.

I don't use it that much unfortunately, its only for the odd family trip once a month or so, or maybe business a couple of times a year, hence I didnt mind getting it for a special discount at £120.

It does pop up on the right hand side detailing where the congestion is, and there is a button to re-route.

£120...bargain!

I'm sure the other stuff will have to sort out. A bit niggled that the SD card needs the glove box off...5 screws so maybe not too bad. The mapping upgrades will come or Skoda will be legally libel under the sale of goods act. And £600 is a good reason and cost for a legal challenge if it doesn't sort it out. Its their job to sort it out as our contract is with them. Skoda customer service I found quite helpful.

What I've found out from the Skoda Dealership, is that the SD slot in the glove box is only for Media such as music and is not to upgrade the Kenwood Software.  The SD slot for doing upgrades is in the unit itself and the Glove Box needs to be removed to get at it.  That said, the SD maps is about £103, and the labour for removing the Glove Box might take the cost up to near £150.  I bit of a bugger cost wise when map upgrades should be done at least every year.   I'd be grateful for any advice on removing the glove box.  If I can DIY it, I will fit a SD ribbon extender from the Kenwood, so that I will be able to get at the SD slot in future with out this work.  Someone on this Forum said the extenders are available on Ebay etc.  

1 minute ago, petdeb said:

What I've found out from the Skoda Dealership, is that the SD slot in the glove box is only for Media such as music and is not to upgrade the Kenwood Software.  The SD slot for doing upgrades is in the unit itself and the Glove Box needs to be removed to get at it.  That said, the SD maps is about £103, and the labour for removing the Glove Box might take the cost up to near £150.  I bit of a bugger cost wise when map upgrades should be done at least every year.   I'd be grateful for any advice on removing the glove box.  If I can DIY it, I will fit a SD ribbon extender from the Kenwood, so that I will be able to get at the SD slot in future with out this work.  Someone on this Forum said the extenders are available on Ebay etc.  

I think it is Skoda's problem. They sold us the unit and they didn't say that maps and fitting would be extra. A unit that only lasts a year and then needs expensive upgrades is not "fit for purpose" Just to reminds us: 

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 requires goods to be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

Fit for purpose means both for their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (for example, if you specifically asked for a printer that would be compatible with your computer, or wall tiles that would be suitable for use in a bathroom). 

Goods sold must also match any sample you were shown in store, or any description in a brochure.

The only time goods are not required to be satisfactory quality is if a defect or issue was specifically drawn to  your attention before you bought them.

So, if you examined the goods and had the opportunity to notice (but failed to do so) that they were not of satisfactory quality; or, in the case of sale by sample, if the lack of quality would have been obvious on a reasonable examination of the sample, you would not be able to argue that the goods were not of satisfactory quality.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, popski said:

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 requires goods to be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

The sale of goods act doesn't exist any more. You need the consumer rights act.

As I said it was a couple of months ago that I updated ours, & can't remember exactly what I did, but from what I remember. A message came up on the screen saying to update the maps, pretty sure it gave a website address, which was actually a Garmin site IIRC. Just downloaded the update on to a SD card & stuck it in the Kenwood SD slot, it did the rest. TMC works very well for us.

41 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

The sale of goods act doesn't exist any more. You need the consumer rights act.

Sorry pasted wrong link. :blush:

The principle remains the same.

As with the Sale of Goods Act, under the Consumer Rights Act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.  

The rules also include digital content in this definition. So all products - whether physical or digital - must meet the following standards:  

• Satisfactory quality  Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them. You should ask what a reasonable person would consider satisfactory for the goods in question. For example, bargain-bucket products won’t be held to as high standards as luxury  goods. 
  • Fit for purpose  The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods. 
  • As described  The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.
Edited by popski

I emailed Kenwood support ([email protected]) to find out when the 2017 maps would be available, as I don't want to pay for something that's already over a year out of date (the currently-available 2016 maps came out in May last year). Their response was:

"Garmin have yet to release the 2017 maps- there is no actual ETA however we are hoping they will be released within the next month or so."

Will have to see what other options are...

• 5 weeks later...