Osram Night Breaker Unlimited

Sippo

Surely if they are that bright will they not last as long? Just a thought? I dont know what the're general longetivity is like?

I have the same bulbs. 3 years in 16k miles and they've not blown yet. Depends if you want better lights or are prepared to run with the OE ones. Personally I'll have the better light and be prepared to change them more frequently if needs be but at only about £13 a pair it's not the end of the world if one blows?

• Like 1

Surely if they are that bright will they not last as long? Just a thought? I dont know what the're general longetivity is like?

From my experience of Osram Night breakers, they tend to last anywhere from 9 to 18 months.

• 4 weeks later...

Even though you have evidence that you're dazzling other motorists? Nice.

Only a few people have flashed. A lot of xenon's are really bright on newer cars. If the lights are legal what can you do?

Keep adjusting them downwards until people stop flashing you?

Why when he has stated they are within tolerance?

I used to get flashed a few times on the M8 when going to work at stupid o'clock in the morning. As a consequence of this, I would specifically ask for the lights to be checked at every service, each time they come back as being within tolerance.

Never received any advisories after any of my Mot's, and yet I would still get the occasional driver flashing at me.

They would soon stop when I used to put full beam on, but now I just ignore it.

Are these bulbs really that good

No. Despite the marketing, they are only marginally brighter than standard halogen bulbs and the novelty of this marginal improvement wears off when you realise the bulbs last about 6 months.

Don't expect to get anything like Xenon performance......you won't, and as the Octavia has projector headlights you might as well fit a HID kit for not much more money.   

Why when he has stated they are within tolerance?

I used to get flashed a few times on the M8 when going to work at stupid o'clock in the morning. As a consequence of this, I would specifically ask for the lights to be checked at every service, each time they come back as being within tolerance.

Never received any advisories after any of my Mot's, and yet I would still get the occasional driver flashing at me.

They would soon stop when I used to put full beam on, but now I just ignore it.

Because there is such a thing as 'consideration for other people'. Seems to be rather unfashionable, sadly.

• Like 1

Apologies to the OP for going off topic.

Your comments are unfathomable. You suggest to someone who has stated their lights are set correctly that he should continue to lower his lights until they no longer receive the 'occasional' flash from other drivers?

I'm surprised you haven't suggested he turns them off totally and employs someone to walk 20 feet in front of him whilst waving a red flag.

You'd also probably criticise him for driving with inadequate lighting. ;)

I have used these bulbs or earlier versions of them in my last 2 cars, transferred the most recent set from the old car to the octavia. IMHO they do make a big difference if you drive alot at night and on dark country lanes.

Generally they would last me about 12 months and they were used constantly day and night and I was a delivery driver with my old car. I had an old volvo so dipped beam on all the time. Now I choose to have my lights on at all times as I was used to dash being lit and much prefer my vehicle illuminated so it can be seen.

General usage I reckon they would probably last a bit longer than 12 months.

I have always used the brightest H7, H1 & H3 Osram bulbs available in all my cars for years. One set were in my Civic for over 3 years and 40K miles and were still in the car when I sold it. When I bought my Octavia vRS in June 2013 I immediately changed all 4 headlamp bulbs to the brightest Osram bulbs then available - these bulbs are still in the car after 24K miles in just over 30 months.

Remember that the output of all headlamp bulbs reduces with age, so new replacement bulbs will always look brighter than those they replace. A friend of mine who used to work for Lucas reckons it is well worth replacing all headlamp bulbs after about 2 years of average driving.